RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-18, 08:08 AM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by pqn628
This is actually what Lexus tried a couple years ago as a patch. the Uclamp is actually installed on the pipe, not he catalytic converter. There are posts about this in the earlier threads.

I say try it for a day or two and see if you notice a difference and take it off. I'd like to know if you get the same results.
I saw those posts, and that is actually what Toyota did with the TSB. They did replace the Uclamp with a permanent welded fitting, but the damper is located on the rear side of the converter on the pipe away from the flexible joint. Success seems to come by getting the weight up in front of the converter. Unfortunately, a weight attached that close to the flexible joint, and with a lever arm as required by the muffler clamp installation, might cause an exhaust leak at the flexible joint - right under the passenger compartment. The TSB requires extra care when installing, and aligning the flexible joint. They are careful to not stress the gasket when installing the pipe. There are multiple warnings about stressing the gasket.

I firmly believe that a damper installed in front of the converter will solve the problem (as has been tried and reported). I wish it was just on a section of the plain exhaust pipe somewhere.
Old 08-04-18, 06:55 AM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

I installed the Uclamp and weight as far back on the center exhaust section as I could. Close to the rigid muffler connection, and on the opposite side (passenger) as the TSB mounted damper. There was no change in the dronning. The only thing that has improved the situation is putting the weight in front of the converter like Walt1953, and pgn628 did.
Next, I might try installing it directly opposite the TSB damper.

Last edited by rxtimes2; 08-04-18 at 07:00 AM.
Old 08-04-18, 08:40 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Some may not like this, but if my new Lexus were having these issues & I got treated like this, I would promptly be test driving OTHER vehicles & get prepared to trade and/or sell. Now, there are simply too many other good SUVs to choose from that don’t have this Mickey Mouse exhaust game going on. If Lexus knows their loyal customers are willing to jump ship, they will fix this fiasco or they will lose ⅓ of their customer base. The RX makes up ⅓ of all Lexus sales in the US.
Old 08-04-18, 09:57 AM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
Some may not like this, but if my new Lexus were having these issues & I got treated like this, I would promptly be test driving OTHER vehicles & get prepared to trade and/or sell. Now, there are simply too many other good SUVs to choose from that don’t have this Mickey Mouse exhaust game going on. If Lexus knows their loyal customers are willing to jump ship, they will fix this fiasco or they will lose ⅓ of their customer base. The RX makes up ⅓ of all Lexus sales in the US.
Actually out of the many thousands of RXs sold not many have this problem. I also have a 2017 that is absolutely quiet. Lexus did come up with a fix, but it took them two years. In some respects you are, of course, right, but I will stick with my RX350.
Old 08-04-18, 10:01 AM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

The Saga continues, but gets better. After trying other spots on the exhaust system to hang the weight, with no luck, I took the advice of pgn628. I put the damper in front of the converter as suggested, and the dronning is significantly better. Thanks to him and Walt for the research.
Old 08-04-18, 11:24 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by rxtimes2
Actually out of the many thousands of RXs sold not many have this problem. I also have a 2017 that is absolutely quiet. Lexus did come up with a fix, but it took them two years. In some respects you are, of course, right, but I will stick with my RX350.
With today’s technology & corrupt corporations that feel they don’t need customer service any longer, it’s especially important that we all exercise our rights to getting what we pay for. I’ve already had one vehicle bought back & I won’t hesitate to do it again. I simply don’t have time for their stupidity.
Old 08-04-18, 06:09 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 154 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
People are still buying them though http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales...exus/lexus-rx/
Old 08-04-18, 06:16 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,350 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
People are still buying them though http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales...exus/lexus-rx/
Wow I didnt realize they move that many units annually.
Old 08-05-18, 03:00 PM
nextcar
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would disagree with your assessment that "not many have this problem."
3 out of 4 RX 350s I test drove had this problem. 1 out of 2 friends who own the 2017 model had the problem.
Funny thing is, if you ask my wife if our RX had this problem, she would deny it, because she didn't feel/hear it until I pointed it out.
Same thing with my friend, whose wife also couldn't feel/hear the problem.

As for trading in the RX for something else, I think most people would rather put up with a minor annoyance than lose thousands of dollars to trade the car.

Unfortunately for all Lexus owners, Lexus has such a stellar reputation that they can be cavalier and deny this problem exists. The thousands of posts on this thread are not enough to damage their reputation.
Old 08-05-18, 03:20 PM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

They sell about 110K RXs a year, and if 1/2 to 3/4 of them had a significant drone, I think sales would reflect it. The people responding to this thread are a very small minority of the universe of RX owners. They are the ones that experience a problem. If you don't notice the problem, then it is not a problem (to you). If Lexus got 50K complaints about an annoying dronning noise, they would fix it.

After a short test of the damper and Uclamp placed in front of the converter, I saw a significant reduction in the dronning at 1500 RPM. Because of concerns that I mentioned in a previous post, I have removed the weight and will proceed to try and figure out if any harm can be done by placing the weight close to the flex joint.
Old 08-05-18, 05:57 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 154 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by nextcar
The thousands of posts on this thread are not enough to damage their reputation.
Over a thousand posts but how many different people/vehicles......far, far less then a thousand.
Old 08-05-18, 08:42 PM
nextcar
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They sell about 110K RXs a year, and if 1/2 to 3/4 of them had a significant drone, I think sales would reflect it. The people responding to this thread are a very small minority of the universe of RX owners. They are the ones that experience a problem. If you don't notice the problem, then it is not a problem (to you). If Lexus got 50K complaints about an annoying dronning noise, they would fix it.

After a short test of the damper and Uclamp placed in front of the converter, I saw a significant reduction in the dronning at 1500 RPM. Because of concerns that I mentioned in a previous post, I have removed the weight and will proceed to try and figure out if any harm can be done by placing the weight close to the flex joint.
I think a small percentage of complaints reach Lexus headquarters.
When I complained to my service adviser, he had a master mechanic sit in the car with me as I demonstrated the drone. The mechanic agreed that there was an unrefined vibration/drone when going uphill, but that's the way the car was designed, so it's not a problem, and hence will not be reported to Lexus.
Old 08-06-18, 12:43 PM
Daniel0429
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Anyone here received a survey about vibration and drone on our RX from Toyota???
A
Old 08-06-18, 01:02 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by nextcar
I think a small percentage of complaints reach Lexus headquarters.
When I complained to my service adviser, he had a master mechanic sit in the car with me as I demonstrated the drone. The mechanic agreed that there was an unrefined vibration/drone when going uphill, but that's the way the car was designed, so it's not a problem, and hence will not be reported to Lexus.
I would certainly hope the RX is NOT designed to have a vibration/drone intentionally...
Can it happen on any vehicle UNINTENTIONALLY, yes! All I can speak for is what I experienced on my test drives with the RX 350 & then with one dealer’s substandard service work on an unrelated item. Lexus's reputation is tarnished in my eyes, but my experience isn’t anywhere near what others on here have experienced. My opinion doesn’t really count.
Old 08-06-18, 01:47 PM
mnemons
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I got one. But it is not about vibration and drone. It's about the rough shift of the transmission. The survey asks you to describe occasion while you feel the car experiences rough shift and under power. While answering the survey, there are opportunities for you to elaborate the occasion, where I describe vibration and drone around 1500 RPM.

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration