RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-17, 01:20 PM
podlesnick
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, where do you hear vibrations and drone?
1. My car started to have vibrations after 20.000 km. First it was shelf ahead of passenger next to the driver. They fixed it. With that they also fixed excesive creaking of the phone compartment.
2. Then I started to hear some clapping with vibrations right above my head as a driver. Man, that was awful. I went to the service 4-times but the bug never appeared so that they couldnt help. Then I suggested them - 'I leave the car here for you as long as you need, but PLEASE just fix it, because I dont want to drive this car unless its silent again.' After 3 weeks spending 16 hours of labour they fixed it! They had to disassemble top left side of the cabin and there were two tin-plates impacting each other. They also fixed the vibrations of the shelf and creaking of the phone compartment again.
3. Now after one week, the biggest issue - vibrations with clapping above the head of the drivers looks solved, but again i can hear vibrations of the shelf.

Any suggestions?
Old 05-29-17, 02:50 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by podlesnick
Guys, where do you hear vibrations and drone?
1. My car started to have vibrations after 20.000 km. First it was shelf ahead of passenger next to the driver. They fixed it. With that they also fixed excesive creaking of the phone compartment.
2. Then I started to hear some clapping with vibrations right above my head as a driver. Man, that was awful. I went to the service 4-times but the bug never appeared so that they couldnt help. Then I suggested them - 'I leave the car here for you as long as you need, but PLEASE just fix it, because I dont want to drive this car unless its silent again.' After 3 weeks spending 16 hours of labour they fixed it! They had to disassemble top left side of the cabin and there were two tin-plates impacting each other. They also fixed the vibrations of the shelf and creaking of the phone compartment again.
3. Now after one week, the biggest issue - vibrations with clapping above the head of the drivers looks solved, but again i can hear vibrations of the shelf.

Any suggestions?
On mine the vibrations are felt through the floor boards and steering. The Drone is more of a deep exhaust note when taking off or slowing down and speeding up again. This car should be smooth as silk and apparently some are. I guess I'm just unlucky, live and learn.
Old 05-29-17, 10:01 PM
FiveSeven
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Brand new 2017 rx350 fwd 150miles reporting drone/vibration at low rpms (1200-2000). I will tell my service advisor about the issue on my 5k complimentary service and report back than.

I'm kicking myself for not reading this thread before I spent so much money on a car... thankfully mine isn't as loud as some report and my wife who is the primary driver said it didn't bother her enough to return the car. I know its a totally different car but 17 yr old gs300 is smoother

I wonder if Lexus would consider letting us return the car.. my household has only bought toyota/lexus vehicles in the past 20 years.. this may be a bridge burner for me depending on how Lexus decides to handle this issue.
Old 05-30-17, 02:49 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by FiveSeven
Brand new 2017 rx350 fwd 150miles reporting drone/vibration at low rpms (1200-2000). I will tell my service advisor about the issue on my 5k complimentary service and report back than.

I'm kicking myself for not reading this thread before I spent so much money on a car... thankfully mine isn't as loud as some report and my wife who is the primary driver said it didn't bother her enough to return the car. I know its a totally different car but 17 yr old gs300 is smoother

I wonder if Lexus would consider letting us return the car.. my household has only bought toyota/lexus vehicles in the past 20 years.. this may be a bridge burner for me depending on how Lexus decides to handle this issue.
I tried returning mine for the same issue. It's extremely furstrating, their recation is its a normal characteristic of the vehicle. All you can do like many of us have done is to call Lexus head quarters and file a complaint. Very sorry your having the issue as well. You are certainly not alone.
The following users liked this post:
FiveSeven (05-30-17)
Old 05-30-17, 05:45 AM
TeKKieNYC
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

2017 RX350 Fsport 100miles on it - hello droning issue at about 1400rpms. Now I come from a long list of sport sedans and SUVs, I enjoy a good noise and droning, but this is not a sport vehicle... How is this a normal characteristic? I also thought Lexus (my first time with the brand) is a very noise isolated vehicle. However, I can hear the wind, the road, everything the same as I did on my last car QX70, which is not a refined vehicle.

I love everything else about the car, maybe except the touch-less trunk sensor, which worked in my garage, but it didn't work when I've had 10 bags of heavy produce in my hands and it was raining.

LEXUS I HOPE YOU ARE FOLLOWING THIS THREAD!!! PLEASE REACH OUT TO US WITH A FIX.
The following users liked this post:
G0DKID (12-19-20)
Old 05-30-17, 07:03 AM
chunktwo
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by TeKKieNYC
2017 RX350 Fsport 100miles on it - hello droning issue at about 1400rpms. Now I come from a long list of sport sedans and SUVs, I enjoy a good noise and droning, but this is not a sport vehicle... How is this a normal characteristic? I also thought Lexus (my first time with the brand) is a very noise isolated vehicle. However, I can hear the wind, the road, everything the same as I did on my last car QX70, which is not a refined vehicle.

I love everything else about the car, maybe except the touch-less trunk sensor, which worked in my garage, but it didn't work when I've had 10 bags of heavy produce in my hands and it was raining.

LEXUS I HOPE YOU ARE FOLLOWING THIS THREAD!!! PLEASE REACH OUT TO US WITH A FIX.
Read the manual on the touchless sensor.. i was having issues getting it to work consistently.. i took a look at the manual and it illustrates how you should be holding your hand to the sensor...
it was user error on my part - after reading the manual it has worked every time - rain or shine.
Old 05-30-17, 09:03 AM
FiveSeven
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tdjacw
I tried returning mine for the same issue. It's extremely furstrating, their recation is its a normal characteristic of the vehicle. All you can do like many of us have done is to call Lexus head quarters and file a complaint. Very sorry your having the issue as well. You are certainly not alone.
I filed a complaint on the way to work today morning... I mentioned this thread to him. I will be getting a call back from a case worker within 48 hours at which time they will have me bring in my car to a Lexus service center. I will report back in a few days what happens.

Last edited by FiveSeven; 05-30-17 at 09:09 AM. Reason: typos!
Old 05-30-17, 09:48 AM
KenwK
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I filed a complaint on the way to work today morning... I mentioned this thread to him. I will be getting a call back from a case worker within 48 hours at which time they will have me bring in my car to a Lexus service center. I will report back in a few days what happens.
Sorry for the issue but i highly doubt they will do anything. Most folks at Longo Lexus knew about this issue as this started since 2016 model. One service rep actually asked me " didn't you test drive the car?" Instead of solving the problem it is my fault for not discovering this during test drive.
Old 05-30-17, 10:14 AM
rbclt
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Just opened a case with Lexus corporate

I am doing the exact same thing.. just opened a case with Lexus corporate and the supervisor will call me back (as the initial service guy was not ready to book a service center appointment)... let all of us with this issue call the corporate office and open new case with them.
Old 05-30-17, 10:24 AM
FiveSeven
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KenwK
Sorry for the issue but i highly doubt they will do anything. Most folks at Longo Lexus knew about this issue as this started since 2016 model. One service rep actually asked me " didn't you test drive the car?" Instead of solving the problem it is my fault for not discovering this during test drive.
funny you mention Longo.. I used to be a long time customer there but for the RX Keyes gave me a better deal. My drone isn't as bad as some of you report but I still want to document it early on just encase it gets any worse. who knows maybe they'll actually fix mine.
Old 05-30-17, 09:14 PM
FiveSeven
Intermediate

Wow I just saw the video that PK posted.. mine is nothing like that.. I'll try to test my car out in the morning like he did to see if I get similar results
Old 05-31-17, 08:15 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

I don't think post 662 (page 45) video is the vibration/noise people are talking about. That's something wrong, like a heat shield, and should be easily fixed. The vibration and noise that people are describing is around 12-1500rpm

Last edited by FastFord; 05-31-17 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-31-17, 09:38 AM
FiveSeven
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FastFord
I don't think post 662 (page 45) video is the vibration/noise people are talking about. That's something wrong, like a heat shield, and should be easily fixed. The vibration and noise that people are describing is around 12-1500rpm

Ahh okay that I do have.. I think mine is more subtle than others report but safe to say my 17 year old gs300 runs smoother than this car.. I still have not heard from my case worker even though I was promised a call back within 24 hours.
Old 05-31-17, 01:24 PM
Pvipul7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration issues

Just got a call from lexus engineer that it is a normal characteristic of the vehicle. Side mirror vibration is normal. They said the AC issue will be fixed and the parts have been ordered.
I am so upset how is vibration and droning noise normal on a 58k LUXURY vehicle. Last lexus for me.
will tell all my friends not to buy lexus any more for their "characteristic vehicles".
I had initiated a vehicle buy back, so I guess no go
Old 05-31-17, 01:42 PM
TeKKieNYC
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I guess this is why they've provided over 835w of Mark Levinson to block out the 'normal' characteristic of the vehicle.

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration