RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-17, 08:41 AM
allwheels
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

If they are working on a solution to the issue, you guys think that they would rush out a fix that didn't completely fix it? Its a no-win situation for them at this point. They've lost customers over it I'm sure, will probably lose more. If it were as simple as throwing a giant mass damper on the exhaust, it would've been done already. Its a dynamic problem with alot of different factors at play. In my personal opinion the new engine and exhaust design are the biggest factors.
Old 05-22-17, 09:39 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

I was loyal Acura MDX driver for many years. When new generation came out in 2016 (produced in Alabama plant which was moved from Canada). Firstly interior/exterior build quality dropped big time. They put in 9 speed ZF tranny which was much WORSE than old 5 speed which forced me to drive in sports mode to minimize the effects like poor shifting, hesitation, etc...., They changed SH-AWD system from dual disk clutch to single to save weight saying it is as good as older design, changed suspension which made the ride bad, etc., etc. They came out with TSB for tranny fix which made slight imporvement. BMW 8 speed works just fine. Maybe their tranny managing firmware is better written? I was told this trannies use 3 dog clutches which is main cause of the issues. If future auto transmissions were like this I'd rather have manual gear box. If you want to keep the car, learn to live with it or switch to something different. Luckily hybrid RX uses CVT. Driving fun is out the window but I am getting old, my fun driving days are passing. I try hard to be content with RX hybrid. Getting old is bad, LOL!
Old 05-22-17, 02:02 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts
Default 500 miles with 93oct fuel

Just wanted to give my opinion on 87oct versus 93oct after 500miles. I have read posts claiming how much smoother the RX is with higher octane fuel.
This is purely what I have observed from my vehicle. Gas mileage and performance may have increased slighty. However I have NOT experienced any difference in vibration drone or hesitation. Even the performance difference is just seat of the pants, could be all in my head. I really dont want to start a major controversy here just wanted to share my experience.
Old 05-22-17, 11:31 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by allwheels
If they are working on a solution to the issue, you guys think that they would rush out a fix that didn't completely fix it? Its a no-win situation for them at this point. They've lost customers over it I'm sure, will probably lose more. If it were as simple as throwing a giant mass damper on the exhaust, it would've been done already. Its a dynamic problem with alot of different factors at play. In my personal opinion the new engine and exhaust design are the biggest factors.
They better be working on a fix that works. Look at the hesitation thread and the TSB did not work for everyone. So timely that Toyota's ceo just said he senses a company crisis, "I feel a strong sense of crisis about whether or not we are actually executing car-making from the perspective of the customer in all Toyota workplaces — from development production, procurement and sales, all the way to administrative divisions." In other words, he was saying that he thinks Toyota can simply do a better job at fulfilling its customers' needs and wants."

How about starting with these damn transmission hesitations and noise + vibration issues. Start with communicating with your customers here!
Old 05-23-17, 06:17 AM
allwheels
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

The problem comes in the fact that dealers don't automatically get told everything that is becoming an issue. And since there technically isn't any failure and it can be duplicated with numerous other like vehicles, there isn't much for them to go on. There is a pretty involved process of getting a technical bulletin issued these days and if it takes a long time to develop a fix, that can take a long time. Unfortunately i think some people have been turned off more by having bad dealer representation versus Lexus "ignoring" the complaints.
Old 05-23-17, 02:09 PM
Macs4RX
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by allwheels
In my personal opinion the new engine and exhaust design are the biggest factors.
As many of you know, this engine also has direct injection. I'm wondering if this contributes to the high-frequency vibration that I feel through the accelerator pedal at rpms in the 1200 - 1900 range.
Old 05-23-17, 02:46 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Macs4RX
As many of you know, this engine also has direct injection. I'm wondering if this contributes to the high-frequency vibration that I feel through the accelerator pedal at rpms in the 1200 - 1900 range.
The master tech from Lexus told me its definitely not an exhaust or engine issue. Its the way the new motor is mounted to both the subframe and the chassis.
It was done this way to improve rigidity and handling. Unfortunately its carrying vibrations through the chassis and causing drone.
Old 05-23-17, 03:42 PM
Macs4RX
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by s4iscool
They better be working on a fix that works. Look at the hesitation thread and the TSB did not work for everyone. So timely that Toyota's ceo just said he senses a company crisis, "I feel a strong sense of crisis about whether or not we are actually executing car-making from the perspective of the customer in all Toyota workplaces — from development production, procurement and sales, all the way to administrative divisions." In other words, he was saying that he thinks Toyota can simply do a better job at fulfilling its customers' needs and wants."

How about starting with these damn transmission hesitations and noise + vibration issues. Start with communicating with your customers here!
May I ask where you read that statement from the CEO of Toyota? If accurate, that's a shocking admission but would certainly support our overall dissatisfaction with the RX.
Old 05-23-17, 09:28 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Macs4RX
May I ask where you read that statement from the CEO of Toyota? If accurate, that's a shocking admission but would certainly support our overall dissatisfaction with the RX.
http://www.autoblog.com/2017/05/16/t...it-small-cars/
Old 05-25-17, 06:40 PM
LexusRXBR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Lexus Droning Noise And Vibration

Hi Everyone. I have 300 miles on my 2017 RX 350 AWD. I noticed drone noise on the second day after I took it home I did schedule check up with a technician ,he did acknowledge the issues and I was assured that Lexus will find the solution "TSB" and the problem will be solved, but after reading this forum I understand that it is a "BS", and company don't think that it has to be fixed , and giving customers nonsense that this freakin' droning and vibrations is a normal car characteristic, and you just have to adapt and love your new drono-vibrating like a mixer Lexus .And I can see from this forum and words of my Lexus technician that company is trying to ignore this problem and put it under the carpet. I can't believe that so many owners have the same problem and it wasn't solved yet .LEXUS YOU DOING IT WRONG!!! Don't ignore your loyal customers this problem EXIST and it has to be fixed.

I know for 100% that someone from LEXUS corp is reading this right now.- check the youtube video - "2017 Lexus RX350 awd droning vibration noise"
I will make my own video with the same title and will hashtag 2017 Lexus RX 350 Droning Noise to share it and I ENCOURAGE all this forum readers with the same problem to do this and post it on Youtube. And believe me after 100's video like this the situation will begin to change. because any potential Lexus RX buyer will think twice before purchasing a car if problem will not be fixed.
P.S. If you have any ideas how to share it in social media share it here. If one Lexus owner isn't enough for them to start fixing it maybe 100'S can make the difference.
Old 05-26-17, 02:46 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

How embarrassing when you take someone for a ride in your new Lexus and it makes that ridiculous sound. I have owned my Lexus for seven months now ans have never been so disappointed in a vehicle and the manufacture. To be told that mine isnt as bad as others is supposed to make me feel better. In my eyes Lexus is a joke and their hole perception of being super quiet and refined is nothing more than over hyped advertisements.
Old 05-26-17, 07:34 AM
guxu
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I tested several scenarios in past two days. First of all I am glad I do not have the hesitate problem. When I floored the gas, my RX did exactly what it supposed to do. The ECO mode was a little slow. But that's why it is ECO. So now I am driving in Standard mode. With a little gas, my RX does not have problem to reach 4000+ rpm in lower gear before up-shift.

From another thread, people are saying we should turn the volume up to feel the bass and experience how good our car audio is. So I turned the volume from 8 to 15. Sure the audio sounded great and I could feel the bass. Then, the engine vibration (when it happened) became much less noticeable.

I happened to drive to a drone test site. No, my RX does not make drone noise. It was just louder than I expected, under certain conditions. And in Standard and Sport modes, those conditions are minimum.
Old 05-27-17, 09:27 PM
qubit
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Update from Lexus Canada

Hi Everyone. I had complained about my RX's vibration and droning to Lexus Canada about 2 weeks ago and i got an update from them this week. So the update is: "Our engineers have said that this is a characteristic of the vehicle. Yet, we will monitor for 2 more months !"

What is more interesting is that they said that they have received a total of "3" complaints from the thousands they have sold. As we all know, this is utter non-sense. Yet, i did not get let my frustrations lose upon hearing all that.

This is mostly the last Lexus i will lease. If a platform/refresh brings all these terrible side effects, i am not looking forward to the upcoming ES refresh (which i was very interested in). I have had enough with my lexus and the growing number of problems (shaking driver side mirror - even after replacement, creaking sun roof when open, vibration at certain rpms, droning noise at highway speeds, ... and discovering more). Thanks Lexus!!!!!
Old 05-28-17, 03:10 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by qubit
Hi Everyone. I had complained about my RX's vibration and droning to Lexus Canada about 2 weeks ago and i got an update from them this week. So the update is: "Our engineers have said that this is a characteristic of the vehicle. Yet, we will monitor for 2 more months !"

What is more interesting is that they said that they have received a total of "3" complaints from the thousands they have sold. As we all know, this is utter non-sense. Yet, i did not get let my frustrations lose upon hearing all that.

This is mostly the last Lexus i will lease. If a platform/refresh brings all these terrible side effects, i am not looking forward to the upcoming ES refresh (which i was very interested in). I have had enough with my lexus and the growing number of problems (shaking driver side mirror - even after replacement, creaking sun roof when open, vibration at certain rpms, droning noise at highway speeds, ... and discovering more). Thanks Lexus!!!!!

That is total BS, the Tech from Lexus said they have many complaints and the engineers are diligently working on a fix. So which is it? Lexus stop playing games If you cant fix the issue than replace the few cars "according to you" that have this issue. Vibration and drone should never be a characteristic of any car! If its a characteristic of the car how come they all don't have it.This is total crap, Lexus you are officially the worst car manufacture I have ever dealt with.
Lexus You should change your motto from "experience amazing" to "experience furstration and aggravation"
Old 05-29-17, 06:07 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by qubit

Just curious if Lexus told you their "engineers... or if they put it in writing. If it came from the Lexus Customer service, I would want to know their case number.

If your mirror is shaking, it's still not fixed.
The sunroof can be lubricated so it doesn't creak, dealer should have addressed that.
The drone thing, haven't heard it nor has anyone posted what it sounds like. I have drone in my truck but that's a completely different animal.
If Lexus says they have had only 3 complaints, I doubt they have any engineer actually working on a solution.

I would be gathering up all the service orders and sending them to some Corporate director at Lexus Canada or Lexus USA. That usually gets their attention.

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration