ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-4th-gen-2016-2022-273/)
-   -   Touch Free Rear Door Issues (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-4th-gen-2016-2022/807637-touch-free-rear-door-issues.html)

ravenuer 12-01-17 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jiggz858 (Post 10043948)
One thing he missed to explain also is that if you double tap the "Close" PBD switch not only does it closes the PBD but also locks the vehicle at the same time.

Why thanks! I've been standing there waiting for the PBD to close and lock, then I'd lock the rest of the doors!

Jiggz858 12-01-17 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by ravenuer (Post 10044761)
Why thanks! I've been standing there waiting for the PBD to close and lock, then I'd lock the rest of the doors!

You're welcome. Although it states that it's a touchless PBD, in reality you can put or lay your middle three fingers on top of the "L" and it will still open. You don't necessarily have to hold the palm of your hand above it. The main thing is that you keep your hand above the top of the "L" for at least 2~3 secs. There is a dealer only adjustment for the PDB sensitivity, i.e. Low (default), Med and High. On my 5K check up this is one of the adjustments I need to make from Low to Med and the other is the turn signal blinker speed from 3 to 5 per sec.

JSracer 12-02-17 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jiggz858 (Post 10044774)
You're welcome. Although it states that it's a touchless PBD, in reality you can put or lay your middle three fingers on top of the "L" and it will still open. You don't necessarily have to hold the palm of your hand above it. The main thing is that you keep your hand above the top of the "L" for at least 2~3 secs. There is a dealer only adjustment for the PDB sensitivity, i.e. Low (default), Med and High. On my 5K check up this is one of the adjustments I need to make from Low to Med and the other is the turn signal blinker speed from 3 to 5 per sec.

was the low to med a good improvement ?? might get that done when i take delivery. thanks !!

ggebhardt 12-02-17 03:35 AM

Mine seems overly sensitive and I have to be quite careful about leaning on the back of the vehicle while trying to dry it after a wash.

JSracer 12-02-17 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by ggebhardt (Post 10045411)
Mine seems overly sensitive and I have to be quite careful about leaning on the back of the vehicle while trying to dry it after a wash.

did you have yours changed or is it still on low ?? my overnight test drive we had a hard time getting the feature to work.

ggebhardt 12-02-17 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by JSracer (Post 10045423)
did you have yours changed or is it still on low ?? my overnight test drive we had a hard time getting the feature to work.

Not sure what it is set at by the factory, I have never changed or had it changed. Has always worked well for me but I do admit that I forget about it and use the soft button about the tag 99% of the time. Last times my truck opened with the sensor was while washing or waxing.

gadgetman1 12-02-17 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by ggebhardt (Post 10045483)
Not sure what it is set at by the factory, I have never changed or had it changed. Has always worked well for me but I do admit that I forget about it and use the soft button about the tag 99% of the time. Last times my truck opened with the sensor was while washing or waxing.

Look deep into your settings menus. I remember seeing that adjustment listed. I would go dig up the path on my own, but it’s in the shop. I’ve actually activated my hatch while waxing the car also. Having said that, I wouldn’t change the settings based on accidentally opening while working around the sensor. Mine was so hit-or-miss opening, that I learned to lay the heal of my palm on the top of the “L”. It works every time now.

Nail34 12-02-17 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by JSracer (Post 10045402)
was the low to med a good improvement ?? might get that done when i take delivery. thanks !!

Standard is low, being conservative I had it changed to med and that wasn't much of a change so I went to high and that was fine, not overly sensitive.
Don't forget, everybody's touch sensitivity is slightly deferent, so I think it is better to wait until and see if low works for you. If you are not happy, just ask the dealer change it.

StephP 12-31-17 09:58 AM

Touch free power rear door not working on new Lexus

I picked up my new 2017 Lexus RX 350 yesterday and the touch free feature of the rear door is not working. No one at the dealership could get it to work. I am supposed to bring it back in so it can be evaluated by the service department. My concern is that there could be too much deconstructing of my new vehicle. Anyone have this issue and how was it resolved?

garyclee 12-31-17 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by StephP (Post 10068328)
I picked up my new 2017 Lexus RX 350 yesterday and the touch free feature of the rear door is not working. No one at the dealership could get it to work. I am supposed to bring it back in so it can be evaluated by the service department. My concern is that there could be too much deconstructing of my new vehicle. Anyone have this issue and how was it resolved?

Make sure it is turned on - it can be found in the PBD (Power Back Door) settings in the instrument cluster. I believe the nav screen only allows you to change the opening height.

Also, the sensor is located on the upper part of the emblem, so try actually touching the upper part of the emblem. I know this destroys the point of the touch free, however this always works for me.

gadgetman1 12-31-17 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by StephP (Post 10068328)

I would be VERY concerned & angry with that dealership. Checking all features & showing you how to work them is part of the delivery process. Clearly, they failed. Good luck!

GoHuskers 02-01-18 09:15 AM

This touch-less feature is annoying, never works once for me...I just use the button above the license plate and it never failed me.

tomtom74 02-01-18 09:37 AM

It works every time and never had problem with mine. When my hands are full, even work with shoulder or elbow.

ericsan13 02-01-18 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Elation (Post 10099695)
You won’t be able to reach those unless you are 7’ tall anyway lol.

Today I learned the touchless sensor won’t work when it’s wet.
I parked the car at Costco and tried to open it and it wouldn’t work. The emblem was wet from melted snow on road.
When I got home and parked, it worked fine. No moisture on emblem at that time.
I didn’t wipe it, the road was dried and so it didn’t get wet on the way home.

Mine works perfectly fine when wet or even when it is covered by snow. Might have to do with your sensitivity settings?

JSracer 02-02-18 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by ericsan13 (Post 10100575)
Mine works perfectly fine when wet or even when it is covered by snow. Might have to do with your sensitivity settings?

was your setting changed or still default ??
thanks