RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Where to put phone in RX (merged phone mounts thread)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-16, 09:02 PM
john221us
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just drop it in one of the cup holders
Old 03-22-16, 05:23 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

The phone mounting solution we use in our 2014 Toyota Sienna Limited might work in the gen4 RX. It's an iOttie Easy Flex 2 mounted on an iOttie Sticky Gel Pad for Curved Dashboards. I mounted it on the right side of the instrument cluster hood so that it doesn't block the speedometer or air vent.

I stream audio from a number of Internet sources and from my music library stored on my phone and this mounting position makes the phone screen easy to reach without taking my eyes off the road much.

I use the iBolt Dock'n Drive Android app to organize the phone apps I use while driving - free for Android but the iPhone version might cost a few bucks.

There are a variety of iOttie phone holders that some might like better but the Gel Pad is the key for getting them to stick to curved, textured dashboards: http://www.iottie.com
Attached Thumbnails Where to put phone in RX (merged phone mounts thread)-iottie-easy-flex-2-phone-holder-on-iottie-sticky-gel-pad-for-curved-dashboards-front-view.jpg   Where to put phone in RX (merged phone mounts thread)-iottie-easy-flex-2-phone-holder-on-iottie-sticky-gel-pad-for-curved-dashboards-side-view.jpg  
Old 03-30-16, 03:01 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

I just ordered the iOttie Easy View 2 mount which comes with the sticky gel pad. My Galaxy S6 phone has a heavy duty/big case on it which makes it 3.25" wide and this mount can accomodate phones 2.3-3.5" wide. I hope to install this somewhere on the dashboard. Amazon sells this for $14.95

I currently have a Kenu Airframe which mounts on the air vent, but my rear passengers sometime complain that there's not enough A/C hitting the rear seats since the phone blocks one of the vents:
Amazon.com: Kenu Airframe+ Portable Car Mount for Smartphones and Phablets - Black - Retail Packaging: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Kenu Airframe+ Portable Car Mount for Smartphones and Phablets - Black - Retail Packaging: Cell Phones & Accessories

http://www.iottie.com/Product/Detail...artphone-Black

I'll post pictures once i get it installed

Last edited by skiracer; 03-30-16 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-01-16, 12:04 PM
noeldavid
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Koomus CD-Air on 2016 Lexus RX

I bought the Koomus CD-Air cd slot car mount holder because it only blocks the analog clock and first row of buttons and the phone is set 6 inches away from the dash so you are able to touch your phone without lifting your elbow from the armrest while driving ( no reaching ). Here are some photos of my Nexus 6 with a 6inch screen, bigger than iphone 6s with a slim cover

While resting the right hand on the shifter you can easily touch the screen without lifting your arm AND you can install this phone mount holder upside down to have a better lower placement of your phone.

Last edited by noeldavid; 04-01-16 at 12:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by noeldavid:
MODale (09-16-19), Suns75 (01-16-18)
Old 04-14-16, 09:23 AM
Timobi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I am thinking of getting the new iPhone 5-SE rather than the bigger 6. I always liked the 5 size for pockets and it will fit in the compartment designed for a phone.

Actually thats a question. Will an iPhone 5 fit in that area?
Old 04-14-16, 10:06 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by winsalem
I guess I don't understand. Why aren't people using the Bluetooth feature that's in EVERY new RX (whether you have NAV or not -- at least I thought so)?

My phone stays in my pocket. I stream my music, I answer and make calls, I dictate and receive texts (they're read to me), dictate and receive emails (also read to me).

Please enlighten me, since I am obviously missing something here...
Same here. It works great!
Old 04-14-16, 10:46 AM
atomarchio
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd rather have around or on the console. For me it's not comfortable in my pocket while driving.
Old 04-14-16, 11:40 AM
noeldavid
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The Koomus Cd-Air holds your phone 6 inches away from the dash and you can access the navigation GPS controls of your phone while leaving your hand resting on the armrest without reaching. I leave my palm on top of the shifter while my finger touches the screen. It only blocks the analog clock from view and you keep your air vents with free air flow. You can also install it up side down to better accomodate a lower even closer angle.
The following users liked this post:
Rarebird (02-07-18)
Old 04-14-16, 11:55 AM
frubalup
Driver School Candidate

If the problem is that you can't put it in the spot where the RX has designed a phone compartment for cell phones the size of iPhone 5S and smaller, then it seems rather strange that you wouldn't just put it right into the console armrest behind that compartment along with your USB cable. What's the difference between the two? The only difference to me is that it is neater.

I myself still have an iPhone 5S and still don't use that compartment either way. It either stays in my pocket or in the cupholder normally for easier access.
Old 04-14-16, 01:10 PM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by winsalem
I guess I don't understand. Why aren't people using the Bluetooth feature that's in EVERY new RX (whether you have NAV or not -- at least I thought so)?

My phone stays in my pocket. I stream my music, I answer and make calls, I dictate and receive texts (they're read to me), dictate and receive emails (also read to me).

Please enlighten me, since I am obviously missing something here...
Me too. Phone stays in my purse usually in the back seat. I can answer the phone, read and reply to text and my favorite music is always playing. Of course, siri only works with iPhone.
Unless a phone needs charging. I can't think of a reason to have it near and I always carry a battery pack too.
Old 04-14-16, 01:14 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Unless you plan to use google maps, why not just plug it into the usb ports in the armrest and leave it there?
Old 04-14-16, 01:21 PM
NRX
Driver

Originally Posted by Timobi
So I am thinking of getting the new iPhone 5-SE rather than the bigger 6. I always liked the 5 size for pockets and it will fit in the compartment designed for a phone.

Actually thats a question. Will an iPhone 5 fit in that area?
My iPhone 5S fits (with a spigen cover) fits just fine so I'd imagine that a 5-SE should fit as well.
Old 08-11-16, 08:37 PM
TonyGulati
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best phone mount for 2016 RX

Anyone who uses their phone for primary navigation, does anyone have a good phone mount recommendation? Whether its one for air vents or anything that will be sturdy and safe?
Old 09-12-17, 10:28 AM
tommytqt
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I am looking for this threat as well. I'll post mine later today. But still really need a better location.
Old 09-12-17, 11:57 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by tommytqt
I am looking for this threat as well. I'll post mine later today. But still really need a better location.
After a year and 1/2 later they maybe have improved.

Quick Reply: Where to put phone in RX (merged phone mounts thread)