RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-15, 08:18 AM
mccutcj
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

I have recently purchased a 2016 Lexus RX350. I love both the exterior and interior design along with the electronic driver aids. However, I am extremely disappointed with the excessive noise and vibration I have experienced from a standing stop.

This is my first purchase of a Lexus product and expected a much higher level of refinement.
Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Jim
The following 3 users liked this post by mccutcj:
Ashkalan (01-14-20), fljones3 (05-12-18), SteveKy (01-10-20)
Old 12-30-15, 08:22 AM
chandlervt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wrong section. This is for 3rd generation. Mods can move this to the right section so you can get some feedback.
Old 12-30-15, 08:24 AM
mccutcj
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info. Do I have to do anything or will this be automatic?
Old 12-30-15, 09:16 AM
chandlervt
Driver

Mods will take care of it. You will not have to do anything. BTW, Lexus does have little more wind noise than other luxury brands but not as much as BMW. Infiniti has too much engine noise penetrating the cabin. Quitest is Mercedes I think but they have really crappy customer service.
Old 12-30-15, 10:14 AM
mccutcj
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for getting back with me. It is not the wind noise . It is is the loudness of the engine and vibration you actually feel in the steering. I currently own a BMW 535 and there is no comparison in the refinement.

Jim
The following users liked this post:
pa1thak (12-29-17)
Old 12-30-15, 03:28 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by mccutcj
Thanks for getting back with me. It is not the wind noise . It is is the loudness of the engine and vibration you actually feel in the steering. I currently own a BMW 535 and there is no comparison in the refinement.

Jim

It's a longshot, but rule out bad fuel in your tank by refilling from a reputable gas station. If your RX still has some vibrations, although rare, it could be a bad engine mount and I'd get it checked out at the dealer.
Old 12-30-15, 04:06 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Jim
So which one do you think is more refined?
Old 12-30-15, 05:20 PM
mccutcj
Driver School Candidate

BMW without a doubt.
Old 12-30-15, 05:27 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Owning many of both, I disagree completely. Warranty on a BMW is a necessity, Lexus not so much.
Old 12-30-15, 05:34 PM
Mdme
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bearcat
Owning many of both, I disagree completely. Warranty on a BMW is a necessity, Lexus not so much.
Agree without a doubt
Old 12-30-15, 06:28 PM
mccutcj
Driver School Candidate

My comments were not based on brand loyalty. It was an observation based on ownership of a vehicle with less than 500 miles on the odometer. I encourage you to drive the 2016 RX350 and see if your position on the subject is as firm.

This is not a vendetta on the entire brand.
coach1 (04-18-19)
Old 12-30-15, 08:16 PM
chandlervt
Driver

Originally Posted by Bearcat
I do not think "refined" is equivalent to "reliable". According to OP, BMWs are more refined. Even if you agree BMWs are not reliable, they are pretty darn good cars. I just don't like the fact they are adding turbos to everything. The engine sounds like a lawn mower but Its fun to drive

I don't know much about noise in 535s - never driven one - but 528s are 4 cylinder engines and are lot quiter. However, you are comparing a sedan to an SUV. ES350 is known to be one of the quietest car. I personally loved it. So that would be more of an apples-to-apples comparison. I drove an ML350 and even that engine noise - although not as much as an RX. But I wasn't interested in paying $350 for oil change and/or getting stuck on the road.

Vibration is something that is so subjective. Some people are bothered by slightest - some don't even notice it. When do you get this vibration? I am assuming when you are stopped and have foot on brake? When you release the brake slightly - vibration might increase. Is that the kind you are getting?
Old 12-30-15, 09:49 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

My comments were not based on brand loyalty. It was an observation based on ownership of a vehicle with less than 500 miles on the odometer. I encourage you to drive the 2016 RX350 and see if your position on the subject is as firm.

This is not a vendetta on the entire brand.
Not experiencing any excessive noise or vibrations, as you state, on ours. You might want to get that checked.
Old 12-30-15, 11:35 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Did he just say that the RX is unrefined?! I'd assume it's a defective car
Old 12-30-15, 11:41 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Jim
Jim ... SUV's are one big compromise. They are not luxury cars. Luxury and refinement are compromised by the utility design of the vehicle. Just like the luxury interior ultimately undermines the utility side of the car. The sport side of the equation is compromised by the utility/size of the vehicle. On top of that, Lexus has been moving away from their isolated from the road past and this has lead to more noise, harshness and road feel in the cabin.

Rhetorical Question: What vehicle do you think has the most on road refinement a 2016 Toyota Camry or 2016 RX?

Last edited by UCSB; 12-30-15 at 11:50 PM.
Anicra (03-12-17)

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration