RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-17, 04:25 PM
donmatt
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gribble
I sold my 16 RX about 3 months ago, I gave up on Lexus coming out with a fix, I just couldn't handle driving it anymore. It would put me in a sour mood when I drove it. I've had 5 Lexus SUV in the last 14 years and prior to the 16 model enjoyed most of them. I have since bought a different SUV and it was such an eye opener what it's like to drive to work with a normal transmission. I hope Lexus eventually comes out with a fix, as I feel everyone's pain.
Gribble, If you do not have any reservations about publishing the SUV you purchased please do so for the benefit of others. Should you not desire to publish on the forum please PM me with the info if you are ok with it. I only need it for my personal information. I'm rather tired of fighting with Lexus also. In the end they will pay the price for ignoring their customers. As they say what goes around comes around. I have to put a few more miles on mine first. .Wish I had my 2011 RX350 loaded back. It ws a perfect vehicle compaed to the 2016I now have. Thanks for your consideration.
Old 09-01-17, 06:16 PM
Gribble
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't want to come across as bashing Lexus, as I said earlier I've owned only Lexus for almost 15 years. Overall my experience had been very good up until the 2016 model. I just didn't enjoy driving to work everyday in it so decided to make a change. We ended up buying a 2017 F Pace S model,
The following 2 users liked this post by Gribble:
donmatt (09-02-17), tdjacw (09-02-17)
Old 09-02-17, 03:53 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I don't want to come across as bashing Lexus, as I said earlier I've owned only Lexus for almost 15 years. Overall my experience had been very good up until the 2016 model. I just didn't enjoy driving to work everyday in it so decided to make a change. We ended up buying a 2017 F Pace S model,
Congrats on the new ride. Excellent choice, I will definitely consider that for my next car.
I'm also tired of fighting with Lexus, just not worth my time. Especially when caught in a loophole where they just clam its a normal characteristic.

Last edited by tdjacw; 09-02-17 at 03:59 AM.
Old 09-02-17, 06:55 AM
Gribble
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tdjacw
Congrats on the new ride. Excellent choice, I will definitely consider that for my next car.
I'm also tired of fighting with Lexus, just not worth my time. Especially when caught in a loophole where they just clam its a normal characteristic.
Thank you! I forgot how much fun it is to drive to work, the F pace is by far the most thrilling SUV I've owned. It is smaller than the RX, if you can live with the size I would highly recommend test driving one.
tdjacw... I agree with about every post you've made in this thread, it is a real shame how Lexus has handled this situation. I truly hope they come out with a fix soon as I understand people's frustration. No new luxury SUV should have a transmission in it like the RX, I've been shocked they ever let it thru to production the way it is. Best of luck to everyone here!
PS... don't mean to thread jack but if anyone wants to buy lateral dampers for the base RX, just let me know as I will be listing some stuff here for sale and on eBay.
Old 09-02-17, 09:36 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 170 Posts

The ONLY reason we didn't look at the Jag F Pace is their past reputation of being mediocre reliable & the closest dealer would have been over 200 miles away. We took a calculated risk on the Lexus as the closest dealer is also 200 miles away. So far, we are OK with our decision. I didn't want to get into another vehicle based mostly on emotions. Please post pics & let us know how you like the Jag. There is no shame in moving on, as you needed to do what was best for you. I would probably do the same, had I been in your shoes.
Old 09-16-17, 01:32 AM
hulatee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I experience the same vibration on my 2017 F Sport along with low rpm hesitation. I hope Lexus comes up with a fix soon.
Old 09-16-17, 05:16 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hulatee
I experience the same vibration on my 2017 F Sport along with low rpm hesitation. I hope Lexus comes up with a fix soon.
No fix coming, I was promised a year ago it would be fixed. Last update was it's a normal characteristic of this vehicle.
This is total BS, Lexus doesn't give a crap about folks. As long as they have their money and they have an out we are SH..T out of luck. Sorry to hear your also experiencing vibration, I know how annoying it can be. It won't get better and it won't get worse. Just have to live with it. Still trying to understand their slogan "experience amazing"
Old 09-16-17, 06:46 AM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by tdjacw
No fix coming, I was promised a year ago it would be fixed. Last update was it's a normal characteristic of this vehicle.
This is total BS, Lexus doesn't give a crap about folks. As long as they have their money and they have an out we are SH..T out of luck. Sorry to hear your also experiencing vibration, I know how annoying it can be. It won't get better and it won't get worse. Just have to live with it. Still trying to understand their slogan "experience amazing"
Wondering if anyone experiencing this issue has taken to social media? I responded to a lexus ad on facebook and got an immediate response from "customer relations." Perhaps it's time to move beyond this board where posting doesn't get anything accomplished.....
Old 09-16-17, 06:54 AM
rcworks
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jugdish
Wondering if anyone experiencing this issue has taken to social media? I responded to a lexus ad on facebook and got an immediate response from "customer relations." Perhaps it's time to move beyond this board where posting doesn't get anything accomplished.....
if enough people would call lexus or their main office and talk to someone in charge, maybe lexus will do something about it. a squeaky wheel gets the grease.
class action?
Old 09-16-17, 09:27 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

I've exhausted all routes. By Lexus claiming its normal for some vibration and drone on this model there is nothing you can do. There is no fix, the only option is to buy back the vehicle which I tried. I was turned down because of the claim its normal. This problem is too wide spread for them to buy back all these vehicles. My guess is that its to expensive to fix or they honestly can't figure out the issue. Either way, we are stuck.

Last edited by tdjacw; 09-16-17 at 02:27 PM.
Old 09-16-17, 04:44 PM
rcworks
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can someone please explain what exactly is droning issue and how to look for it?
thanks.
Old 09-16-17, 06:39 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rcworks
can someone please explain what exactly is droning issue and how to look for it?
thanks.
Under certain conditions, such as the car shifting into a high gear to early you get a deep exhaust note that resonates through the cabin. Its almost like when you open one window a little and you get that deep wind buffering. If you have to ask I'm sure you don't have any. Mine was extremely noticeable when new, it has improved over time. What hasn't improved is the vibration I get at around 1500rpms. It is very annoying but it's something I have to live with. Lexus has been playing games when it comes to this issue. I was first told a year ago that they are diligently working on a fix. Now a year later I'm
told its a normal condition for this model.
Old 09-17-17, 03:30 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

1st post here, just joined. anyways i have been test driving a few new rx, 2 luxury package ones and a F sport. 2 of the vehicles were super smooth, and 1 of the luxury had a strange vibration.
the vibration was light throttle say going down the freeway at 60, slight tip in you would feel the vibration in the wheel and it was audible as well. not really sure what it was, could be a torque convertor, or anything. for sure if i was tossing 60k down, it would not be on that one. Now, maybe it's my 25 years as a master mechanic , many of those years in dealerships, often chasing NVH problems. (noise, vibration, harshness)
i could say it was a drone and vibration. not sure if these are the same symptoms, just thought i would pass this along.
2 side notes, geez these get expensive adding options, lol, 61k or so before discounts, and second, who's skinny butt did they use to model the F sport seat lower cushion from, i'm not huge, 5'9 220, wife isn't either and neither fit well in the seat. shoot, oh well, luxury it will be.
Old 09-20-17, 07:12 PM
RealWing
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Drone

My engineering assessment is that it is the exhaust system vibrating at its resonance frequency. It occurs in my RX at about 1600 rpm (`100 kph/60 mph). There is a second harmonic at about 3200 rpm. I can feel the vibration on the passenger inboard seatbelt. The exhaust system is excited by the exhaust pulses and the vibes usually get worse as engine load is increased (ie stronger pulses) It is crystal clear that Lexus has had this problem from day 1. All you have to do is look at the exhaust system and you will see the heavy dampers that are welded to the pipes. (There is also one on the rear subframe.) These "tuned dampers" were specifically designed to dampen vibrations in the exhaust system. Car companies will not add parts to a car due to the cost and weight increase - UNLESS engineering specifies that they are required. My $0.02.
Jim
Attached Thumbnails 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration-img_0480-m_1600x1200.jpg   2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration-img_0478-m_1600x1200.jpg   2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration-img_0479m_1400x1050.jpg  

Last edited by RealWing; 09-20-17 at 07:19 PM.
Old 09-20-17, 08:20 PM
rbclt
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by RealWing
My engineering assessment is that it is the exhaust system vibrating at its resonance frequency. It occurs in my RX at about 1600 rpm (`100 kph/60 mph). There is a second harmonic at about 3200 rpm. I can feel the vibration on the passenger inboard seatbelt. The exhaust system is excited by the exhaust pulses and the vibes usually get worse as engine load is increased (ie stronger pulses) It is crystal clear that Lexus has had this problem from day 1. All you have to do is look at the exhaust system and you will see the heavy dampers that are welded to the pipes. (There is also one on the rear subframe.) These "tuned dampers" were specifically designed to dampen vibrations in the exhaust system. Car companies will not add parts to a car due to the cost and weight increase - UNLESS engineering specifies that they are required. My $0.02.
Jim
Interesting.... I don't see this mass damper on my 2017 RX 350 (with Luxury Package) and I have droning and vibration issue at low speed. Can anybody else please check and confirm it?... May be this is the missing piece???

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration