RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Anyone else deciding between highlander hybrid or RX350/450H?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-15, 08:33 AM
gsnav
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else deciding between highlander hybrid or RX350/450H?

Hey Everyone,

Long time clublexus member with little activity since my GS days. Now that I have a family (wife + 2 young toddlers), we are deciding between the 2016 Highlander and 2016 RX. Price range, the differences is not a factor. It's about usability. I'm wondering what led people to go RX over the highlander if they were considering it. I'm thinking about trunk space and interior space. The 3rd row of the highlander is nice and the captain seats in the 2nd row.

Any thoughts on this would be great! Thanks! Glad to be back.
Old 12-19-15, 12:37 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Highlander is the better pick if you really need to carry big items thanks to its larger box-like rear cargo area. It also has more usable interior space and conveniences like the huge center console and horizontal dash tray. And those mid-row captain seats are sweet since they keep the kids a little more APART!

However, over the last several years, we managed nicely with a 2RX and 3RX for my kids growing up without issue carrying all the usual kid stuff like a play pen, wagon, carriage, toys, etc. It all depends on how much stuff you need to carry at once but the RX will be sufficient for a young family of 4 even when we went on family vacations/road trips.

So if you fall in the "family-of-four norm" and the +-8K price premium is not an issue, get the RX for its smoother ride, better NVH, better materials quality, newest peppier powertrain (new 3.5L / 8-speed auto), more distinctive styling, and Lexus brand.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 12-19-15 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-19-15, 12:45 PM
Cjl22
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have given it some thought, however, if you go to the toyotanation highlander forum it will scare the b'jesus out of you. Several people selling their highlander after a month. Wind noise, drone noise in exhaust, ac servo noise, rattles, the list goes on. Absolutely no help from the dealership. I've driven a Lexus since 1992, I'm not changing now. Once my wife decides between obsidian and caviar, I'm putting an order in for an RX. Good luck.
Old 12-19-15, 12:49 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

^^^ Those noise and rattle issues (although minor in the grand scheme of things) would drive me to get rid of it too.
Old 12-19-15, 01:54 PM
joewnj
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My wife test drove a Highlander immediately after test driving an NX200 and RX350. She fell in love with it. When I found the toyotanation Highlander forum, I found that the top of line Highlander had plastic hubcaps over the premium wheels and were glued on and not replaceable unless you replace the entire wheel. Tough luck if you hit a curb. Also numerous instances of the Navigation crashing and the top of line entertainment system was considered junk. I even found a professional review on another site where the reviewer thought he got a defective unit since he couldn't believe the audio quality was so bad. It took another month and visits to dealers of multiple other brands to convince my wife to get the RX350. She is gradually warming up to the radical new look. If you don't want the top of line unit with all the safety features, navigation, and high end (junk radio) the Highlander is a good choice and a lot cheaper. But I decided to spend the extra money since my wife wanted all the new safety features and navigation.
wife: 2016 RX350 (traded in 2008 RX400H)
me: 2012 RX350
Old 12-20-15, 03:46 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Might be prejudiced by I would pick the Lexus for dependability.
Old 12-20-15, 06:16 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Ever since Toyota started building cars here in the USA quality and reliability went from bullet proof excellent to Average. We have had two Toyota Camrys in my family a 2007 and a 2010. Both had electrical problems like trunk release would open by itself while driving on highway and car would not start on occasion. Headlight fuse would blow while driving at high and had to switch to high beams to make it home. Lights were halogens so i dont know why fuse would blow so often the bulbs themselves were fine. Transmission on both cars were rough shifting and slipping. Ending up selling both cars. We bought both cars because of toyotas reputation for reliability. Boy we were wrong.

I will forever continue buy lexus from now on. Toyota back when they were still made in Japan were bullet proof. We had a 1982 Corolla that has 400,000 miles on it and it still runs. Those Camrys that broke down only had about 90,000 on them. Get the RX you will not be disappointed.

Last edited by AL13NV8D3R; 12-20-15 at 06:19 AM.
Old 12-20-15, 09:35 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Was actually talking to a guy (retired from body stamping and welding) last night about Toyota and asked him about the new Lexus plant in Georgetown. He said quality control is a HUGE concern right now. Understandable, that you bring your high end car to a Toyota line that the workers need to get accustomed to the expectations. A lot of learning going on right now.

Lexus needs to leave the building of their cars in Japan. Point blank, period.

I considered the Highlander, but it doesn't sound like we would be happy with it.
Old 12-20-15, 01:20 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Thing is majority of the RXs (including the 450h) for the N.A market are to be sourced from Canada, not Japan. Does that make the RX less of a quality product? Honestly don't know but my '13 RX F Sport (built in Canada) had a few disappointingly noticeable rattles, worst of any Lexus I've owned of which all were from Japan.

Are your 16 RXs built in Canada and how are they holding up?
Old 12-20-15, 07:56 PM
joewnj
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my wife's 2016 RX has a JT (for Japan) VIN number. I have seen a mix of 2T and JT on the dealer's web site.
Old 12-21-15, 04:09 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Was actually talking to a guy (retired from body stamping and welding) last night about Toyota and asked him about the new Lexus plant in Georgetown. He said quality control is a HUGE concern right now. Understandable, that you bring your high end car to a Toyota line that the workers need to get accustomed to the expectations. A lot of learning going on right now.

I considered the Highlander, but it doesn't sound like we would be happy with it.
The majority of Lexus vehicles are not built in Japan and have not been for a while and yet Lexus still tops the list for quality/dependability.
Old 12-21-15, 08:36 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by RXOwner
The majority of Lexus vehicles are not built in Japan and have not been for a while and yet Lexus still tops the list for quality/dependability.
Not true...most Lexus models are still made in Japan.

Old 12-21-15, 02:46 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by RXOwner
False.....
Old 12-21-15, 03:16 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

the extra 3rd row for the kiddos sold us on the highlander
Old 12-21-15, 03:23 PM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Problem is that with the strength of the dollar re: exchange rate, it is very difficult for Toyota to maintain the desired price point for their high volume vehicles and build in Japan. Same with other manufacturers as well, which is why more production being moved to North America.

Quick Reply: Anyone else deciding between highlander hybrid or RX350/450H?