RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-17, 01:01 PM
lefty75
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just make sure the fix is ready before your warranty expires.
Old 04-29-17, 06:24 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I just received a copy of the report from the field technician who I took for a test drive last week. He assured me that they are diligently working on a fix but the report says this is a normal condition for this vechicle. So I guess if they cant come up with a fix they can just keep saying its normal in which case there is nothing we can do.
Old 04-29-17, 07:24 AM
pkumar1981
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tdjacw
I just received a copy of the report from the field technician who I took for a test drive last week. He assured me that they are diligently working on a fix but the report says this is a normal condition for this vechicle. So I guess if they cant come up with a fix they can just keep saying its normal in which case there is nothing we can do.

statement contradicts itself, "working diligently" for almost a year to solve this problem, yet 16's 17's both have the noise . How diligently does one have to work to solve this fix? I mean they design and manufacture cars for a living ... but then their statement is also " its normal part of new RX body style" ... So your fixing what's normal ? I too got
same report. They r brushing us off ...
Old 04-29-17, 08:28 AM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by pkumar1981
statement contradicts itself, "working diligently" for almost a year to solve this problem, yet 16's 17's both have the noise . How diligently does one have to work to solve this fix? I mean they design and manufacture cars for a living ... but then their statement is also " its normal part of new RX body style" ... So your fixing what's normal ? I too got
same report. They r brushing us off ...
agreed, Lexus isn't doing anything more than giving lip service. This is why I stopped wasting time with dealers. One of the first things I do when I shop any car, is to search user forums and YouTube. With posts like this, I wouldn't buy this car, just like we avoided the Tacoma and new Pilot for transmission issues. Lexus takes a calculated risk that having two giant threads with hundreds of posts doesn't impact their bottom line.
Old 04-29-17, 09:22 AM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I think techs cannot do much. Even though they agree that there is an issue with the car it is working as designed therefore nothing to repair.
Old 04-29-17, 09:35 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Oldfart
I think techs cannot do much. Even though they agree that there is an issue with the car it is working as designed therefore nothing to repair.
I have to disagree with you. The Field Tech said mine wasn't really bad others that hes been in were herendous ( HIS WORDS).
I really dont think they designed it that way. Somewhere between prototype and manufacturing something is out of spec from car to car.
Old 04-29-17, 09:58 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

Old 04-29-17, 11:24 AM
pkumar1981
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aznkorboi

Difficult to make out the noise . How many seconds into the video does your vibration noise occur at,?
Old 04-29-17, 12:10 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by pkumar1981
Difficult to make out the noise . How many seconds into the video does your vibration noise occur at,?
You can hear it at 5 seconds! Sometimes it's longer but not as long as yours.
Old 04-29-17, 01:34 PM
pkumar1981
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
You can hear it at 5 seconds! Sometimes it's longer but not as long as yours.

At 57 degrees F it's not as noticeable on a recording however I'm sure it's much more noticeable from interior cabin. Some of my recordings are from when it was below 50's so much louder ..: either way it's unacceptable
Old 04-29-17, 09:52 PM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I have to disagree with you. The Field Tech said mine wasn't really bad others that hes been in were herendous ( HIS WORDS).
I really dont think they designed it that way. Somewhere between prototype and manufacturing something is out of spec from car to car.
It is easy to replace a faulty part but if the car operates the way it came out from assembly line there is nothing that tech can do. Only when buyers will begin to reject to buy cars from the lot due to horrendous noise/vibration only then Lexus will pay attention.
Old 04-30-17, 04:13 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Oldfart
It is easy to replace a faulty part but if the car operates the way it came out from assembly line there is nothing that tech can do. Only when buyers will begin to reject to buy cars from the lot due to horrendous noise/vibration only then Lexus will pay attention.
I understand what you're saying, agreed Techs can not do anything at this point. What gets me is that Im told the noise and vibration are normal for this car. In the next statement I'm told engineering is diligently working on a fix.
Why would they be working on a fix for a normal condition. Sounds to me like s design flaw that their getting alot of complaints about and are trying to come up with a modification to make it better. The catch 22 here is they never come up with a fix, they
can just keep saying its normal. For the owner there's really nothing we can do except spread the word not to buy this vechicle.
Old 05-01-17, 12:17 PM
lefty75
Rookie

I understand what you're saying, agreed Techs can not do anything at this point. What gets me is that Im told the noise and vibration are normal for this car. In the next statement I'm told engineering is diligently working on a fix.
Why would they be working on a fix for a normal condition. Sounds to me like s design flaw that their getting alot of complaints about and are trying to come up with a modification to make it better. The catch 22 here is they never come up with a fix, they
can just keep saying its normal. For the owner there's really nothing we can do except spread the word not to buy this vechicle.
Or owners with this issue can get together and file a lawsuit, anyone on this board a lawyer?
Old 05-01-17, 12:25 PM
qubit
Driver School Candidate

Default The RX with a mind of its own

Hi all. With the temperature swings, i have come to see the different moods of my RX. The vehicle is a pleasure to drive during warmer weather and as long as you are touching the 1500 rpm mark constantly.

When the temperature dips, it's such a displeasure to drive - make me feel like an idiot for paying premium dollars for such junk. Yesterday was the worst, as i was driving up a long bridge and the speed/rpm combo brought out the worst face of my RX - could feel so much vibration in the steering wheel.

It has only been a month with this SUV and i don't know how long i will be able to digest this crap. There is absolutely no 'lexus smoothness' with this lexus. (Hate myself for trading in my ES300H)
Old 05-01-17, 02:53 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

I feel lucky not to have noise or vibration. I also don't have any drone as people are calling it. There is a little rumble that happens around 1500 rpm, but certainly not a drone. I wish there was someone with one that I could hear personally. Guy around the corner has one and he has no issues either. Had a few out from the dealer and no issues.

I did have the hesitation issue, but that has been cleared up.

Hopefully Lexus will find a solution for those with this problem...sorry folks.
The following users liked this post:
kent2174 (05-01-17)

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration