RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Bodyside Molding - A Design Opportunity?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-15, 01:11 PM
sderman
Advanced

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Bodyside Molding - A Design Opportunity?

Like most forum members I am not a fan of bodyside moldings, but I do feel the door panels for the new RX are just begging for a dent from a careless or jealous driver. I just encountered a picture of the bodyside molding on a new RX posted on another thread (re: window tinting) but I was unable to paste it in here. The link to the picture is below and hopefully it will process OK for those interested in seeing it.

The problem with bodyside moldings is that they are just too thin and indeed look like obvious add-ons. If only Lexus, or an after market supplier, could design moldings that really fit in with the contours of the new front and rear passenger door panels. Perhaps even with a slight downward tilt (back to front) to complement the present door styling. My 2 cents.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...b621addcfd.jpg
Old 12-31-15, 06:48 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Not into body side moldings but this one looks fine to me as it's got some chisel and complimentary design to it.
Old 01-01-16, 03:52 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Not fond of the body side molding. They take away from the lines but that is just a personal preference. For people who have to park in parking lots everyday, it can save you from "some" dings.
The following users liked this post:
Cfp46 (01-16-18)
Old 02-04-16, 09:16 AM
16RXSD
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thinking of putting these on worry about parking it in tight spaces people with beatrers fling the door open with no regard happened before in a vons parking lot. Anyone else using the bodyside moldings & have some pics?

Far as aftermarket they have chrome ones etc that fit in different places on the car on eBay u can see some.
Old 02-04-16, 10:00 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

These seem to be more of a decoration that to have much function. You will be lucky if the offending door hit it.
Old 02-04-16, 11:51 AM
16RXSD
Rookie

Originally Posted by RXOwner
These seem to be more of a decoration that to have much function. You will be lucky if the offending door hit it.
Why do you say that if someone swings their door open it sticks out so it will hit the body side molding instead of your door right?
Old 02-04-16, 12:10 PM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 16RXSD
Why do you say that if someone swings their door open it sticks out so it will hit the body side molding instead of your door right?
I would give you, at best, a 50% chance that the door will actually hit that little thin side molding. More like 20%. Pickup will hit you door way higher while smaller cars may hit below.

Maybe if you put three or four of these on each door . . . .
Old 02-04-16, 12:25 PM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by RXOwner
I have the BSM on my MDX and the wife's ES300h and it seems to work fine. To your point, I personally don't think the BSM looks bad in the pic, but for it to be really functional it looks to me like it needs to be about 6" higher. But then it would look terrible.
Old 02-04-16, 05:43 PM
16RXSD
Rookie

Originally Posted by wasjr
I have the BSM on my MDX and the wife's ES300h and it seems to work fine. To your point, I personally don't think the BSM looks bad in the pic, but for it to be really functional it looks to me like it needs to be about 6" higher. But then it would look terrible.
Yah I don't see how it wouldn't work whether or not the car opening the door next to you is higher or lower the door is a good3 feet tall so it should block it on most cars and suv's. Yah i've been thinking about installing myself and how high to put them and where would look best/most protective.
Old 02-05-16, 09:18 PM
16RXSD
Rookie

Ok I now see what RXOwner is saying received my lexus ones today and the edge of the door that sticks out towards the bottom of the rx sticks out even further then the door molding so perhaps the aftermarket ones that attach there would be more protective.
Old 03-04-16, 02:19 PM
JosersRX
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Body Side Moldings Yay or Nay

I'm currently ordered and I'm in wait to receive my 2016 RX 450h F Sport... only two more months (fingers crossed)

This is my 3rd RX. Honestly, I have opted for side moldings in both my previosu RXs (owned a 2004 RX350 and currently own a 2010 450H)... the moldings just complimented their softer designs

In the case with the 2016s: I say Nay
the ones that you can order with Lexus are just thick, thin and plain ugly. They take away from the lines and angles of this new design, in my opinion.

Honestly, if you are concerned with avoiding door dings... having moldings means nothing. Like I said, both my RXs have had moldings and you always park next to that one idiot that manages to dent your doors somehow

You just can't win!
Old 09-22-17, 07:02 PM
BuffaloRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body Side Moldings

Are the body side moldings effective on the 2017 RX350? Dealer really pushing them for the lease.
Old 09-22-17, 07:25 PM
mcfancy
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I disagree with this...I installed them right after purchase myself ang they have proven very useful and appealing. Ive found 2 chips already on tbem from car doors dinging into them; a little touch paint then hid it quite well eather than a noticwable inflection onto the sheet panel
Old 09-23-17, 11:35 PM
16rx350
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When I purchased my RX450H I had the dealer throw them in as a freebie when buying the car. Since they were designed for the car they would be the obvious choice and not aftermarket ones. How they look is a matter of personal taste. Yes the mouldings won't protect you all the time but to me having them there is better than having door dings from inconsiderate drivers. Better to have them than not have them. And like mcfancy says just touch up the moulding dings with touch up paint.
Old 10-19-17, 03:21 PM
bobbr
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 16rx350
When I purchased my RX450H I had the dealer throw them in as a freebie when buying the car. Since they were designed for the car they would be the obvious choice and not aftermarket ones. How they look is a matter of personal taste. Yes the mouldings won't protect you all the time but to me having them there is better than having door dings from inconsiderate drivers. Better to have them than not have them. And like mcfancy says just touch up the moulding dings with touch up paint.
Just got the BSM installed on my 2017 RX350 yesterday. I'm somewhat surprised how good it looked.
Hopefully it does what it said it would do.. protect the door panels from dings.

Quick Reply: Bodyside Molding - A Design Opportunity?