RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-16, 02:31 PM
615tpc
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default F sport

Originally Posted by tomtom74
I got F-sport with Michelin tire and I have no issues.
Doesn't sound like its a tires issue from the others. From what I gather the F sport is the same engine transmission. Are you saying it's possibly programmed differently? In that case it sounds like an easy fix. But from what I see the only mechanical difference is the suspension, as the fuel consumption numbers are the same, therefore, my guess is the engine transmission is programmed the same. Any thoughts?
Old 06-17-16, 04:05 PM
615tpc
Driver

Well every manufacturer makes mistakes. If no fix shows up soon, the resale values will drop significantly and the market will work its magic. I'm gonna wait this one out. A test drive wouldn't tell me anything if it is ok and the new one I get has this problem.
Old 06-17-16, 07:33 PM
RXLexusF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RXLexusF
I probably bought the worst RX350 F-Sports AWD.
Issues:
AC gurgling noise
Engine drone noise on low RPM
Metal rattling noise when door shut

Took the car to the service; none got fixed. :'(
Took my car to the service again; Metal rattling noise when door shut got fixed.
Old 06-17-16, 10:10 PM
KJRodder
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RX Vibration/Drone

I've been reading this thread for months hoping Lexus was going to man up and admit the flaw in the RX. I bought my RX 350 FWD in January and the first time I drove it out of the dealer lot I noticed the drone. I took it to the dealer a couple of weeks ago just to get the problem on record with them. The tech there rode with me and acknowledged the vibration and drone. He drove others on their lot and said they had the drone also. The loaner they gave me had the drone. When he talked with Lexus they gave him the same story: "the car is the way it should be". We all know that is bs. We know they know all about the issue. Why they are choosing to pretend we are all stupid and will go away is beyond me. All they need to do is tell us they acknowledge the problem and tell us they are working on a fix and we would stick with them. Why they don't is beyond comprehension. I'm giving them a bit more time to do so and if they continue to be negligent I'm getting rid of the car. When I told my dealer I might want them to buy the car back he said Lexus did have a buy back program. I didn't get the details about it but those of you fed up might ask your dealers about it. If it does exist, I doubt it would be a decent deal. In the meantime, we need to keep hounding the dealers and Lexus. I wrote a blurb to the editor of one of the car magazines. If Lexus refuses to fix this issue then they need to pay the price in reputation and sales. A YouTube video would be great; for those who know how to do that.
Old 06-18-16, 12:04 AM
frubalup
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 615tpc
Considering a 2016 rx350 awd. Can users clarify if this is only found in the fwd models or in the awd models? Dealers says this is a fwd problem. I'm afraid to commit to this purchase as the dealer says thousands of satisfied owners and they may hide behind "it's designed that way, so not a defect" excuse. Seems like a mistake to buy it if there is no resolution as to what is causing this problem. Is it a transmission noise? Does it appear in only certain gears? Is it rpm related? Is it exhaust related? Please clarify.
I don't know about all the others, but I own an AWD and have no problems other than the A/C gurgling which does not bother me since I can't hear it unless there's nothing playing in the vehicle and I am looking for it. It's unfortunate that it seems so many people are having this problem...
Old 06-18-16, 07:38 AM
615tpc
Driver

Originally Posted by KJRodder
I've been reading this thread for months hoping Lexus was going to man up and admit the flaw in the RX. I bought my RX 350 FWD in January and the first time I drove it out of the dealer lot I noticed the drone. I took it to the dealer a couple of weeks ago just to get the problem on record with them. The tech there rode with me and acknowledged the vibration and drone. He drove others on their lot and said they had the drone also. The loaner they gave me had the drone. When he talked with Lexus they gave him the same story: "the car is the way it should be". We all know that is bs. We know they know all about the issue. Why they are choosing to pretend we are all stupid and will go away is beyond me. All they need to do is tell us they acknowledge the problem and tell us they are working on a fix and we would stick with them. Why they don't is beyond comprehension. I'm giving them a bit more time to do so and if they continue to be negligent I'm getting rid of the car. When I told my dealer I might want them to buy the car back he said Lexus did have a buy back program. I didn't get the details about it but those of you fed up might ask your dealers about it. If it does exist, I doubt it would be a decent deal. In the meantime, we need to keep hounding the dealers and Lexus. I wrote a blurb to the editor of one of the car magazines. If Lexus refuses to fix this issue then they need to pay the price in reputation and sales. A YouTube video would be great; for those who know how to do that.
No kidding and if you were the only one complaining on this board, someone with thousands of posts on here will tell you that there is nothing wrong with the car, obviously you are the only one, it is built that way, your hearing is too sensitive etc.
Old 06-18-16, 01:22 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This sound like what my 2010 RX has been doing for years, the hesitation on take off and the droning exhaust noise while accelerating.
Old 06-18-16, 05:22 PM
Comfort
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm lucky I guess, my wife's 2010 has been perfect except for the crackling steering that would have been fixed under warranty except for the dealer not reading TSB's and my not driving it enough to notice.
We decided to wait for the 17's though, because of posts on this forum and also the service writer at our dealer has had an unusual number of issues to deal with. Although he said not to worry....they were minor, normal first year stuff, blah blah. that doesn't add up since the 2010 was a first year and not many issues but then not such a major redesign either!!!
Old 06-23-16, 08:39 AM
KJRodder
Driver School Candidate

Here is another step you all need to take if you are having this problem in order to get Lexus to address this issue. Complain to Lexus directly. Go to Lexus.com, then click on the Owners tab, then click on the Contact Us tab, and then click on the Email box. This will give you an email/contact screen to fill in where you can describe the problem. A rep from Lexus will email you back and then a Case Manager will get assigned. I haven't heard back from the Case Manager yet so don't know how far this will get. But if we all do this then we know Lexus is getting more direct feedback on this flaw in the RX. The more voices the better.
Old 06-23-16, 08:55 AM
Comfort
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is another step you all need to take if you are having this problem in order to get Lexus to address this issue. Complain to Lexus directly. Go to Lexus.com, then click on the Owners tab, then click on the Contact Us tab, and then click on the Email box. This will give you an email/contact screen to fill in where you can describe the problem. A rep from Lexus will email you back and then a Case Manager will get assigned. I haven't heard back from the Case Manager yet so don't know how far this will get. But if we all do this then we know Lexus is getting more direct feedback on this flaw in the RX. The more voices the better.
I did this and they had me go back to the dealer again. The dealer had not documented my trip the week prior. In fact I was surprised at the callous way they handled my request, even after I asked that it be escalated to the next level. (And I was very polite) End result was that Lexus refused to fix the steering even though it's a documented issue with a bulletin to the dealer in 2011. They did offer $500 off the $3000 repair job, not very generous when I can buy the OEM steering column for $700 off online. At 50% off they would not lose money. Dealer and Lexus gross profit on a new car is several times that amount but customer loyalty is not a consideration at Lexus. This is the one reason I am considering another brand when I buy a 2017 this fall.
Old 06-23-16, 01:05 PM
KJRodder
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for relating your experience, Comfort. My hope is that if enough folks complain to Lexus about this vibration/noise issue that Lexus will take notice that there is a problem. To date I've seen or heard nothing that they acknowledge the issue, even though I believe they have to be aware of it. Dealing with these bureaucracies is never easy and is frustrating. We can only hope that they care about the quality of their vehicles and will take action to correct these issues. If they don't, many of us will abandon Lexus.
Old 06-27-16, 02:41 PM
donmatt
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just received a call from Lexus pertaining to my vibration complaint filed on 06-11-16. The case worker was super nice but of very little help. The result is that since the tech drove another
RX350 and it had the identical vibration as mine that this would be considered as operating per
the vehicles design. Can you believe that? Since another vehicle had the same problem it is now
designed into by the engineer. My comment to her was that if a less than qualified engineer designed this into the vehicle that maybe a smarter one could design it out. No comment from the
case worker on that. The vehicle is simply great in all other functions but this vibration on initial
start off is just annoying. Bet the 2017s wont have it.

Im' scheduling another appt with the Dealer to get documentation for the record. When I get three
I may file a Lemon Law complaint for the heck of it. Not sure that it will be heard since the vehicle will not be located at the Dealer for repair for a period 30 days. Will have to investigate this idea.

Note to other forum members: Please file a complaint with Lexus so that they will become
over whelmed with all of them. This way we may get some relief and a fix. Just a few complaints
wont be enough. Lexus will just ignore them and do nothing for the 2016 owners.
Old 06-27-16, 02:47 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

at my dealer, the service agents knew about the vibrations but no fix and nothing to do about it.

Could we get a video of it in action?

I have an f sport and have no issues with vibrations or noise or maybe I do but it just seems normal?
Old 06-27-16, 06:17 PM
615tpc
Driver

Originally Posted by donmatt
Just received a call from Lexus pertaining to my vibration complaint filed on 06-11-16. The case worker was super nice but of very little help. The result is that since the tech drove another
RX350 and it had the identical vibration as mine that this would be considered as operating per
the vehicles design. Can you believe that? Since another vehicle had the same problem it is now
designed into by the engineer. My comment to her was that if a less than qualified engineer designed this into the vehicle that maybe a smarter one could design it out. No comment from the
case worker on that. The vehicle is simply great in all other functions but this vibration on initial
start off is just annoying. Bet the 2017s wont have it.

Im' scheduling another appt with the Dealer to get documentation for the record. When I get three
I may file a Lemon Law complaint for the heck of it. Not sure that it will be heard since the vehicle will not be located at the Dealer for repair for a period 30 days. Will have to investigate this idea.

Note to other forum members: Please file a complaint with Lexus so that they will become
over whelmed with all of them. This way we may get some relief and a fix. Just a few complaints
wont be enough. Lexus will just ignore them and do nothing for the 2016 owners.
This has been my unfortunate experience with Toyota in general. Our Camry had the infamous rotten egg smell on hard acceleration, first they blamed the gas, then the car in front, then they finally acknowledged that "if the car is designed that way, it is not a defect". Same response with the sienna vibration we had. It's not a defect, so not warrantable, so doesn't affect reliability. Not impressed. I suspect, based on other vehicles with similar issues, that their inability to address this may also be due to a need for transmission/engine reprogramming which would require epa recertification.
Old 06-27-16, 09:23 PM
seraphicsw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with you. I took my RX350 to the service center and they acknowledged the drone and vibration. so they collected the data from my car and sent to the headquarter of Lexus. I'm waiting for the response. if they ignore this issue, then owners should get together and start the legal action against to Lexus. I will also make my effort to damage the reputation of Lexus.

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration