RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-17, 08:31 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by pa1thak
Not sure about other drivers but for me the vibration occurs at low rpm 1500-2000 rpm and at speeds of 25-45 mph but goes away once you exceed 2000 rpm.
After 1800 miles of driving I noticed that the vibration comes back whenever the rpm is below 2000 regardless of the speed.
** NOTE: I feel the vibration only when I rest my hand on the center console and the shift and not on the steering.**
Mine is exactly the same, in fact if I leave it in park and slowly rev the motor you can hear and feel the vibration around 1500rpms. This can get exaggerated when going up a hill under load. Another thing mine does is, on a cold start there is a point where I get a deep drone from the exhaust which lasts about 30 seconds. I believe the drone an vibration are all exhaust related even though the dealer says no. I asked to have the exhaust changed based on what I am experiencing but they went back to ITS NORMAL for this vehicle to do this. I just completely gave up at this point an accepted the fact that I just have to live with it or take a huge bath an trade it in. I have purchased so many new vehicles over the years, I guees I should be happy that Lexus is the only one to disappoint.
Old 12-05-17, 09:40 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,353 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Interesting - I was sitting in the car the other day in the driveway and almost pressed the start button only to realize the engine was running. SILENCE.
Old 12-05-17, 11:31 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

For sure during acceleration in stops and go, it can be a bit noisy. But on the highway, very silent!

But again mine does not have the drone sound., so I find it pretty silent!
Old 12-07-17, 05:11 PM
RealWing
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Flex joint lubrication

As noted in my earlier post, my Lexus Shop Foreman recommended removing the Catalytic converter and re lubricating the flex joints on each end. Did that today and initial indications are that the drone at ~1600 rpm has noticeably reduced - HOWEVER, I need more miles to be sure.
The exhaust system is a lot more flexible after lubing these joints. Just need to remove the bolts (I had to heat the nuts to break them free), the rubber hangers and the cat converter comes right out. The foreman said to lube the 2 gaskets with a high temperature copper based paste. They use Wurth CU800 but I used a similar Loctite copper anti seize that is rated for 1800F. I cleaned up the joints with solvent and put a thin coat on the gaskets being careful not to get any on the inside upstream end so that it will not foul the converter. He said to check the spring FREE length and ensure > 1.63" (41.5mm). My springs were all about 1.680". Clean up the threads on the bolts, a little anti seize and reinstall. Torque bolts to 32 ft-lbs.
Will update after more mileage but if someone else wants to try this, it would be good to see what happens to someone elses' vehicle..
Jim
Attached Thumbnails 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration-cat-converter-flex-joint.jpg   2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration-img_3346_640x480.jpg   2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration-img_3347_640x480.jpg   2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration-img_3348_640x480.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by RealWing:
alin1390 (01-10-20), ravenuer (12-07-17)
Old 12-12-17, 07:41 AM
manchu73
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Any APP to log vibrations?

Is there any app to log vibrations that we can use to report lexus?
My new 2017 RX 350 has vibrations near the gas pedal and central console. I have sensitive feet so i can feel more than other drivers.
I don't have any issue driving my old 2004 sienna or 2012 camry.
I plan to log the data for Camry and Sienna and show it at the dealership on my first appointment related to this issue.

Regards
Old 12-12-17, 10:20 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by manchu73
My new 2017 RX 350 has vibrations near the gas pedal and central console. I have sensitive feet so i can feel more than other drivers.
I plan to log the data for Camry and Sienna and show it at the dealership on my first appointment related to this issue.

Regards
Don't even waste your time. They will just tell you its normal operation for this vehicle. Lexus is just trying to give folks such a hard time about this issue that you just get so frustrated and give up,
Old 12-12-17, 10:31 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by RealWing
As noted in my earlier post, my Lexus Shop Foreman recommended removing the Catalytic converter and re lubricating the flex joints on each end. Did that today and initial indications are that the drone at ~1600 rpm has noticeably reduced - HOWEVER, I need more miles to be sure.
The exhaust system is a lot more flexible after lubing these joints. Just need to remove the bolts (I had to heat the nuts to break them free), the rubber hangers and the cat converter comes right out. The foreman said to lube the 2 gaskets with a high temperature copper based paste. They use Wurth CU800 but I used a similar Loctite copper anti seize that is rated for 1800F. I cleaned up the joints with solvent and put a thin coat on the gaskets being careful not to get any on the inside upstream end so that it will not foul the converter. He said to check the spring FREE length and ensure > 1.63" (41.5mm). My springs were all about 1.680". Clean up the threads on the bolts, a little anti seize and reinstall. Torque bolts to 32 ft-lbs.
Will update after more mileage but if someone else wants to try this, it would be good to see what happens to someone elses' vehicle..
Jim
All of this sounds like a plan, but how does this answer the noise & vibrations folks have experienced within 2000 miles or so? I’m lucky as my 450h doesn’t have this, but when I test drove the 350, I noticed it immediately. It was loud & could be heard in both the front seat & the back & I could feel it in the floor. It was only at certain speeds/rpm’s. So, does this mean Lexus IS putting out “dry” exhaust couplers from the factory in Canada?

I’m curious if anyone has replaced this portion of exhaust with something different to see if it made a difference. What I experienced on my test drive, clearly sounded like exhaust/heat shield vibration. Once upon a time I had a Mustang in which I had a custom dual exhaust installed. I didn’t get two blocks away before I noticed vibration & droning in the floorboards. They had a piece of pipe to close to something & at certain speeds & suspension movements it was very noticeable. They replace that piece of pipe with one bent a different way & I never had an issue ever again in 100,000 miles.
Old 12-12-17, 10:43 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Regards
Please don’t take this as making fun of you. I’m asking this from the perspective of the dealer shop. When you say you want to “log vibrations”, are you wanting it to look like this:
12 Dec 17, 11:00am - floor vibrated at 1500 rpm & 40 mph
12 Dec 17, 12:30pm - heard drone at 1400 rpm for 15 seconds

Is this similar to what you are trying to do? If so, that’s a lot of work with little proof to show for it. It still boils down to your word against the dealer. Honestly, if I were in your shoes, I wouldn’t except their **** & bull excuses. I would hire a lemon law attorney & work on either getting a cash settlement or a buyback from Lexus. That will get everyone’s attention & Lexus knows that would be a huge black eye. They will work to find a fix rather than risk soiling their reputation. This is just a case of not getting the attenion of right people yet.
The following 2 users liked this post by gadgetman1:
manchu73 (12-12-17), Oldfart (12-12-17)
Old 12-12-17, 10:50 AM
manchu73
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
Please don’t take this as making fun of you. I’m asking this from the perspective of the dealer shop. When you say you want to “log vibrations”, are you wanting it to look like this:
12 Dec 17, 11:00am - floor vibrated at 1500 rpm & 40 mph
12 Dec 17, 12:30pm - heard drone at 1400 rpm for 15 seconds

Is this similar to what you are trying to do? If so, that’s a lot of work with little proof to show for it. It still boils down to your word against the dealer. Honestly, if I were in your shoes, I wouldn’t except their **** & bull excuses. I would hire a lemon law attorney & work on either getting a cash settlement or a buyback from Lexus. That will get everyone’s attention & Lexus knows that would be a huge black eye. They will work to find a fix rather than risk soiling their reputation. This is just a case of not getting the attenion of right people yet.
I was thinking on the line of comparison between two vehicles. I can take my two cars there and show the difference and then have logs to show them as the proof.
Old 12-12-17, 12:09 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

I was thinking on the line of comparison between two vehicles. I can take my two cars there and show the difference and then have logs to show them as the proof.
OK, now we’re talking. Just make sure your comparison vehicles are “apples to apples”. BTW, I had my last vehicle bought back thru a TX lemon law attorney at no expense to me. I really loved that vehicle, but after 5,000 miles I began to hate it along with ALL of the dealers that were “supposed” to stand behind the product. I don’t care who the manufacturer is, there are horrible service bays for every brand & I would even say that more than 50% are sub-par. They already have your money & the factory pays them to look into warranty work regardless. There’s not a lot of incentive for integrity & problem resolution. Please keep us updated on your progress or lack thereof.
Old 12-12-17, 12:24 PM
manchu73
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
OK, now we’re talking. Just make sure your comparison vehicles are “apples to apples”. BTW, I had my last vehicle bought back thru a TX lemon law attorney at no expense to me. I really loved that vehicle, but after 5,000 miles I began to hate it along with ALL of the dealers that were “supposed” to stand behind the product. I don’t care who the manufacturer is, there are horrible service bays for every brand & I would even say that more than 50% are sub-par. They already have your money & the factory pays them to look into warranty work regardless. There’s not a lot of incentive for integrity & problem resolution. Please keep us updated on your progress or lack thereof.
I live in Dallas, TX. Would be keen to know about TX lemon law attorney. But first i would give dealership a fair chance to resolve the issues.
Appreciate your help.
Old 12-12-17, 03:07 PM
snoopy88
Driver School Candidate

New lease on RX 350 FSport2. Cannot say I am proud of of this vehicle. My car has less less than 500km. I am experiencing the same problem as many others here had. Vibration/drone noise coming from the drivetrain. Like someone posters have already described the symptoms: like taking off on 2nd gear on stick shift, or car in 4th or 5th gear and going 20-30km. The mechanic from the dealership was able to reproduce the problem, will make another appt to take the car in.

Very disappointed. Did not expect this kind of problem from Lexus. My 2004 (yes 14 years old) Highlander shifts better than the new 8 speed tranny.

I am in Canada and RX is very popular here. I am surprised that not many people have experienced this problem. Or may be they have but not speaking out. Not sure if the TSBs mentioned in previous post apply to 2017 model.

For owners that have the TSB applied and ECU flashed, how is it holding up? Has the vibration/drone problem gone away for good?
Old 12-12-17, 03:37 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

I live in Dallas, TX. Would be keen to know about TX lemon law attorney. But first i would give dealership a fair chance to resolve the issues.
Appreciate your help.
I’m not in Dallas, but the attorney is. He stayed in touch the entire time via e-mail & phone. He has extensive experience with the VW diesel buy backs & he is licensed in a couple of states. At the time of my buy back, he mentioned he had only one case in his career that a Lexus had to be bought back. He said that’s the last thing they want, so they will try to fix it or replace it before it ever gets bought back. I think giving the dealers a chance is very fair, but I would also mention that you have considered hiring an attorney, but you want them to fix it, so you don’t have to hire an attorney. That is very fair. It puts them on notice that you are not happy, but gives them a chance to save face & make things right without threatening. Otherwise, many dealers just throw their hands up & say “Good luck with your attorney, we can’t help you anymore.” I had one dealer tell me that - flat out refused to even look at the vehicle. They knew my vehicle was a turd & didn’t want to be in the middle of a legal battle.
Old 12-12-17, 04:14 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by snoopy88
New lease on RX 350 FSport2. Cannot say I am proud of of this vehicle. My car has less less than 500km. I am experiencing the same problem as many others here had. Vibration/drone noise coming from the drivetrain. Like someone posters have already described the symptoms: like taking off on 2nd gear on stick shift, or car in 4th or 5th gear and going 20-30km. The mechanic from the dealership was able to reproduce the problem, will make another appt to take the car in.

Very disappointed. Did not expect this kind of problem from Lexus. My 2004 (yes 14 years old) Highlander shifts better than the new 8 speed tranny.

I am in Canada and RX is very popular here. I am surprised that not many people have experienced this problem. Or may be they have but not speaking out. Not sure if the TSBs mentioned in previous post apply to 2017 model.

For owners that have the TSB applied and ECU flashed, how is it holding up? Has the vibration/drone problem gone away for good?
This is exactly why i traded my 350 FSport in for the 450h FSport. Even after the transmission update, it didn't fix the issue. It was improved, but still present.
Old 12-13-17, 12:22 PM
pa1thak
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Regards
not sure about vibration app but there are lot of noise/ sound measuring apps on both ios and android.

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration