RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-17, 07:53 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by s4iscool
no, unfortunately the hesitation tsb has not fixed all cars. A number of people have my situation where there is a placebo affect but then quickly realize the hesitation is still there with poor off the line shifting/hunting/lurching.
I would say that it is not fixed or installed properly. Dealer made a mistake the first time, but I knew it still wasn't right. For people without the Sport + or custom mode I don't know how you could tell if dealer made a mistake. Fsport's gets messed up pretty good if they install it wrong.

Once it's done properly, the vehicle downshifts as you slow down. You can feel it and see it in the tach. The car is much more engaged as you make a turn or accelerate. It's not perfect at very low speeds but is at least 90% better, especially driving anything but slowly. The lurching you mention is what mine was doing after the first install, and it hunted way more than before the TSB. I do notice it's not too good while the car is cold and the high idle is on.

I have never noticed it slow off the start, it's pretty smooth which makes it feel slow but a few little 1/8 miles at the track...it's not slow off the line. Turn trac control off and do burn outs, lights up the tires for me.

I think that the dealer needs another chance to install the correct TSB ( I think there is at least two depends on model) and do the install properly. I think if it's done right you have to notice a difference.....not a placebo, but it doesn't make it a rocket ship. Ask the dealer for the TSB they installed and if they did a reset. It's a pain but I think it's worth another trip!
Old 05-16-17, 05:27 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by FastFord
I would say that it is not fixed or installed properly. Dealer made a mistake the first time, but I knew it still wasn't right. For people without the Sport + or custom mode I don't know how you could tell if dealer made a mistake. Fsport's gets messed up pretty good if they install it wrong.

Once it's done properly, the vehicle downshifts as you slow down. You can feel it and see it in the tach. The car is much more engaged as you make a turn or accelerate. It's not perfect at very low speeds but is at least 90% better, especially driving anything but slowly. The lurching you mention is what mine was doing after the first install, and it hunted way more than before the TSB. I do notice it's not too good while the car is cold and the high idle is on.

I have never noticed it slow off the start, it's pretty smooth which makes it feel slow but a few little 1/8 miles at the track...it's not slow off the line. Turn trac control off and do burn outs, lights up the tires for me.

I think that the dealer needs another chance to install the correct TSB ( I think there is at least two depends on model) and do the install properly. I think if it's done right you have to notice a difference.....not a placebo, but it doesn't make it a rocket ship. Ask the dealer for the TSB they installed and if they did a reset. It's a pain but I think it's worth another trip!

Mine is completely opposite from yours. When the car is cold itt shifts perfectly, holds the gears out just the right amount where there is no lugging. As soon as it reaches full operating temperature the transmission shifts into the high gears much sooner giving me the lugging. I really wonder if they installed the correct version. I felt no difference at all after the TSB. Service Manager assured me its correct.
The following users liked this post:
s4iscool (05-16-17)
Old 05-16-17, 05:46 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tdjacw
Mine is completely opposite from yours. When the car is cold itt shifts perfectly, holds the gears out just the right amount where there is no lugging. As soon as it reaches full operating temperature the transmission shifts into the high gears much sooner giving me the lugging. I really wonder if they installed the correct version. I felt no difference at all after the TSB. Service Manager assured me its correct.
EXACTLY! Ive noticed this too, first drive out of the garage in AM is exactly how this should shift all the time...albeit a bit smoother. At least the shifts are held reasonably and without unexpected upshifts and then premature downshifts, it's a mess later when things warm up.

The TSB was done 100% right but like others, it took two trips. Reset was done too. Waste of time.
Old 05-16-17, 11:58 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

snake oil...
Old 05-17-17, 03:49 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by feddery
anyone here tried an octane booster additive ? i wonder if the vibration issues you are reporting caused by bad fuel, does lexus even recommend them ?
Been running 93oct for the last three tanks. No effect on the vibration, drone, or shifting characteristics.
Old 05-17-17, 10:18 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by feddery
even 93 is trash fuel, was talking about getting the level to 95-96
If the engine vibrates in park at 1500 rpms then its clearly not a low octane issue. After 2k rpms the engine is very smooth.
Old 05-17-17, 12:59 PM
rlphillips
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Love The Vehicle, However intermittent noise

1 of 1 people found this review helpfulLove The Vehicle, However intermittent noiseBy Ron on 05/16/17 13:43 PM (PDT)

Vehicle

2017 Lexus RX 350 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 8A)

Review

Purchased Vehicle March 11, 2017. I Love The RX350 AWD. Lexus did a great job with this vehicle. I have just one irritant, there is a intermittent noise or vibration that occurs from time to time with no associated speed or condition. Every time I took it to the dealership and went on the test drive with the technician the noise did not occur and we drove the vehicle under all sorts of condition for more than an hour. So we have not been able to duplicate the issue currently. For now the noise has stopped. My fear is that it will comeback, I just wish I could get the noise to occur with the tech in the car. I'll just have to wait and see if it returns again. Over all I'm thrilled and love this vehicle. RLP.
Old 05-17-17, 01:50 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rlphillips
1 of 1 people found this review helpfulLove The Vehicle, However intermittent noiseBy Ron on 05/16/17 13:43 PM (PDT)

Vehicle

2017 Lexus RX 350 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 8A)

Review

Purchased Vehicle March 11, 2017. I Love The RX350 AWD. Lexus did a great job with this vehicle. I have just one irritant, there is a intermittent noise or vibration that occurs from time to time with no associated speed or condition. Every time I took it to the dealership and went on the test drive with the technician the noise did not occur and we drove the vehicle under all sorts of condition for more than an hour. So we have not been able to duplicate the issue currently. For now the noise has stopped. My fear is that it will comeback, I just wish I could get the noise to occur with the tech in the car. I'll just have to wait and see if it returns again. Over all I'm thrilled and love this vehicle. RLP.

Even if you get the noise vibration to occur with the Tech n the car I'm pretty sure he will tell you its a normal characteristic of the car.
Old 05-17-17, 02:20 PM
stevez2
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default is this issue relevant to 2017 vehicles?

Originally Posted by tdjacw
Even if you get the noise vibration to occur with the Tech n the car I'm pretty sure he will tell you its a normal characteristic of the car.
I have had my Rx350 for a month. It is a joy so far with no drone, no hesitation - and actually more rewarding to drive than my 2015 RC350. It is the quietest vehicle I have owned since my 1998 LS400.
So my question is - am I lucky? are than many other 2017s with no issue? (unlike apparently the 2016s). If vehicles are fine the first month and 600 miles have they passed the test or does the issue show up with more age and miles?
Old 05-17-17, 03:54 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by stevez2
I have had my Rx350 for a month. It is a joy so far with no drone, no hesitation - and actually more rewarding to drive than my 2015 RC350. It is the quietest vehicle I have owned since my 1998 LS400.
So my question is - am I lucky? are than many other 2017s with no issue? (unlike apparently the 2016s). If vehicles are fine the first month and 600 miles have they passed the test or does the issue show up with more age and miles?
Congrats you are one of the lucky ones. If you haven't noticed any drone or vibration by now you'll be fine. I have a 2017 and have the issue. I would love to know what the difference is.
Old 05-18-17, 07:08 AM
guxu
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by stevez2
It only happens in certain conditions on my 2017 model. Most times the ride is very smooth. When the problem happens, it is really not that bad. Different people may have different tolerance levels. I may not complain at all if those issues are on a cheaper vehicle. To me, engine noise is louder than I expected, but it is still acceptable. The vibration is not acceptable for a $50k+ "luxury" SUV.

But again, it only happens in low speed and low RPM, especially on incline. Now I just give a little more gas to raise the rpm and accelerate as fast as possible, or simply drive like a grandma, to minimize the problem.
Old 05-18-17, 07:20 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

The Master Tech from lexus said that its not consistent, some are fine and some are really bad. He said mine wasn't that bad compared to some others.
So do I consider myself lucky? Only having some vibration on a $50k car, I don't think so.
Old 05-18-17, 10:10 PM
Walt1953
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 18,500 miles and a year and a half later... Walt

Hi Everyone. It's been a while since I posted.

See page 18 of this thread to see the Lexus Damper I put on the exhaust by the Catalytic Convertor, that removed most of the vibration that previously existed.
At about 18,000 miles, my Drone Noise doesn't really happen anymore.

As I read on earlier "Posts", others have had their "Drone Noise" reduced too as the car gets more miles on it. My car is still not as quiet as my other past Lexus vehicles, but at least it is not an embarrassment to me when I have a
passenger that has never ridden with me.

In the past I have had numerous "Lexus Customer Satisfaction Case Numbers". Quite a few months ago I had a very agreeable "Case Worker" (compared to others that told me the Noise was a "Normal Characteristic"), who would keep in contact with me. She told me she was employed by Lexus and worked at "Headquarters" in Southern California. She told me other employees she worked with that owned 2016 and 2017 RX's also were having disappointment and frustration due to the Noise/Vibration. One day she calls me and tells me that Lexus is working on a "Fix" and that I would either hear from her or the Lexus Service Manager in two weeks about the solution. I said to her, " Do you know how many times I have heard the two weeks story"? She assured me, this time was for real. Well... after 3 weeks, I called the Dealership and was told that they do not have "Remedy". When I called back to my Lexus Case Worker, I was told that she does not work in that Department anymore and then when I was contacted, I was told by some condescending employee that their was no Remedy because my car's Noise and Vibration was a Normal Characteristic.

If Lexus Customer Satisfaction Employee represent Lexus, then I have been personallyy disrespected by Lexus. If Lexus will not honor their Warranty, then Lexus is a Dishonorable Company.

My wife says after 22 years with Lexus, we will not be buying another new one.

Regards... Walt
Old 05-19-17, 11:21 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

I'm not sure how much of the placebo effect is going on here. I have two dampers installed on mine as per Walts instructions. I thought it made a slight improvement. Just recently I brought the car in for the six month check up and removed the dampers. Honestly I could not tell any difference. I dont know if it was worth the $100 cost and time installing them for a minimal IF ANY difference. Just my opinion
The following users liked this post:
guxu (05-23-17)
Old 05-19-17, 11:53 AM
lefty75
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can someone put this thread on social media?

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration