RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Rodent chewed my brand new Rx engine wire harness🤬

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-23, 08:53 PM
TWUNT
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rodent chewed my brand new Rx engine wire harness🤬

I’m in a difficult situation. A rodent chewed wires and connectors to my main engine wiring harness and the wires to my rear pass speed sensor. I took it to the service department of the Lexus dealership where I purchased for diagnostics. My quote specifically said the words “recommend engine wire harness replacement”. No where did it say repair. Anyhow, fats after I got the RX back I was driving on the highway and my dash lit up with 7 different warnings including brake,ABS,check engine, etc. and telling me to park immediately and call dealer. This was the same warnings given when the trouble started. I found out all wires were repaired and 3 plastic connectors were the only things replaced. The excuse this time was the speed sensor was not secure and they reattached it. I asked the mechanic to specify show me and explain what he did because this is the majority of the safety mechanisms keeping me safe. He told me that relating these wires was as good as new because he used tubes with “glue” to secure the wires together abs that he buys these things with his “own money”. Anyway on the way home for the 2nd time all the same warnings came back on. I’ve looked up what these tubes could be and basically they appear to be something easy to use and are like a heat shrink tubing with sauter inside. Is this standard? If it is, why is a Lexus mechanic having to purchase this himself ? I also read that you should never repair ABS sensor wire and always replace! My RX has not even had the first oil change yet. I read that service gets more money for repairs over replacement. I’m guessing especially short cut repairs! There is no way he spent 7 hours gluing 7 wires together and changing 3 connectors. I’m livid and lost faith for my RX to be fixed properly! The service department refuses to replace the part harness and it was pulling teeth to get a quote for that. I’d rather just sell it back to them at a reduced rate and walk away than deal with this BS anymore. I’ve dealt with their service manager in the past and don’t anticipate a happy resolution but I have to try. Any suggestions ?

Still shot of the dash lights and one of the diagnostic warning.
Old 01-02-23, 10:53 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,686 Likes on 2,274 Posts

sauter? Come on try harder.

Wiring harness repair is not easy and time consuming. Depending on the extent of damage rodents can write off a car, first step is get rid of the rodent problem or it won't matter how well the car is repaired.
Old 01-03-23, 05:56 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 465 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
sauter? Come on try harder.

Wiring harness repair is not easy and time consuming. Depending on the extent of damage rodents can write off a car, first step is get rid of the rodent problem or it won't matter how well the car is repaired.
Next step would be to get rid of his dealer. Perhaps a good body shop could help.
Old 01-03-23, 06:23 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 681 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by *****
... I took it to the service department of the Lexus dealership where I purchased for diagnostics. My quote specifically said the words “recommend engine wire harness replacement”. No where did it say repair. .... Any suggestions?
Underwhelming performance by the service tech & dealership, however, I think you actually did get your answer right there. Rodent damage to wiring harnesses is a well-known problem, especially in the southwest USA. A personal friend of mine at Prescott, AZ, had to replace the wiring in her BMW some years ago, at great expense.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...s-a5816950285/
https://www.terminix.com/rodent-cont...-from-rodents/
https://www.wheels.ca/news/rodent-damage

and a Toyota dealer's contribution:
https://www.captoyota.com/service/in...-car-wires.htm

I would be as horrified as you with that kind of damage to a brand new RX, however I don't think a lot of drama with your dealer and service tech is the path to a solution, regardless of the repair techniques and materials used, nor is Lexus corporate going to take any responsibility for the problem. For damage to most of the non-body components of your automobile, the normal approach is "remove and replace". That is what they said you need. I don't think I'd feel confident with a bunch of hand-applied tape or shrink tubing or whatever on my new RX's wiring. Two cents worth.

The following 3 users liked this post by dibl:
coolbrazz (01-03-23), ravenuer (01-03-23), RGSW (01-03-23)
Old 01-03-23, 09:58 AM
Lead Lap

Received 741 Likes on 499 Posts

As it’s not covered under warranty, go to a dealer who actually has the skills to replace the harness.
Old 01-03-23, 02:09 PM
chuckNX
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Happened to my friend's Toyota Highlander Hybrid. Twice! About $4k in damage each time.

Something to do with the newer cars having soy-based wiring harnesses rather than petroleum based. Soy-based attracts rodents even more. Once they find your car, it will most likely keep happening unless you park inside a garage, and place rodent traps outside.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...les/578398002/

Last edited by chuckNX; 01-03-23 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-03-23, 02:29 PM
jrobe
Pit Crew

Received 116 Likes on 67 Posts

I would make a call to my insurance agent. Why wouldn’t this be covered just like a broken windshield, etc.?
Old 01-03-23, 06:15 PM
dibl
Instructor

Originally Posted by jrobe
... Why wouldn’t this be covered just like a broken windshield, etc.?
BECAUSE, the actual cause of the problem -- the rats -- remain in position to cause it AGAIN.

Old 01-03-23, 06:28 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,331 Likes on 1,684 Posts

Insurance ABSOLUTELY covers this. I know two instances of this where it was completely paid for.
Old 01-04-23, 05:40 AM
larrytrk
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Regular Auto Insurance covered this on my Audi, last year. Good luck.
Old 01-04-23, 06:13 AM
Lexspeed
Pit Crew

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by dibl
BECAUSE, the actual cause of the problem -- the rats -- remain in position to cause it AGAIN.
A tornado damaged my house. My insurance reimbursed me for repairs of the damage. Tornados still exist and my insurance will still cover me for tornado damage.
Old 01-04-23, 09:56 AM
dibl
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lexspeed
A tornado damaged my house. My insurance reimbursed me for repairs of the damage. Tornados still exist and my insurance will still cover me for tornado damage.
Touche!

Rats look a lot more like a preventable risk than tornados do, to me. But I'm no insurance underwriter, so .... OP will find out ......
The following users liked this post:
bamalam (01-04-23)
Old 01-04-23, 12:10 PM
Doctj
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts

Sorry to hear OP.
what rodent caused this if you know ?
and I’m inclined to agree that this may be covered under insurance.
if not then try to get it resolved with dealer or walk away from the car at a loss.
But even with a new car , unless you fix the rodent issue or show that the rodents are at the dealer, then this will otherwise happen again at your place.
Old 01-04-23, 06:51 PM
jrobe
Pit Crew

Received 116 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by dibl
This certainly isn't correct or even logical. Insurance policies don't limit coverage only to things that could never recur. Virtually every cause of auto damage are things that could happen more than once (deer, rocks, ice, snow, vandals, fire, storms, etc.).

The majority of comprehensive insurance policies should cover damage like this. There are may online articles about this. Here is one link.

https://www.way.com/blog/does-car-in...rodent-damage/
Old 01-05-23, 01:41 AM
dibl
Instructor

OK, one last attempt at self-defense, and then I'll drop this off-topic line of debate.

OP didn't say whether his insurance would or wouldn't cover the cost in the original post.

jrobe asked the hypothetical question "Why wouldn't this be covered ....?"

I gave an answer to the hyothetical, which appears to be less than pleasing to some.

The link to the way.com blog in jrobe's post above is broken, and I also cannot get this forum code to link it correctly, but I chased down the article. Read it and you'll find this paragraph (bold added for emphasis):

Does your car insurance cover damages caused by a rodent?

Comprehensive insurance will cover the damage caused by rodents like rats or mice that get inside your car. However, if you do not have comprehensive insurance, you will be responsible for the expense of the damage.
Because let’s face it, the rodents aren’t going to pay for it.

Comprehensive insurance protects your car from various damages. These include damages caused by fire, extreme weather, vandalism, theft, falling items, and animal damage when it is not being driven. Rodents nibbling through your car’s electrical wiring aren’t always covered by comprehensive insurance. Check your policy and the specific terms of your comprehensive coverage to see if damage by a rodent is covered.

So, I will happily admit that this is a far better and more complete answer to the hypothetical, than the one I wrote — sorry!

Last edited by dibl; 01-05-23 at 11:28 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by dibl:
coolbrazz (01-05-23), daddiojigg (02-04-23), jollick (01-05-23)

Quick Reply: Rodent chewed my brand new Rx engine wire harness🤬