RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Touch Free Rear Door Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-17, 08:24 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by LCTMadison
I actually think it is one of my favorite features. I love that I do not have to remove my key from my purse to do anything....unlock/open door, open rear hatch, etc.

To each its own, but I disagree it is a "gimmick".
I think that some folks feel it's a gimmick simply because it is just as easy and more effective to push the latch then to wave your hand and hope, and of course you still don't have to remove your key fob from your purse.
Old 08-30-17, 12:11 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,336 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Originally Posted by Nail34
I think that some folks feel it's a gimmick simply because it is just as easy and more effective to push the latch then to wave your hand and hope, and of course you still don't have to remove your key fob from your purse.
I suppose Ford's kick release is not a gimmick.
Old 08-30-17, 02:28 PM
stevemcb
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I did not think much of the touch free feature at first. You have to learn how to use it. Now I really like being able to have groceries, etc. in both hands and just touch it with my elbow. It comes in very handy. Try it with your elbow. You will be surprised how nice it works when your hands are full.
Old 08-30-17, 04:06 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I suppose Ford's kick release is not a gimmick.
I would laugh every time I kicked my car in the butt, no doubt you've heard of: A One-Legged Man In An ***-Kicking Contest. ROFLMAO!!!
Old 08-30-17, 04:21 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by stevemcb
I did not think much of the touch free feature at first. You have to learn how to use it. Now I really like being able to have groceries, etc. in both hands and just touch it with my elbow. It comes in very handy. Try it with your elbow. You will be surprised how nice it works when your hands are full.
I do it and it works every time, I just cup my hand and put 4 fingers on top of the emblem. I'd like to see it work when the fob is inside the car. Honestly for me, I don't think the elbow maneuver would be useful more than 1 time per year, if that. I've got 9,000 miles in 7 months and I haven't had the need to use it once, although my wife does do grocery shopping.
Old 09-19-17, 07:24 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

i think my touch-free sensor(emblem) is loose, as I can move it side to side in it's indent. Discovered when trying to figure out how to make it activate consistently. Can anyone confirm that there shouldn't be any movement? Worried about moisture getting in around it.
Old 09-19-17, 07:33 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 505 Likes on 363 Posts

Mine is tight
The following users liked this post:
mspearl95 (09-20-17)
Old 09-19-17, 08:58 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by mspearl95
i think my touch-free sensor(emblem) is loose, as I can move it side to side in it's indent. Discovered when trying to figure out how to make it activate consistently. Can anyone confirm that there shouldn't be any movement? Worried about moisture getting in around it.
Mine is tight also. Your concern is warranted & should be fixed soonest.
mspearl95 (09-20-17)
Old 09-20-17, 02:37 AM
LCTMadison
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nail34
When your hands are full, it makes it harder to push the latch. Being able to touch the emblem with your elbow to open without having to put stuff down to free your hands is great.

I wouldn't want to be able to open with the key fob in car....safety would be my concern.

My emblem is tight, does not move at all. I would take that to Lexus to get it fixed.
mspearl95 (09-20-17)
Old 09-20-17, 04:28 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Mine has a slight amount of play, maybe 1/8 or less. Since I have to go in tomorrow for the transmission (again) I will point it out. They have already had to fix something with my touch free mechanism. Maybe they didn't torque it down enough.
mspearl95 (09-20-17)
Old 09-21-17, 08:05 AM
FastFord
Racer

For those of you that have a loose badge. Lexus has been replacing lots of them. Apparently there are a bunch of them that the tabs are not right. I mentioned to the SA today when I took my RX in for hesitation and he knew exactly what I meant. It does not screw/tighten in from behind.

They are replacing it ....
gadgetman1 (09-21-17)
Old 09-21-17, 07:20 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by FastFord
For those of you that have a loose badge. Lexus has been replacing lots of them. Apparently there are a bunch of them that the tabs are not right. I mentioned to the SA today when I took my RX in for hesitation and he knew exactly what I meant. It does not screw/tighten in from behind.

They are replacing it ....
funny, i was told by the dealer today that the badge movement was normal, and is just how it is. I checked a few on the lot and they all showed movement. I was also told by the service tech that Lexus is doing away with the touch- free badge, and going with the kick version like ford.
Old 09-22-17, 05:24 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,336 Likes on 1,687 Posts

funny, i was told by the dealer today that the badge movement was normal, and is just how it is. I checked a few on the lot and they all showed movement. I was also told by the service tech that Lexus is doing away with the touch- free badge, and going with the kick version like ford.
Great - The "gimmick" that one of our posters was hoping for.
Old 09-22-17, 06:52 AM
FastFord
Racer

I guess it depends on how much movement is considered normal. Mine moves more than the two others at the dealer today. Goes completely across the indent area. Seems kind of loose to me. I would suspect there is probably some movement as it's just held in with tabs, not screw/bolt type of connection.

The movement is from side to side, not up and down. On a side note, it works every time since they did some ecu update on it.
Old 09-22-17, 07:00 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by FastFord
I guess it depends on how much movement is considered normal. Mine moves more than the two others at the dealer today. Goes completely across the indent area. Seems kind of loose to me. I would suspect there is probably some movement as it's just held in with tabs, not screw/bolt type of connection.

The movement is from side to side, not up and down. On a side note, it works every time since they did some ecu update on it.
does the movement harm the paint in that location, or it just floats above it??

Quick Reply: Touch Free Rear Door Issues