RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-19, 03:51 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 154 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by miker72
It is not a F Sport. It's a base with the executive package. I checked with the dealer and it was never modified. It is normal to hearing a bit of growl in the exhaust and a hum when cruising?
No I don't think so, particularly when on the freeway the car is very quiet, that's one of it's strengths, of course what I think is quiet may not be your idea of quiet, it's a subjective matter.
Old 01-11-19, 04:45 AM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

My two cents. I have two RX’s, and the whole exhaust system resonance (noise) is much too loud. It seems to be a choice that Lexus made, because I am sure that exhaust system engineers could have designed a quiet vehicle. At speed, on the highway, the car is good, but in stop/stop, and particularly when accelerating, the noise is way to noticeable. I had a 2015 Honda CRV that was much quieter than my RX’s (recognizing the big six versus a somewhat small four). It is what it is, and I believe the RX was designed that way.

Last edited by rxtimes2; 01-11-19 at 04:48 AM.
Old 01-11-19, 06:08 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Originally Posted by rxtimes2
My two cents. I have two RX’s, and the whole exhaust system resonance (noise) is much too loud. It seems to be a choice that Lexus made, because I am sure that exhaust system engineers could have designed a quiet vehicle. At speed, on the highway, the car is good, but in stop/stop, and particularly when accelerating, the noise is way to noticeable. I had a 2015 Honda CRV that was much quieter than my RX’s (recognizing the big six versus a somewhat small four). It is what it is, and I believe the RX was designed that way.
Agree - I read somewhere back in 2016 that Lexus was getting away from the "tomb" like characteristics that was evident in the LS, they wanted a little more noise so you have some sense of what the car is doing. Don't know if that's true but I know that very first LS was VERY quiet and that was near 30 years ago.
Old 01-11-19, 07:51 AM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
Agree - I read somewhere back in 2016 that Lexus was getting away from the "tomb" like characteristics that was evident in the LS, they wanted a little more noise so you have some sense of what the car is doing. Don't know if that's true but I know that very first LS was VERY quiet and that was near 30 years ago.
WOW, that is really interesting. I have a friend with an LS that is a few years old, and it is absolutely silent. Makes you wonder why they put the double pane windows and soundproofing in the RX and then designed it to have an exhaust howl. Maybe appealing to the younger generation that might want to hear the vehicle go through the gears. Being an old fart, I would opt for the silence. I must admit that road/wind noise is not a problem.
Old 01-11-19, 05:59 PM
miker72
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reply

Thanks for all the responses I have a 2006 IS350 and there is no noise at all. I don't know why I didn't notice during the test drive . Too distracted I guess I had driven a 2015 the day before Its like my 99 Pontiac Grand Prix They always added some muffler sounds to it.. The big question now is can I change my muffler to get rid of the noise Perhaps use a muffler a 2015?
Old 01-16-19, 12:08 AM
Edino
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Edino

Our 2017 RX350 has exactly the same sound. Brought it to the dealer for a check up, they agreed the sound was not normal. They wanted to check with Lexus; made a video, and sent it to Lexus support. They came back today with the suggestion to change the vacuum pump. Will bring it in next week, and post back if it was the solution.
They changed the Vacuum pump, and I am happy to note the knocking sound has entirely gone.
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (01-16-19)
Old 01-16-19, 05:44 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Originally Posted by Edino
They changed the Vacuum pump, and I am happy to note the knocking sound has entirely gone.
Got to love some of these dealers - mine makes the same noise, the colder the worst it is, my dealer said "We've have heard another one like that a while ago, no issue with it though". Basically on your way, we're not interested in fixing it.
Old 01-17-19, 01:33 AM
Edino
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealer also compared with some other RX models, and found that some, but not all had this sound. As they were not sure what to do next, and did not want to close the jobcard before they had a better answer, they involved Lexus support and received the advice to change the vacuum pump (even-tough that the TSB #L-SB-0010-18 is not valid for my region).
Old 01-17-19, 05:12 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
Got to love some of these dealers - mine makes the same noise, the colder the worst it is, my dealer said "We've have heard another one like that a while ago, no issue with it though". Basically on your way, we're not interested in fixing it.
I’m just bewildered as to how Toyota allows these service bays to operate line this. This is the way a Dodge or Fiat shop operates, not Lexus!

Perhaps this vacuum pump issue is better suited as another thread topic. What does this vacuum pump do & where is it located? Does the hybrid (450h) have this also?
Old 01-17-19, 04:57 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Originally Posted by gadgetman1

I’m just bewildered as to how Toyota allows these service bays to operate line this. This is the way a Dodge or Fiat shop operates, not Lexus!
I know, I expect better too. My dealer was Sydney City Lexus THE eminent (supposedly) dealer in Sydney, Australia, very large operation, massive sale numbers, also owns the Brisbane dealership. I've moved to a regional town now, 30,000 people, which has a Lexus dealer (one of only a handful in regional Australia) where they sell around 75 cars a year. I'm little concerned at how well my vehicle will be cared for there.
Old 01-17-19, 05:41 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Sometimes, the little dealers do the best job - not always, but they have to struggle to stay in business. Good luck, I hope they serve you well!
The following users liked this post:
GSFRX350 (01-17-19)
Old 01-21-19, 12:48 PM
Geekteach
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mccutcj
I have recently purchased a 2016 Lexus RX350. I love both the exterior and interior design along with the electronic driver aids. However, I am extremely disappointed with the excessive noise and vibration I have experienced from a standing stop.

This is my first purchase of a Lexus product and expected a much higher level of refinement.
Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Jim
I bought a 2016 RX 450h in August of 2016. I test drove many other luxury SUV’s for a full year before deciding on the RX. The deciding factor for me was the RX’s unparalleled smooth ride and quiet cabin. I can’t even begin to comprehend a rough-riding, noisy 4gen RX! Something is definitely wrong. Your post is dated, so I sincerely hope you were able to return your new RX to the dealership for the appropriate fix.

Last edited by Geekteach; 01-22-19 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-22-19, 06:22 AM
mccutcj
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree there was something was wrong with my RX 350. The dealer was in agreement. Unfortunately Lexus corporate did not agree stating the vehicle was in normal operating parameters without actually observing the vehicle itself. Fortunately the lease expired in November. First Lexus! Last Lexus!
Old 01-22-19, 08:16 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Geekteach
I bought a 2016 RX 450h in August of 2016. I test drove many other luxury SUV’s for a full year before deciding on the RX. The deciding factor for me was thr RX’s unparalleled smooth ride and quiet cabin. I can’t even begin to comprehend a rough-riding, noisy 4gen RX! Something is definitely wrong. Your post is dated, so I sincerely hope you were able to return your new RX to the dealership for the appropriate fix.
the 450h does not suffer from the same issues as the 350. Its why i traded my 350 back in and got a 450h instead.
Old 01-22-19, 05:29 PM
Geekteach
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mspearl95
the 450h does not suffer from the same issues as the 350. Its why i traded my 350 back in and got a 450h instead.
Every now and then, I get it right. After 2 yrs/ 5 mos with my RX 450h, I have zero complaints. I've experienced problems with the panoramic sunroof (and later with the sunshade), but Lexus of the Monterey Peninsula fixed both issues, and gave me an RX loaner for 5 days while waiting for parts to arrive. Honestly, my only complaint is the loaner RX wasn't as nicely appointed as mine... but that's hardly much of a complaint.

Last edited by Geekteach; 01-22-19 at 08:05 PM.

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration