ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-4th-gen-2016-2022-273/)
-   -   2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-4th-gen-2016-2022/807592-2016-rx-350-excessive-noise-and-vibration.html)

s4iscool 05-12-17 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by KJRodder (Post 9866346)
A number of you have said that temperature seems to make a difference in how bad your drone/vibration is. In my case (I live in Phoenix and have had the car 16 months) the temperature has no effect. I have the vibration and drone at all times (from 1200-1500 rpm) regardless of outside temperature and if the engine is cold or hot. I've put the dampers on my exhaust system which has helped some, but only to a small extent. I had a Lexus mechanical tech drive with me and admitted he heard the issue. He also then drove new cars on the lot and said they too had the problem. But of course, Lexus tells him the car is functioning as designed. My service rep told me a month ago he thought a fix was coming soon. I don't believe it. I agree that it has to be an inherent design problem that is a major issue to change; like the motor mount issue discussed earlier. If so it will likely never be fixed until a model redesign. Dumping this lemon and continuing to tell people never to buy this car is going to be my answer.
This is a real black mark for Lexus.

Same here. already shopping for my "one year old waste of money purchase" replacement. The q5 looks like a nice package even the Mdx refresh is tempting me again but the 9 speed in that is terrible too. Xc60 will be a gem too I believe. Lexus hesitation and drone noises have frustrated me on a daily basis.

tdjacw 05-14-17 04:14 AM

Same here. already shopping for my "one year old waste of money purchase" replacement. The q5 looks like a nice package even the Mdx refresh is temporarily ting me again but the 9 speed in that is terrible too. Xc60 will be a gem too I believe. Lexus hesitation and drone noises have frustrated me on a daily basis.

I was also looking at the Q5, it was a toss up between the two. Boy did I make the wrong choice. Ill give Lexus another six months to correct the issue. I figure if they are really working diligently on a fix and it doesn't happen in the next six months than its not happening Probably trade it in for the Audi q5 or the jaguar F-pace.

pdaeng 05-14-17 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by guxu (Post 9865796)
:eek2::mad::(

That's called brain wash.

The new RX350 is no where near smooth or quiet.
Any middle size SUVs are better than 4 generation of RX350 in terms of smoothness and quietness.
Even highlander is better.

pdaeng 05-14-17 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by NickL (Post 9860068)
Hi
I'm in the middle of negotiating a 2017 RX350AWD. Can anyone tell me the droning noise happens on day one or does it take a bit of a break in and mileage for the issue to occur. I went to two dealerships yesterday and test drove two vehicles and did not notice the noise. This issue has been in the back of my mind since the '16 model.

If you insist buying RX, i suggest go to RX450h F sport.
1) To be honest, RX450h still has this kind of vibration or droning, however, since engine in 450h does not need to run as intensively as 350, you will feel much better.
2) eCVT is much smoother than 8 speed.
3) F Sport has AVS, which helps the situation a lot.
So the combination effect is that if you really pay attention, you can feel the droning. Most of the time not that bad. On the contrary,
you have a connected feel of road or whatever called non-dumbness. LOL.

I have a 16 450h F Sport. Every time I drove a 16 RX350 loaner, I want to change back in the first second
I can feel my arm is shaking when i put my right arm on the armrest. Terrible.

s2000zr 05-14-17 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by pdaeng

Any middle size SUVs are better than 4 generation of RX350 in terms of smoothness and quietness.

You right about that. I test drove the 16 highlander with the 6speed and it was way more smooth than the rx350.

If you guys are still dreaming of Lexus coming out with a fix, wake up. It's been almost 2yrs and nothing. Trade your RX in now before you loose more money.

If they can engineers, build, test, ect of the new LC 500 within 3 years. I am sure they can fix the hesitation within 6 months. Lexus IS sweeping you guys under the carpet, along with your money.

guxu 05-15-17 08:02 AM

I went to local dealer during the weekend. And I tried one of their brand new RX in the lot. It has the same noise and vibration. So I guess it is not a problem for Lexus. I would not have thought it was a problem either if I had not owned a 2016 Mitsubishi Outlander (a cheap brand and cheap vehicle). The noise and vibration (including the vibration when stop at traffic light) is much worse on RX than Outlander. It should be the other way around.

FastFord 05-15-17 08:02 AM

If your right arm is shaking on the armrest you probably need your tires balanced.

It's too bad so many people have vibration issues. I wonder how many people have escalated this to Lexus, other than the dealer. Calling the Customer service center is not escalating it. They just take a report, call the dealer, dealer tells them it's normal, or can't replicate the vibration.

I'd be flipping out if I had one with a vibration issue.

NickL 05-15-17 08:17 AM

This is real unfortunate as I'm ready to make the deal on a 2017 RX350 AWD...
The wife really wants the car, but I don't want something that is going to be a headache down the line. When I test drove the vehicles, I'm not confident to say if I notice the issue or not. I'm also worried about the fact that the issue is in the back of my head and I'm biased toward that even if the vehicle is perfectly normal.

FastFord 05-15-17 08:31 AM

Maybe you have driven one...not sure. This is car 56 for me and it's one of the most quiet, smooth vehicles I have ever owned, including some 100K + cars.

There is a definite "drone" at 1200 to 1500 rpms, but very low and you have to listen for it and hold the rpm's there by extremely light acceleration.. Suspect due to very early shifting for mileage. It's like shifting a manual into 3rd at 15 mph. Any vehicle with a 8+ speed transmission is going to behave like this. Auto makers are primarily interested in low emissions and mileage. With that comes extremely low shift points.

The vibration, don't know, don't have it.

The hesitation issue seems to be resolved by the TSB. A 2017 should have the latest updates.
I have an F sport 3 with Michelins.

Take the one you want for a good test drive and see what you think.

NickL 05-15-17 08:37 AM

I mentioned the issue and of course, they all act like it's the first time they heard it. If I find a dealer who actually admit that they've heard the issue, I'll be more willing to take the vehicle. I will have to ask for a longer test drive of the vehicle we'll be buying.
If this is a design issue, it will be a long wait for the re-designed engine mount.

FastFord 05-15-17 08:44 AM

Fat chance of a dealer ever admitting to anything. As an old car guy we would never admit to a problem. Even when we knew there was one. The one and only time was a head gasket on a particular car because it was all over the news and the company had to replace 1000's of them.
As for a redesign, not happening anytime soon. They will put a patch or change bushings before a redesign.

FastFord 05-15-17 08:45 AM

Only way to know is a long test drive, with your wife and you both drive. Mix up the road conditions, hills, bad roads, stop and go, etc.

tdjacw 05-15-17 10:33 AM

The transmission is not the cause of the Drone or Vibration. I can keep mine in park and slowly rev the motor and there is a definite low frequency and roughness until the RPMS get over 2k. Who ever is looking to purchase one of these I strongly encourage you to leave the vehicle in park and slowly rev the motor if it sounds or feels different at 1500rpms than at 2K RUN away and look at another as I can guarantee, even if slight will eventually annoy you.
On a another note I was with my brother who just picked up a fully loaded Chevy Traverse crossover $35k. It is hands down smoother and quieter than my Lexus in every way. Ride quality was exceptional, even wind and road noise seemed better. If I could get that refinement with Lexus reliability it would a home run. Unfortunately Lexus sales are strong just based on reliability statistics not driving characteristics.

stevez2 05-15-17 02:23 PM

Nah

Originally Posted by pdaeng (Post 9867450)

We have both (Highlander and Rx). Rx is much quieter and tighter

tdjacw 05-15-17 05:13 PM

This is crazy, we are literally 51 pages into this thread with no resolution in site. What a shame, if it weren't for the
vibration I would be really happy with this car.