Notices
RX - 4th Gen (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touch Free Rear Door Issues

Old 03-10-19, 07:20 AM
ravenuer
Lead Lap

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Mine has always been flakey. I just use the button above the license plate. I figure if I have a hand free to wave at the emblem, I can use the same hand to push the button.
Old 03-10-19, 10:50 AM
c3uo
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also forgot to mention, mine works by holding my elbow / forearm over the emblem for a second or two. Works great. Waving my hand... not so much.
Old 03-10-19, 12:08 PM
CharmCtyIS
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hover hand/elbow/arm a few inches from the top half of the emblem. Works every time. Just like someone else said, don't wave.
Old 03-10-19, 07:56 PM
lexnewbi
Pole Position

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

If the doors are locked, you might have to wait for the doors to unlock, before removing the hand. I find it harder to get it to open when the doors are locked. Probably because I see the lights flash and remove my hand. That usually unlocks the doors, but does not open the trunk.
The following users liked this post:
Nail34 (03-11-19)
Old 03-11-19, 04:52 PM
GSFRX350
Pole Position

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

And don't leave your hand there too long, it actually won't open then. Just place any body part close and above emblem, you'll hear the noise and then move body part away.
Old 03-11-19, 06:43 PM
1Louder
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ravenuer View Post
Mine has always been flakey. I just use the button above the license plate. I figure if I have a hand free to wave at the emblem, I can use the same hand to push the button.
I was just going to say the same thing. The location of the hands free sensor is puzzling - why would they put it 9" away from the actual button? I get the idea that you can use a body part if your hands are full, but how often does that really happen? And if my hands are full, am I really going to stick an elbow out there? Seems like a useless feature to me - would have been far better to have it foot activated.
Old 03-11-19, 06:51 PM
GSFRX350
Pole Position

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Louder View Post
I was just going to say the same thing. The location of the hands free sensor is puzzling - why would they put it 9" away from the actual button? I get the idea that you can use a body part if your hands are full, but how often does that really happen? And if my hands are full, am I really going to stick an elbow out there? Seems like a useless feature to me - would have been far better to have it foot activated.
Well I guess it doesn't matter how far from the button it is, irrelevant if you ask me - I often use my arm/elbow when carrying things, just the right height to wave my arm above it. Foot operated ones??? So balancing on one foot while carrying items, not a good idea, I'd rather have two feet planted on the ground.
The following users liked this post:
chunktwo (03-13-19)
Old 03-13-19, 11:36 AM
chunktwo
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GSFRX350 View Post
Well I guess it doesn't matter how far from the button it is, irrelevant if you ask me - I often use my arm/elbow when carrying things, just the right height to wave my arm above it. Foot operated ones??? So balancing on one foot while carrying items, not a good idea, I'd rather have two feet planted on the ground.
at first i thought the touch-free button was silly and didn't think i would use it.. but sure enough.. one day i had my left hand full of grocery bags and was carrying my daughter with my right arm... i didn't want to set anything down because it was raining - i just used my elbow to get close enough.
it comes in handy once in a while - I couldn't imagine trying to balance on one foot for the foot operated ones.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Touch Free Rear Door Issues

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: