RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-17, 03:38 PM
cec327
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mspearl95
there is a whole thread about this. It is a well-known and widespread issue.
It's a wide spread issue because some owners are on this sit are complaining about it? Isn't that the purpose of this comment section anyhow? In other words that would be the expected norm-- those who have problems would respond in this comment section.
I would love to drive a vehicle with the noise and vibration problems so I could better understand the problem that we are discussing..
Old 11-06-17, 05:07 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by cec327
It's a wide spread issue because some owners are on this sit are complaining about it? Isn't that the purpose of this comment section anyhow? In other words that would be the expected norm-- those who have problems would respond in this comment section.
I would love to drive a vehicle with the noise and vibration problems so I could better understand the problem that we are discussing..
I don’t have the issue on my RX, but I would consider it a widespread issue. People are having it throughout the USA & Canada. I test drove a new RX-350 & I heard it. These folks are not making it up. The sound is annoying & shouldn’t be present on such a refined vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
pa1thak (12-05-17)
Old 11-06-17, 06:39 PM
hbc0175
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My vibration hesitation experience

Originally Posted by giovane
This thread is all about the vibration and drone noise and people who are experiencing it.
I tried to read all the pages of this thread but I couldn't figure out how many are affected by this problem.
I just bought a pre owned 12k miles 2016 AWD and I don't have this issue, but maybe I have to drive it longer in order to replicate it.

So my question. What is the in your opinion the percentage of 4th gen owners affected by this issue?
Maybe Lexus is not considering it a urgent fix since they can't see too many cars affected? My $ 0.02
Ive already asked Lexus to see if there was an issue at my 10,000 mile service and they said there was indeed an update to the engine for shifting. I was experiencing major vibration/slippage between gear shifts. So after the update it’s better but still have an issue. I notice that in normal mode when the car accelerates to around 30-35 mph and leaves eco mode is when it vibrates/hesitates. I’ve not sorted through all of the issues in this forum so I wonder if that was an observation from others?

ill be mentioning this on my next service visit. 2017 rx350 AWD
Old 11-06-17, 09:17 PM
Bighead98
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is also a lease, I planned to buy it after lease ends, so I paid a lot for the 7-year warranty. so fool.
Old 11-07-17, 04:27 PM
cec327
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
I don’t have the issue on my RX, but I would consider it a widespread issue. People are having it throughout the USA & Canada. I test drove a new RX-350 & I heard it. These folks are not making it up. The sound is annoying & shouldn’t be present on such a refined vehicle.
My point is that there is no quantitative measure that I know that measures this problem. What constitutes a " wide spread issue"? How do we have a survey to determine if it is a " wide spread issue" if each person is determines what the problem is?
Old 11-07-17, 04:36 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

My point is that there is no quantitative measure that I know that measures this problem. What constitutes a " wide spread issue"? How do we have a survey to determine if it is a " wide spread issue" if each person is determines what the problem is?
I would suggest a well-versed forum member or an admin create a questionnaire for all 2016 & above RX 350s & then build a small database with the model, state/location & start looking for trends. A few people have posed videos of the sound. They were the same as I heard on my test drive.
Old 11-07-17, 04:51 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Its really hard to say. I can guarantee you there are some out there which aren't being reported. I recently switched cars with my wife. I'm driving her 2016 Tahoe and she's driving the Lexus. She feels the vibration but it doesn't bother her. I'll bet that women are more forgiving when it comes to these type of issues. I know my expectations are higher, but when a 4x4 truck is quieter and smoother then s Lexus something is wrong. I keep saying this and I will keep saying it, EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED With the way Lexus IS just ignoring this issue. On a brighter note, I am very pleased with the Tahoe. Chevy has defintely stepped up their game.
Old 11-07-17, 05:33 PM
yangli2007
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious, does anyone know if the vehicles experiencing this issue and the engine/transmission hesitation issue (from another thread) are unique to Cambridge Ontario plant-built vehicles or are the Japan-build vehicles prone as well? I am ready to go with a 2017 RX350 AWD this weekend, but having read this thread, I'm getting cold feet...Had a bad experience with a droning Acura a couple years ago, turned out to be a drive shaft issue.
Old 11-07-17, 05:38 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by tdjacw
Its really hard to say. I can guarantee you there are some out there which aren't being reported. I recently switched cars with my wife. I'm driving her 2016 Tahoe and she's driving the Lexus. She feels the vibration but it doesn't bother her. I'll bet that women are more forgiving when it comes to these type of issues. I know my expectations are higher, but when a 4x4 truck is quieter and smoother then s Lexus something is wrong. I keep saying this and I will keep saying it, EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED With the way Lexus IS just ignoring this issue. On a brighter note, I am very pleased with the Tahoe. Chevy has defintely stepped up their game.
Ive been saying GM has gotten better ever since they came out of bankruptcy. Unfortunately, they are building in Mexico & quality is very inconsistent. You might get a nearly perfect truck or SUV & I might get a complete lemon. Toyota is still light years ahead of nearly any other manufacturer in consistency.
Old 11-07-17, 05:45 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by yangli2007
Just curious, does anyone know if the vehicles experiencing this issue and the engine/transmission hesitation issue (from another thread) are unique to Cambridge Ontario plant-built vehicles or are the Japan-build vehicles prone as well? I am ready to go with a 2017 RX350 AWD this weekend, but having read this thread, I'm getting cold feet...Had a bad experience with a droning Acura a couple years ago, turned out to be a drive shaft issue.
Again, a database would need to be built with each vehicle’s build location. How many RX models are sold in the US & Canada that are not built in Canada? I didn’t think there were any, but I could be wrong.
Old 11-07-17, 05:48 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by yangli2007
I would give the one you buy a really long test drive. Mine seems to get worse when it's been driven for a while.
You can clearly feel the vibration in the gas pedal and steering when accelerating. Good luck, hopefully yours will be fine.
The following users liked this post:
yangli2007 (11-07-17)
Old 11-07-17, 06:17 PM
yangli2007
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would give the one you buy a really long test drive. Mine seems to get worse when it's been driven for a while.
You can clearly feel the vibration in the gas pedal and steering when accelerating. Good luck, hopefully yours will be fine.
Thank you! I’m going to climb underneath the car to look for the dampers, or maybe go for a 450h.

Last edited by yangli2007; 11-07-17 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-07-17, 07:23 PM
Koetsu
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2017 RX 350, which is quite nice to start with cold, becomes even smoother once the engine is warmed up (Temp half way between C and H).
Old 11-07-17, 09:31 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

I'm sure there must be many others not reported on this forum - just think about, there would be a lot of people who are older who buy RXs, many of them not "car people", many who wouldn't even think about going on a car forum, people who don't really appreciate the differences between a refined/not refined car.

Like cec327 on here said the reason you're on this site may well be because you have an issue with your car, looking for answers to the issue so the percentage of problem vehicles may seem very high as "everyone" is having the issue.

"Just curious, does anyone know if the vehicles experiencing this issue and the engine/transmission hesitation issue (from another thread) are unique to Cambridge Ontario plant-built vehicles or are the Japan-build vehicles prone as well? I am ready to go with a 2017 RX350 AWD this weekend, but having read this thread, I'm getting cold feet...Had a bad experience with a droning Acura a couple years ago, turned out to be a drive shaft issue."

I'm curious about this also, US/Canadian people seem to be the only ones with issues, haven't seen anything for the rest of the world and here in Australia Lexus say they don't know of issues.
Old 11-07-17, 10:09 PM
huihui
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I cant understand why you keep going to this thread, your car is perfect, we all know!!!!
hi I feel you as I am in the same situation. my car was fine for the first 2-3k then it developed the noise and vibe. I just crawled under it and put two dampers like Walter's, but i put two on the same clamp right after the cat. test drove it around the blocks. very good improvement.

still working with lexus as i'd like to have their official fix. but in the meantime, at least, hopefully it wont drive crazy.

good luck with you.

Last edited by kitlz; 11-08-17 at 02:21 AM. Reason: not nice

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration