RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Where to put phone in RX (merged phone mounts thread)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-17, 01:42 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Yeesh, a bunch of you guys are using such unsightly phone mounts. No offense but it detracts from our gorgeous interior. Here's my simple magnetic mount solution:

Last edited by ericsan13; 09-14-17 at 01:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
NX200 (06-05-20)
Old 09-14-17, 02:50 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

This is my favorite phone mount. You can mount/dismount your phone more easily compared to other phone mounts I have tried. Also doesn't require me to put a bulky case on my phone to put a metal plate on the back to use with magnetic mounts.

Old 09-14-17, 04:04 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by dchar
Also doesn't require me to put a bulky case on my phone to put a metal plate on the back to use with magnetic mounts.
Why bother with a bulky case if you don't want to use a case? Just slap on a magnet sticker or hide it underneath your phone skin. Here is my iPhone 7 Plus with a metal plate under a carbon fiber skin (that matches the carbon fiber on my car btw):

It's so skinny I had to turn the contrast up so you could even see it. Even then it's difficult to see (there's a circle hump in the dead center) and it's hardly noticeable in my pocket. CD mounts not pretty to look at and think of the potential long term damage of stretching the CD slot.

Last edited by ericsan13; 09-14-17 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-15-17, 08:09 AM
TeKKieNYC
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I use this
Amazon Amazon

If you place your phone on the 2nd magnet, you pretty much have access to everything (including the clock), what's blocked are the forward buttons, and it looks decent without the phone on it.
The following users liked this post:
NX200 (06-05-20)
Old 09-19-17, 08:33 AM
seolyang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use ProClip Dash Mount. It comes in two parts separately, a mount and a phone holder. I just use the mount and bought a separate holder with a adhesive base. That way you don't have to stick the adhesive anywhere on the car itself. It's super sturdy and phone does not vibrate at all.
Old 10-18-17, 10:00 PM
hypermyk
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where did you buy mount?

Originally Posted by Flash916
Just wanted to see what solutions people have come up with for holding or mounting their phone. I use audible and Spotify in my car a lot so like to have my phone visible (until there is a CarPlay solution). Here is what I've come up with. Anyone have a better solution?

Old 10-19-17, 05:08 AM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

I just got my phone mount from Amazon:

Amazon Amazon

It opens a bit farther than advertised and easily fits my Iphone 6+ even with a bulky phone case. The sides ratchet in to grab the phone case sides securely against soft rubber bumpers and it has little legs that fold out on the bottom. The phone stays in the mount even when twisted to horizontal. The mount attaches to the CD player slot and the tabs that extend in to the CD slot have soft rubber grippers that do the job without having to put any undue pressure on the CD player slot. This puts the phone up where I can see it without looking down. One push of the phone mount release button and the side grip arms pop out releasing the phone. At this mount position I can still see the analog clock and really nothing else of note is obscured by the phone or mount. Hands down the best phone mount I've ever bought at any price!
Old 10-19-17, 07:47 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

I put my iPhone 7+ at the front of the console, just forward of the seat heat/cool controls & plug it into the power port just to the right. I use Bluetooth streaming & phone connections & I have no need to look at the screen while driving - it’s also illegal now to be holding your phone & driving. Hands free is OK. It infuriates me seeing all the idiots on the road jacking with their phones while trying to drive (not doing a good job of driving either)! Geez! Put the damn phones down & drive before you kill someone! Yes, that happened here - a motorcycle cop was hit & killed by a stupid woman talking on her phone while driving. They charged her with negligent homicide.
Old 12-30-17, 07:27 PM
raysmd
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

where did you get the magnetic mount and qi charger?

thanks

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Yeesh, a bunch of you guys are using such unsightly phone mounts. No offense but it detracts from our gorgeous interior. Here's my simple magnetic mount solution:

Old 01-02-18, 12:21 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by raysmd
where did you get the magnetic mount and qi charger?

thanks
I purchased both the magnetic mount and qi charger from ebay. Here are some examples:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/272967516301 - magnetic mount
https://www.ebay.com/itm/112641219166 - qi charger magnetic mount

So far I like the qi charger more than my old magnetic mount. When using GPS, the phone will barely increase charge but the convenience factor is worth it. I can just slap my phone on and pull it off when I am out and about. If I want to charge my phone faster, I still have the option of plugging in a cable.

Both mounts come with 3M VHB tape which is designed for car surfaces and can be cleanly removed.
Old 01-16-18, 09:35 PM
Suns75
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by noeldavid
I bought the Koomus CD-Air cd slot car mount holder because it only blocks the analog clock and first row of buttons and the phone is set 6 inches away from the dash so you are able to touch your phone without lifting your elbow from the armrest while driving ( no reaching ). Here are some photos of my Nexus 6 with a 6inch screen, bigger than iphone 6s with a slim cover

While resting the right hand on the shifter you can easily touch the screen without lifting your arm AND you can install this phone mount holder upside down to have a better lower placement of your phone.
Thanks for your advice. After seeing your post, I went on Amazon and bought a Koomus CD-Air Pro that fits into the CD slot. It works great. I like it better than the vent holder mount that I used to use. It feels sturdier and doesn’t come off like the vent holder mount.
Old 01-18-18, 07:03 PM
Googs
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I do not see the Qi charger in your pictures?
Old 01-20-18, 05:39 PM
mike212
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Qi fast charger. Works with galaxy s8+ and charges through the case. I've got the vent closed for the winter, but plan on having it open to help cool the phone as it charges in the summer.
Old 02-07-18, 12:27 AM
Rarebird
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by noeldavid

The Koomus Cd-Air holds your phone 6 inches away from the dash and you can access the navigation GPS controls of your phone while leaving your hand resting on the armrest without reaching. I leave my palm on top of the shifter while my finger touches the screen. It only blocks the analog clock from view and you keep your air vents with free air flow. You can also install it up side down to better accomodate a lower even closer angle.
thanks! I have an iPhone X and after seeing your solution I just ordered Koomus for mine.
Currently I use a cupholder mount but was getting tired of my phone sitting so low. I too have RX without navigation
and a smaller screen so I think it would be a perfect solution.

I stay away from magnetic mount as I use QI charger for my phone and you can’t have magnets on your case.
Old 02-21-18, 05:59 AM
DMVRX350F
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Although it's probably one of the most expensive options, I highly recommend ProClip mounts. Your phone will fit like a glove bc you can customize it to the exact width of your phone. And it will most likely never fall out bc the width is set with a screw, making it somewhat difficult to change the width setting on the fly, but how often would you need to do that anyways. Plus, it's up and away (far right of center-right vent), which is my preferred location, as it doesn't block any of the center console and allows you to quickly/safely glance over while driving. I don't know how some people have their cell phone mounts down low. To me, that's an accident waiting to happen...

I have the following:
ProClip Lexus RX Series Center Dash Mount ($29.99)
https://www.proclipusa.com/product/8...p-center-mount
Adjustable iPhone Holder ($39.99) - opted for this holder bc I keep a thin TPU case on my phone at all times
https://www.proclipusa.com/product/5...o-medium-cases

Quick Reply: Where to put phone in RX (merged phone mounts thread)