RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-16, 11:21 AM
cec327
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Regarding vibration -- It seemed like there was a slight vibration on the steering wheel on my 2016 RX350. Seem to begin at about 36MPH and end at 40MPH when in ECO mode--when car was accelerating but stopped immediately. Not noticeable at any other time and seem to be less in sport mode. I'm not sure what the cause is but it is very slight. I've never noticed it before yesterday. Will keep track of it.
Old 04-22-16, 05:23 PM
NRX
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What noise? What vibration?

Just thought I'd put this in ...

I've had mine for 2 weeks and the odometer now shows 500 miles. Last night I finally put it in sport mode for the first time (not counting the pre-purchase test drive) and let it fly. I am IMPRESSED!!! That V6 growled just enough to make me smile. My kid was probably wondering why I was grinning the whole time

Now ... don't get me wrong. It's no sports car but it's no slouch either. For a vehicle that weighs almost 6000 lbs it is FAST. We did both windy roads in the hill country areas as well as highways and it did not disappoint.

In all these 500 miles I haven't noticed any noise or vibration let alone anything excessive like the OP claims. Perhaps s/he got a defective product?
Old 04-26-16, 12:40 AM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

My vibration issue sounds and feels like tires going over a washboard surface. Seems to go away when the car is warm. Anyone complain to the dealer yet?
Old 04-26-16, 04:33 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by NRX
Just thought I'd put this in ...

I've had mine for 2 weeks and the odometer now shows 500 miles. Last night I finally put it in sport mode for the first time (not counting the pre-purchase test drive) and let it fly. I am IMPRESSED!!! That V6 growled just enough to make me smile. My kid was probably wondering why I was grinning the whole time

Now ... don't get me wrong. It's no sports car but it's no slouch either. For a vehicle that weighs almost 6000 lbs it is FAST. We did both windy roads in the hill country areas as well as highways and it did not disappoint.

In all these 500 miles I haven't noticed any noise or vibration let alone anything excessive like the OP claims. Perhaps s/he got a defective product?
6000 pounds?

Maybe a little over 4000.
Old 04-26-16, 04:59 AM
cec327
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by roblim
My vibration issue sounds and feels like tires going over a washboard surface. Seems to go away when the car is warm. Anyone complain to the dealer yet?
I have not experienced any thing like what you described. I had my wife feel the steering wheel when I thought that I felt a vibration. She couldn't feel any. She believes that the problem may lie in the vacuum between my ears and my obsessive -compulsive behavior regarding this vehicle. We shall see.
Old 04-27-16, 09:59 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Just throwing this out there.....

Has anyone with the vibration tried switching to a higher octane fuel?
Old 04-27-16, 10:09 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 507 Likes on 363 Posts

I have had the car for about a week now and have had the droning sound when the engine is struggling to produce enough torque to move the car.

I push the gas a bit more to force either a down shift or RPM increase and it's all good.

I had that on my 2013 Camry when I got it until Toyota came out with a transmission software update to help. It pretty much fixed it then.
Hopefully they do the same with the RX.

I am surprised that this is new to 2016 since the 8 speed was on the 3rd gen F sports??
Old 04-28-16, 12:03 PM
NRX
Driver

Originally Posted by RXOwner
6000 pounds?

Maybe a little over 4000.
Curb weight = 4,222 lbs
Gross weight = 6000+ lbs
Old 04-30-16, 09:42 AM
Radio88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NRX
Curb weight = 4,222 lbs
Gross weight = 6000+ lbs
Yeah which means the vehicle itself weighs 4222 with full fluids and equipment with no occupants or cargo.
The 6000lbs is the total weight (occupants and cargo plus vehicle weight), that the vehicle can safely transport.
To your comments on its power, yeah I am with you! Very spirited strong v6. And it does this with TWO mufflers in series on single exhaust (with dual outlets) for ultimate quieting, choking its air pump nature down a bit.
I know the Lexus engineer guys have this worked out but your engine is basically an air pump-sucks air in, blows air out with some fuel ignition in the mix. Could you imagine this engine with no catalytic, no pollution chokers, and true dual exhaust? It's amazing its potential. Smaller engines have come a long way.
Old 05-16-16, 01:12 PM
Modernliv
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mccutcj
I have recently purchased a 2016 Lexus RX350. I love both the exterior and interior design along with the electronic driver aids. However, I am extremely disappointed with the excessive noise and vibration I have experienced from a standing stop.

This is my first purchase of a Lexus product and expected a much higher level of refinement.
Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Jim
Hi Jim,
Sadly, I signed up for this forum just to see if others are having this same experience. I just got my new 2016 RX 350 two days ago and I am experiencing a very noticeable (and quite bothersome) vibration noise upon acceleration (0-20 mph). It then goes away...but it's always from a standing start. This happens regardless if in ECO, NORMAL or SPORT mode. I tweeted Santa Monica Lexus to see what they suggest.
I just came out of a 2 year GS 350 lease and couldn't have been happier with the quality of the car and Lexus customer service. I can't imagine the RX is supposed to sound and feel like this.
If you get this message, can I ask if you ever got it fixed?
Thanks!

Last edited by Modernliv; 05-16-16 at 02:06 PM. Reason: my own typos
Old 05-16-16, 09:04 PM
seraphicsw
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mccutcj
I have recently purchased a 2016 Lexus RX350. I love both the exterior and interior design along with the electronic driver aids. However, I am extremely disappointed with the excessive noise and vibration I have experienced from a standing stop.

This is my first purchase of a Lexus product and expected a much higher level of refinement.
Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Jim
I have the same issue. I can't stand this noise and speically vibration. 2015 and 2014 doesn't have this kind of issue. I only drive 280 miles.
I also have AC noise as well. this car is horrible.
Old 05-17-16, 07:52 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

My gf's NX has that issue too. The transmission is just trying to save fuel so it is reluctant to downshift to get you moving. There's a bit of that on my 2015 gs as well, the liquid engine mounts quells the vibration but I still feel it a little bit through the shifter.
Old 05-21-16, 07:30 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

Noticed some creaking in the trunk somewhere on my drive.

I feel like it's the cargo cover that is making that noise but not sure. Will report back later.
Old 05-21-16, 11:15 PM
seraphicsw
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by roblim
This is the exact expression I felt while I'm driving.
Old 05-22-16, 07:33 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 507 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by seraphicsw
This is the exact expression I felt while I'm driving.
What brand are your tires?

I haven taken my car to 2 different dealers and also opened a claim with Lexus. I have Bridgstones. They are very loud, with some vibration and terrible traction.

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration