RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-16, 06:55 AM
dicknorton
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone asked if I had driven another 2016 RX350 and noticed a similar vibration and noise upon acceleration. The dealership (Keyes) let me take out another one with my sales consultant while they were checking out our new one. Both the noise and vibration were present, but not quite as bad. I have no experience with the F-Sport, AWD or hybrid. If they are quiet (as reported in one post), then it is sounding like a possible drive train issue with the 2WD - and that, in my opinion, will be harder to address. We have just under 2000 miles - it has not changed. I took a friend out for the first time yesterday for a ride. Loved the car, but he commented on the drive train vibration the first time I left the house accelerating down the street. I told him I was working with a dealership and they elevated it to Lexus. I agree with other posters - once up to highway speed, the car is a dream. Quiet, smooth and responsive. If I could avoid the 0-30 period of acceleration, it would be a perfect vehicle. There is no logical reason why this car cannot be quiet on acceleration. The ES350 made zero drive train noise - and it was front wheel drive. Our daughters IS350C is the same - except she has the optional F-Sport exhaust and we hear that, of course. Our fingers are crossed that they come up with some means to quiet it.
The following users liked this post:
Les7311 (12-28-21)
Old 02-07-16, 02:12 PM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

To me it is not a vibration from the drivetrain, more like the engine. Kinda of a howling noise from the engine a specific lower RPMs under load. Like you said after 30 mph all is quiet and smooth.
Old 02-07-16, 09:15 PM
dicknorton
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My guess is that it may be related to the exhaust pipe supports. If the exhaust pipe is not isolated from the engine and frame, then it will resonate noise and vibration. We went to our mountain home today - 6000 feet elevation. Climbing the hill, it was certainly pronounced when under load. I just do not understand why there should be any vibration or noise. I am really hoping it is something simple like an exhaust pipe that needs relocation of one or more supporting brackets, or better isolation from the frame for existing supports. I told the wife while on the freeway how beautifully the car drove. It seemed to have plenty of power for climbing the mountain. The radar cruise is great. BTW, we just had the factory running boards (see the RX accessories) installed a week ago. My wife is short and they really made a huge difference for her getting into the RX. At my height, they are not needed and I simply step over them. They look great on the car!!!
Old 02-26-16, 03:58 PM
bobyg
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2016 RX350 noise problem

Hi Guys,

I am new here, I was excited to picked up our new RX350 last week. 3 days ago, we start noticing some weird noise when the A/C or Fan is on. It sounds like water running inside the pipes. The car drives fine and the noise is significantly reduce when drive in higher speed. Anyone have this issue or any ideas what might be the cause?

Thx
Old 02-26-16, 04:05 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by bobyg
Hi Guys,

I am new here, I was excited to picked up our new RX350 last week. 3 days ago, we start noticing some weird noise when the A/C or Fan is on. It sounds like water running inside the pipes. The car drives fine and the noise is significantly reduce when drive in higher speed. Anyone have this issue or any ideas what might be the cause?

Thx
SEems like an ongoing issue with many RX's.

Many others have that same issue. I believe there is no remedy.
Old 02-26-16, 07:10 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

POst it here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...od-or-bad.html
Old 03-09-16, 05:59 PM
boxcarsrx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi everyone, i just got a 2016 rx350 AWD and searched on google about the vibration issues and was pleased to find out that I am not the only one with this issue.
This is my second rx350, coming out of a 2014 which didn't have this issue. My new car now has about 180 miles on it and in my first 2-3 days of driving the car I was very bothered by this vibration/drone issue that others are having, especially since the ride quality has so much improved over my 2014. I have had the car for about 2 weeks now and the vibration isn't as noticeable as it was the first couple of days. The car has its days, sometimes its ok and other days its really annoying when it starts grinding away.
Just like the others say, it occurs under gentle to normal acceleration (both in eco and normal mode, havent tried sport yet) and the vibration starts around 1500-1700 RPM. Depending on my pedal position, I can maintain this vibration for a bit. I either need to lay of the gas or accelerate more so that the car shifts and its back to a slick ride again. I get what others say about the load and I was initially thinking that maybe a heat shield or something was loose somewhere along the exhaust pipes causing this noise. But now I don't know if its the engine, tranny or something loose that is causing the sound/vibration. Its very annoying and I am not very happy.
Old 03-10-16, 05:38 AM
Comfort
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dicknorton
Someone asked if I had driven another 2016 RX350 and noticed a similar vibration and noise upon acceleration. The dealership (Keyes) let me take out another one with my sales consultant while they were checking out our new one. Both the noise and vibration were present, but not quite as bad. I have no experience with the F-Sport, AWD or hybrid. If they are quiet (as reported in one post), then it is sounding like a possible drive train issue with the 2WD - and that, in my opinion, will be harder to address. We have just under 2000 miles - it has not changed. I took a friend out for the first time yesterday for a ride. Loved the car, but he commented on the drive train vibration the first time I left the house accelerating down the street. I told him I was working with a dealership and they elevated it to Lexus. I agree with other posters - once up to highway speed, the car is a dream. Quiet, smooth and responsive. If I could avoid the 0-30 period of acceleration, it would be a perfect vehicle. There is no logical reason why this car cannot be quiet on acceleration. The ES350 made zero drive train noise - and it was front wheel drive. Our daughters IS350C is the same - except she has the optional F-Sport exhaust and we hear that, of course. Our fingers are crossed that they come up with some means to quiet it.
If it was something simple like exhaust Lexus would have a quick fix. After reading this 6 page thread I can think of one more possibility. As I recall Lexus uses port injection at low speeds and then switches to DI. It may be this transition point that isn't seamless at lower R's. What I mean is that maybe the port injection and Direct injection function are either overlapping or there is a spot where it's jumping back and forth. This has happened with some AFM vehicles where the transition from 4-8 cylinders causes a vibe.
Even though Lexus is rated #1 in reliability there are always issues with first year mass produced vehicles.

Last edited by Comfort; 03-10-16 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-10-16, 09:37 PM
Evans4g63
Driver School Candidate

My guess is that it may be related to the exhaust pipe supports. If the exhaust pipe is not isolated from the engine and frame, then it will resonate noise and vibration. We went to our mountain home today - 6000 feet elevation. Climbing the hill, it was certainly pronounced when under load. I just do not understand why there should be any vibration or noise. I am really hoping it is something simple like an exhaust pipe that needs relocation of one or more supporting brackets, or better isolation from the frame for existing supports. I told the wife while on the freeway how beautifully the car drove. It seemed to have plenty of power for climbing the mountain. The radar cruise is great. BTW, we just had the factory running boards (see the RX accessories) installed a week ago. My wife is short and they really made a huge difference for her getting into the RX. At my height, they are not needed and I simply step over them. They look great on the car!!!
I noticed it on day 2 and mine is F-Sport Equipped.. It's seems to be from the exhaust assembly under load like the exhaust hangers aren't dampening good enough...
Old 03-12-16, 09:22 PM
brxsilva
Driver School Candidate

Default Former 14 GX460 Owner Now A Happy 16 RX Owner

Sorry to hear that you are having problems. I used to have a GX that had a leaning issue but when Lexus offered me to do an early trade in on my lease, I did not think twice.
I had never thought about the RX until I saw the 2016 in the lot.
My RX is at 2014 mi and it does not have any noise or vibration issues. We test drove the RX 450H but I wife told me that if I got that I'd be the only riding in the car EVER because she felt and heard the vibration sitting in the back...something to do whrn switching from hybrid to gas. Although the RX 450H had the black on black(Caviar) that I wanted plus so many extras, my wife was not happy with the noise. So I settled for a RX350 noble brown with Caviar and 20" wheels. Oh and can't forget the NAV with 12.3" screen. It was for the best and I'm very happy with the purchase. The RX is more economical and easier to drive than the GX.
If you complain enough about your issue to your Lexus dealership and Lexus Corporate as I did with my GX leaning issue, they may do something about it. They changed the suspension kit on mine for a previous model year, it was a temporary fix but as long as you have a record of the issue, they will continue to look into the problem until it really gets resolved. My guy, Tony, at my Lexus dealership took care of me regarding my concerns. A manager at Lexus Corporate took care of me too in which he gave me $300 credit for services being that my car had been in service for a total of 2-3 weeks for this issue.
Hope Lexus finds a way to resolve your issue.

Last edited by brxsilva; 03-12-16 at 10:17 PM.
Old 03-13-16, 02:23 PM
Kingman99
Driver School Candidate

Default Car problems??

Please note that when either buying or leasing any car, before signing on the dotted line you must take it out for a test drive. Also check the vehicle for paint problems.

Once you sign on the dotted line it becomes your problem.

Never listen when they say take the vehicle home and bring it back and we will fix it. This is a lie just for you to sign on the dotted line.

If you are set on the 2016 and not sure then lease it.

This July my open to buy or lease is the following;

Mercedes GLC
Range Rover Discovery
Murano (for cheap Lease only)
The new Cadillac (SRX replacement) is Awesomme) as is the 2017 Acadia.

If the 2016 RX does not iron out their issues then the above list stands as is.
Old 03-16-16, 05:07 PM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingman99
Please note that when either buying or leasing any car, before signing on the dotted line you must take it out for a test drive. Also check the vehicle for paint problems.

Once you sign on the dotted line it becomes your problem.

Never listen when they say take the vehicle home and bring it back and we will fix it. This is a lie just for you to sign on the dotted line.

If you are set on the 2016 and not sure then lease it.

This July my open to buy or lease is the following;

Mercedes GLC
Range Rover Discovery
Murano (for cheap Lease only)
The new Cadillac (SRX replacement) is Awesomme) as is the 2017 Acadia.

If the 2016 RX does not iron out their issues then the above list stands as is.
You may want to rethink some of those choices.

Old 03-16-16, 11:00 PM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Here here ....I haven't driven the Cadillac but the RX trounces all the others IMO
Old 04-13-16, 07:46 AM
MSCrx
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation 2016 RX 350 Noise and Vibration issue

Originally Posted by mccutcj
My comments were not based on brand loyalty. It was an observation based on ownership of a vehicle with less than 500 miles on the odometer. I encourage you to drive the 2016 RX350 and see if your position on the subject is as firm.

This is not a vendetta on the entire brand.
Hello,
We recently bought a 2016 RX350 and appears to have the similar noise as mentioned on this thread. What i've observed is that it's mainly when car starts from idle between 1700-1900 RPM for the most part. Interestingly, the vibration nor the noise is present while the car is in PARK and if I was to press the gas pedal. The noise and vibration appears when the transmission is in "D" driving mode on all of the provided transmission packages suchas; ECO, Normal and Sport.

Test drove another new RX to hash out any possible bug/flaw in the one that we bought but appears to be consistent with all the RX's so far that we've driven (2016 models only)

Any updates will be appreciated.

Thank you
Old 04-13-16, 12:30 PM
mccutcj
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anyone been successful with Lexus being able to rectify the issue with their vehicle?
It is very disappointing,
My first Lexus experience. I expected better.

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration