RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-16, 01:48 PM
Kingman99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed my Mind about Lexus

Based on this thread we decided to pass on Lexus and buy an Audi Q5. By the way my two neighbors who own the 2011 RX have them serviced at Toyota at a tremendous savings.
Old 07-07-16, 11:03 AM
RXLexusF
Driver School Candidate

Default Weird Discovery

I just found out a weird thing that the drone noise and vibration decreased when I use regular gas! (was using Premium)
The noise and vibration happen mostly when driving in city with eco mode. Per manual, city driving should use at least normal mode.
With normal mode and regular gas in city, I barely feel the noise and vibration.
Old 07-07-16, 11:19 AM
skarface
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RXLexusF
I just found out a weird thing that the drone noise and vibration decreased when I use regular gas! (was using Premium)
The noise and vibration happen mostly when driving in city with eco mode. Per manual, city driving should use at least normal mode.
With normal mode and regular gas in city, I barely feel the noise and vibration.
The bolded portion might be where a lot of people are having issues.
Old 07-07-16, 04:14 PM
clickart
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anybody had a YouTube video of this issue? Just want to compare it with my 2016.
Old 07-08-16, 06:06 AM
jackgong
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have driven FWD RX350 and RX450H as loaner car for at least one week of each. Mine is AWD RX350. All are regular one not F sport. I feel the FWD RX350 definitely has the most noise and vibration. 450H just had slightly drone at certain speed. Also the 450H feels to have less wind noise at high speed (>70 mph). So 450h is definitely the most quite one. But since I have driven only one of each, I cannot conclude AWD is better on this. But this is something you may need to pay attention if you are going to buy one.

Last edited by jackgong; 07-08-16 at 06:10 AM.
Old 07-09-16, 12:43 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jackgong
I have driven FWD RX350 and RX450H as loaner car for at least one week of each. Mine is AWD RX350. All are regular one not F sport. I feel the FWD RX350 definitely has the most noise and vibration. 450H just had slightly drone at certain speed. Also the 450H feels to have less wind noise at high speed (>70 mph). So 450h is definitely the most quite one. But since I have driven only one of each, I cannot conclude AWD is better on this. But this is something you may need to pay attention if you are going to buy one.
Mine has no "noise and vibration" at all, so your experience does not apply to ALL FWD 4RXs, just saying. All mine does is upshift too soon in drive.
Old 07-19-16, 07:35 PM
615tpc
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Any resolutions to this issue? My dealer says it applies only to the fwd models, not the awd. Any truth to this?
Old 07-19-16, 08:39 PM
s2000zr
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was shopping for a rx350 and I told my sales man I was going to wait bc of the vibration. A few days later he call me and said that the vibration is only in fwd. his master tech say it has something to do with the exhaust. Maybe people with AWD can comment.
Old 07-20-16, 10:24 PM
frubalup
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by s2000zr
I was shopping for a rx350 and I told my sales man I was going to wait bc of the vibration. A few days later he call me and said that the vibration is only in fwd. his master tech say it has something to do with the exhaust. Maybe people with AWD can comment.
Have an AWD F Sport and never had this problem.
Old 07-25-16, 11:16 AM
homer88
Driver School Candidate

Default 2004 RX330 has #1 "problem"

My 2004 RX330 has problem 1 as described. I brought the car to dealership, after the technician test drive, they said "it's normal". And I have tolerated this for more than 10 years already. By the way, the VIN of this car shows it was made in Japan.

After more than 10 years, it is obvious that Toyota or Lexus did not correct this issue. Just as a Toyota top manager quoted few years ago -- "Quality of Toyota has been not as good as before since they want to reduce the cost of production in order to become bigger." So, don't expect TOYOTA is as reliable as you expect.

Originally Posted by bdspilot
I don't think the new 8 speed transmission is quite dialed in yet, maybe this can be made better with a software update. I have noticed problems in 3 areas.

1. Wiith moderate acceleration the car will hesitate slightly as the car upshifts too early and then the acceleration will kick in a little abruptly.

2. When driving at speed below about 60 MPH the car is in too high a gear and tends to drone a little.

3. When using radar cruise if I slow more than 2-3 MPH the car will down shift till it hits about 4k RMP holding the original speed and then very slowly slow the 2-3 MPH and then upshift.
Old 07-28-16, 07:33 PM
615tpc
Driver

I'm confused by what fellow lexus'ers mean when they say "drone". Is it that the engine is at a very low rpm and higher gear? Does it go away if you give it gas and induce a downshift? Is it always there regardless whether light throttle or aggressive throttle. Those with this issue please enlighten.
Old 07-29-16, 09:56 AM
hydrata
Driver School Candidate

Default New Issue - Multiple vibration problems

My 2016 RX 350 has had multiple problems with vibration and noise. First "fix" was putting a motion damper on the exhaust. Second "fix" was padding and realigning a splash guard. (these are what my dealer told me). I now notice that the car occasionally has vibration and noise when stopped and in gear, such is at a stop light. Has anyone else had this problem? It's almost as though the automatic transmission doesn't always disengage sufficiently when car is in Drive and the brakes are on.
Old 08-08-16, 11:44 AM
615tpc
Driver

There are some owners on here saying no problem at all. I find it hard to believe that the problem is there for some cars and not others... Lexus has a very high degree of compliance to their design standards. So unless the design is problematic it leaves only the possibility of materials/workmanship flaws in some parts which ought to be an easy fix. I think it is more likely design related and perhaps subtle enough that some drivers don't notice it or care, or their driving style mutes it. Any thoughts?
Old 08-08-16, 12:11 PM
hydrata
Driver School Candidate

Default Noise/Vibration

The two recommended "fixes" from Lexus (exhaust motion damper and splash guard realign) did help some, but still more vibration than I expected from this car. I felt the engine both at idle in Park and at idle with the car in gear, and there was significant vibration, increasing noticeably when idling while in gear. When I asked the shop foreman at the dealer he said the 2016 engine is a redesign with higher compression, and that the amount of vibration I was feeling was normal.

Also, a noise I was hearing from the passenger front was apparently due to a problem with insufficient Freon (or whatever gas they now use) in the air conditioning. Dealer flushed and refilled my system and the noise has stopped.
Old 08-09-16, 12:57 PM
mccutcj
Driver School Candidate

I had my RX 350 in for service on Friday. I complained for the second time about excessive noise and vibration upon acceleration. On my first visit the dealer stated the vehicle was within normal operating perameters for that model and there were no issues.The customer service agent asked if I would like to ride along with the technician and explain the issue. I agreed to do so but the technician stated it was not necessary because he was aware of the problem and it had been communicated to Lexus previously. ​He stated that my vehicle was especially bad and he would contact Lexus corporate and report the issue again and would be back in touch.

Confirmation from dealer confirms to me this is a known issue and Lexus corporate has failed to respond. As a first time Lexus owner, I expected better.

The dealer has promised to get back with me as soon as they receive a response form Lexus corporate.

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration