ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-4th-gen-2016-2022-273/)
-   -   2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-4th-gen-2016-2022/807592-2016-rx-350-excessive-noise-and-vibration.html)

Paulinsd 03-09-19 10:42 AM

2016 RX 350 Noise and Vibration - TSB repair w/service record

1 Attachment(s)
All, I recently purchased a 2016 RX 350 FWD with 31,000 miles. It had the vibration. I read through this thread. Very helpful. thank you all for posting.
I decided to take it to the San Diego Lexus dealer armed with the TSB info.
They did the repair under warranty. The car now has ZERO vibration at any speed. Very satisfied with the result.
My work order is attached.
Thank you again all for contributing. I learn a ton from this site and this is my first post. Thought it was time to give a little back.

cadi2lexus 03-09-19 02:02 PM

Since the Lexus fix doesn't seem to work for a lot of people including me, I wonder if anybody has tried taking their RX 350 to a regular muffler shop to see if they can solve the problem?

I took my 2017 RX 350 AWD in for the fix. When I picked it up, the dealer told me "it's much better now." However, I found it to be much worse than before but I'm afraid to have them do any more for fear of them making it even worse.

guxu 03-14-19 09:15 AM

Got a 2019 ES 350 as a loaner today. No noise, no vibration, just smooth ride. It is sad that a cheaper ES is better than our RX :egads:

situman 03-14-19 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by guxu (Post 10466443)
Got a 2019 ES 350 as a loaner today. No noise, no vibration, just smooth ride. It is sad that a cheaper ES is better than our RX :egads:

The ES is on a completely new platform with a complete redesign. The current RX is just a warmed over Gen3, which is a warmed over Gen2..well you get the idea.

gadgetman1 03-14-19 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by situman (Post 10466527)
The ES is on a completely new platform with a complete redesign. The current RX is just a warmed over Gen3, which is a warmed over Gen2..well you get the idea.

Oh dear, no wonder there are vibration/noise problems! I was under the understanding that Gen 4 was all new from the ground up...

john341 03-14-19 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by gadgetman1 (Post 10466567)

Oh dear, no wonder there are vibration/noise problems! I was under the understanding that Gen 4 was all new from the ground up...

Its 15 year old platform. New highlander is suppose to be previewed soon, so the New RX should be out in about 1.5 years.

GSFRX350 03-14-19 04:52 PM

Comparing an ES to an RX?? They are a different animal, one being the latest in a sedan platform, and the other and old platform in an SUV body (rear wheels in cabin).

situman 03-15-19 07:23 AM

It isnt that the platform is old that's causing the vibrations. Just Lexus trying to save some money to offset the cost of modifying and producing old platforms.

rxtimes2 03-15-19 07:48 AM

Military/civilian aircraft and ships can easily go fifty years with the same platform. Nothing wrong with keeping the same basic components as long as they are good ones.

gadgetman1 03-15-19 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by rxtimes2 (Post 10467155)
Military/civilian aircraft and ships can easily go fifty years with the same platform. Nothing wrong with keeping the same basic components as long as they are good ones.

I wouldn’t argue with that logic. In my own aircraft experience, I have seen where a platform is continuously improved & flaws are eliminated with each new update. However, this doesn’t appear that good & the same flaws carry over from year to year. I’m not trying to be critical of the RX, it’s just an observation. I haven’t had anything major with my RX, but I’m not sure I would go jump on a new one. Everything that I was lead to believe about the RX being extremely well built & reliable is out the window. I just noticed that my rear seat cup holder is broken AGAIN for the 2nd time! No one hardly sits back there. The design is stupid & totally unreliable. My biggest complaint is that Lexus is ignoring the little things that add up over time.

situman 03-15-19 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by rxtimes2 (Post 10467155)

Originally Posted by gadgetman1 (Post 10467170)

I wouldn’t argue with that logic. In my own aircraft experience, I have seen where a platform is continuously improved & flaws are eliminated with each new update. However, this doesn’t appear that good & the same flaws carry over from year to year. I’m not trying to be critical of the RX, it’s just an observation. I haven’t had anything major with my RX, but I’m not sure I would go jump on a new one. Everything that I was lead to believe about the RX being extremely well built & reliable is out the window. I just noticed that my rear seat cup holder is broken AGAIN for the 2nd time! No one hardly sits back there. The design is stupid & totally unreliable. My biggest complaint is that Lexus is ignoring the little things that add up over time.

I wouldnt compare a car platform to aircraft and ship platforms that was designed to handle extreme conditions constantly. The 2 times I had an RX, 2010 and 2011-2013, I was very disappointed. It had a lot of road and wind noise and lots of impact harshness over bump. And watching video reviews of the current gen, that doesnt seem to have changed.

rxtimes2 03-16-19 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by situman (Post 10467331)
I wouldnt compare a car platform to aircraft and ship platforms that was designed to handle extreme conditions constantly. The 2 times I had an RX, 2010 and 2011-2013, I was very disappointed. It had a lot of road and wind noise and lots of impact harshness over bump. And watching video reviews of the current gen, that doesnt seem to have changed.

You have a point, but I flew my 1949 Cessna 140A for many years, and it is still flying. Likewise I rebuilt my 1949 Harley Flathead, and 1957 Harley Panhead, rode them, and they are both still on the road. A lot of maintenance - you betcha, but pretty good platforms.

I think part of the problem is that we expect an SUV to behave like a luxury sedan. The RX was not designed to be like an LS. The RX, by design, rides a little stiff, and is a little noisy, but it’s an SUV. I do think there are problems with droning, and shifting hesitation, that Lexus is trying, unsuccessfully, to address, but the basic RX platform is fine.

gadgetman1 03-16-19 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by rxtimes2 (Post 10467971)

You have a point, but I flew my 1949 Cessna 140A for many years, and it is still flying. Likewise I rebuilt my 1949 Harley Flathead, and 1957 Harley Panhead, rode them, and they are both still on the road. A lot of maintenance - you betcha, but pretty good platforms.

I think part of the problem is that we expect an SUV to behave like a luxury sedan. The RX was not designed to be like an LS. The RX, by design, rides a little stiff, and is a little noisey, but it’s an SUV. I do think there are problems with droning, and shifting hesitation, that Lexus is trying, unsuccessfully, to address, but the basic RX platform is fine.

Agreed. I’m always surprised when folks say the RX rides stiffer. Stiffer than what? I’m VERY pleased with my RX ride and quietness. After I got rid of the awful Bridgestone tires, I now have a HUGE hush. I never realized just how noisy those junk tires were. Our Camaro SS has the Goodyear Eagle run flat performance tires & they can get noisy, but damn, they grip like crazy.

I’m convinced that Lexus hasn’t really tackled the droaning at the level required. I worked with some university engineering departments to try to solve harmonic oscillation cracking, where metal poles vibrate in the wind and eventually crack. All metal oscillates. Some frequencies are destructive and some are not. Usually, some form of dampening stops most destructive frequencies (similar to installing Dynamat). This is why I’m hesitant to go further with another Lexus. The RX isn’t their most expensive, but they sell at least 3X more RX than any other model. Why wouldn’t they just solve this?! This problem has come down losing customers vs. spending money for a solution. That usually doesn’t end well for a company’s reputation.

thesemes 03-27-19 04:49 PM

2017 rx350 drone issue service completed-results

I received back my 2017 rx350 (fwd) from the dealer with the exhaust center pipe assembly fix applied. I was also there for the ICS recall, 15K service and an ongoing janky transmission shifting complaint. (I've had complaints about the transmission hunting/shifting and the drone since day one, however it had had recently become much more noticeable to me and all occupants in the car). I can see the updated center pipe, but don't know if they ever previously scanned/connected to the ecu to see if the transmission flash was done (per the VIN it was always relayed to me as such).

Complete night and day difference. I couldnt be more (surprised) pleased to have this fixed and now have the RX that shifts/sounds like our old 2002, 2007, 2011 & 2015 used to do.

worth a mention i hope and if you need a scan of my *invoice* I can post up the part #s!

thesemes 03-27-19 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by stevemcb (Post 10320604)

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...fe65ff0b8.jpeg
Job work order.
Had the center pipe replaced and Drone noise is now gone. Much quieter. Sounds like the 2018 loaner I had.

same exact fix here (and same notice on the 2018 loaner I had for 6 days)