RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Anyone else deciding between highlander hybrid or RX350/450H?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-19, 11:52 AM
maya1883
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2ndName
That's hilarious, we both made the decision based on our better half, lol.The most important factor!
haha you are right
Old 04-12-19, 01:20 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,509 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by maya1883
haha you are right
Are you sure you don't have a UX, not an RX?

And are you also sure you didn't just post a paraphrased version (if you could call it that) of the previous post?

I mean look at this:

"We were on the same situation before settling on the RX."
"We were on the same boat before deciding on the RX."

"You get much more vehicle in the Highlander regarding usefulness."
"You get a lot more car in the Highlander in terms of functionality."

etc...

@2ndName sorry to ruin your fun
The following users liked this post:
2ndName (04-12-19)
Old 04-12-19, 06:47 PM
Getty
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Yeah... I like these guys and feel a bit of kinship, but the idea that the wife decided on RX over Highlander? You guys have some good, strong women!

This still blows my mind... if a guy was dead-set on a Highlander... Jeez... go drive a 4Runner Limited. It feels more powerful, CORNERS better, has a better stereo, looks "macho" as hell... AND holds a ton of cargo (get a 3rd row if you want)... and THEN tell me the wife won the battle for an RX.

The Highlander is a neutered RX (with a little more room in back)... ignore all the luxury and get in that Highlander and stomp it... then do the same in the RX... but make sure nobody's in front of you in the RX 'cause you'll crash into them... meanwhile I always kept a book in the Highlander... so that I could floor it and distract myself with a couple chapters of good reading until the car was ready to go.
Old 04-12-19, 08:31 PM
2ndName
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07

And are you also sure you didn't just post a paraphrased version (if you could call it that) of the previous post?

I mean look at this:

"We were on the same situation before settling on the RX."
"We were on the same boat before deciding on the RX."

"You get much more vehicle in the Highlander regarding usefulness."
"You get a lot more car in the Highlander in terms of functionality."

etc...

@2ndName sorry to ruin your fun
lol, wait what?
Old 04-13-19, 08:25 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 465 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Getty
Yeah... I like these guys and feel a bit of kinship, but the idea that the wife decided on RX over Highlander? You guys have some good, strong women!
This still blows my mind... if a guy was dead-set on a Highlander... Jeez... go drive a 4Runner Limited. It feels more powerful, CORNERS better, has a better stereo, looks "macho" as hell... AND holds a ton of cargo (get a 3rd row if you want)... and THEN tell me the wife won the battle for an RX.
The Highlander is a neutered RX (with a little more room in back)... ignore all the luxury and get in that Highlander and stomp it... then do the same in the RX... but make sure nobody's in front of you in the RX 'cause you'll crash into them... meanwhile I always kept a book in the Highlander... so that I could floor it and distract myself with a couple chapters of good reading until the car was ready to go.
In every acceleration test I've read, both the Highlander and the RX were within tenths of a second of each other. Are there any actual tests you can quote to back up your assertion that the Highlander is so much slower than the RX?
Old 04-13-19, 10:14 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Wait are you saying that a 4Runner drives better than a Highlander? I drove a 4Runner for a weekend in LA and it was terrible. I've never driven a highlander though.

A 4Runner with its top-heavy body-on-frame floaty truck suspension definitely will not corner better or outperform a highlander in my opinion.
Old 04-13-19, 01:41 PM
Getty
Driver School Candidate

This is the worst aspect of forums. You have to make the same points. A 4Runner with KDSS or X-REAS is nothing like an SR5 or non-KDSS.

As for Highlander vs RX... drive both.

Ive owned a ‘17 Highlander SE for 1.5 years... the ONLY reason I bought an RX is because it’s completely different IMO.

If I made a video and tried to be as scientific as possible, everyone would still believe what they want to believe and cite reasons why.

If if you REALLY want to know. Do your own test-drive. I bought an RX for the vastly different driving experience.
Old 04-13-19, 08:28 PM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Just for fun,

You want an incredible driving experience? For something completely different, go to your nearest BMW dealer and test drive the X3 M40i. It will absolutely blow your mind in the Sport+ mode...it’s insanely fast! I owned one for almost a year, but the Lexus quiet comfortable ride is more “wife” friendly than the G forces; pinning her to the seat on every straight away. Man that car was fun. Hope to have another one in year or two.
Getty (04-13-19)
Old 04-13-19, 08:39 PM
Getty
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I'm quite familiar with the x3 m40i... 4.4, 0-60. I didn't have to look that up... I already knew... AND it's in the same price-range as the RX 350, HOWEVER... I'd like a car that I can count on for a really long time, and while speed is a merit of the bimmer... reliability isn't. Not saying I wouldn't enjoy one... but the niceties of the RX plus legendary reliability... were a factor for me.

I'd still like to drive the bimmer... and that may turn me, but... I'm pretty happy with the pull of the RX.

Something else I thought may be logical... at least within the case I'm presenting on Highlander vs. RX. I guess someone reading this could think I'm lying about owning both... OR... that I am somehow delusional on the differences... but the one thing I keep returning to... is if you're considering both, do yourself the favor of test-driving both of them. It's funny to me that someone would rather debate whatever points they can find online, instead of just SEEING for themselves... because the third option (related to me)... Is I'm some guy who can plunk down $48K to experience a minor difference in the Highlander and RX... and man, if that's the case... I must be killing it in life... but yeah... I'm not. To go from Highlander to RX is about $8K extra or so... and I wouldn't do that for nicer seats either... but... it costs ZERO to test-drive a car. By the time I tried many, the dealers just gave the me the keys and I left by myself... and that's how I ended up with the RX. It was the most satisfying... be sure your test-drive includes a little bit of highway... and get out there and pass someone. You'll see... and hopefully do it in the two cars you're comparing.

The RX is no x3 m40i... but... it pulls... satisfyingly so.
xxx350L (04-13-19)
Old 04-14-19, 04:40 AM
norbtx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's funny to me that someone would rather debate whatever points they can find online, instead of just SEEING for themselves... because the third option (related to me)..
Easy to see why, because the dealer experience sucks! That's why dealers want people to come in person instead of dealing via email. Once there, they use their sleazy tactics on you.
Old 04-14-19, 06:38 AM
Getty
Driver School Candidate

Maybe it’s different in your area, but here, I could go to any dealer, walk in, ask for a sales person and simply say, “I’m interested in a ______ and I’d like to test drive one”... every dealer I went to was immediately helpful.

BE FRIENDLY... they will want to copy/scan your driver’s license ( pretty reasonable when you want to drive a new car without giving them a dime, plus they need that for insurance) AND they will want your contact info.

If you say, I don’t want anyone to call me I just want to drive the car, they are probably not going to be very friendly about it. Happily giving contact info says “I’m actually interested in buying a car from you.”

After you drive whatever cars you were interested in driving, thank the sales person and tell them you were looking at other options also and you will get back with them. If they want you to come into an office and get some numbers, you can do that or you can tell them you’re not ready for that part yet because you’re not decided on which car you want and “Until I drive _____ I’m not buying anything and I don’t want to waste your time.”

Both of these were TRUE for me. I was always friendly, and while there was a big difference from dealer to dealer (personalities and overall impression of the place) all let me drive anything I wanted.

The Toyota dealer let me leave by myself in 3 different 4Runners. Even though I ended up with an RX I will return to that Toyota dealer when the 4R is updated.

While dealers/salespeople can be sleazy, realize that part of their job includes THEM being lied to and jerked around. If you go in friendly and forthright... not acting like they should kiss your butt as a potential buyer... and especially if you’re really NOT ready to buy and honest about that, I think you’ll have a better experience.
Old 04-14-19, 10:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

And to re-state part of my logic in finding this so... hmm... "odd"... is the extensive race-mods of the F-Sport... because if that's the common concensus, that the Highlander and RX drive about the same, then all that physical stuff in the F-Sport is "poser" stuff... but *I* don't believe that it IS poser-stuff... when I drive my RX... I'm thrilled and delighted at the power and handling... meanwhile my Highlander SE is boring. It's like driving around in a comfy office... that pitches and rolls with the turns and never really feels quick. That's my opinion... and if I'm totally wrong... then I actually feel I made the best choice in RX anyway (which I didn't before now, because I think the stuff in the F is super-cool, but not if it's only as quick as a Highlander... which, I don't think they are comparable when I drive them.)
The F Sport "stuff" in the RX is all just for looks. Its essentially the same vehicle as the non F Sport RX. 0-60 times don't lie, the RX F Sport or not it no quicker than a Highlander.

Completely different vehicle. One wouldn't buy a Highlander unless they have people they need to haul around. The Highlander is considerably bigger than the 4Runner, the 4Runner is a body on frame truck, it drives much truckier, less comfortable, etc.

If anybody is worried about "stomping on it" they wouldn't be looking at a Highlander (or an RX, but certainly not a Highlander). A Highlander is a family vehicle. Think of it basically like a minivan in the shape of an SUV...which is exactly what it is.

If I were buying a Toyota/Lexus SUV for my family vehicle, the only choice would be the Highlander. RX doesn't have a third row, and the RX-L the third row is unusable. 4Runner is too trucky and old, as is the Lexus GX, and the LX is too expensive.
Old 04-14-19, 03:04 PM
Getty
Driver School Candidate

I like how people keep going back to "drag racing" or "stomping on it"... as if normal people don't like cars that feel as if they have ample power. I see in your signature you have a Pacifica... I've driven a few of those as rentals... wouldn't you say it has ample power? Are you "stomping on it" or "drag racing"... or do you simply appreciate the feeling of "not wanting for acceleration"?... Or put another way, so no cars feel like "dogs" to you? (meaning, "slow") I love Pacifica's... I actually considered one, because again, it feels fun to drive (even though it's a mini-van).

Not saying that's a race car... but yeah... the Highlander isn't like that... at all. I don't care what anything says online... again... my message here isn't for the apparent Toyota stockholders that don't want criticism of a particular model... I'd like to help someone about to BUY a car. There's someone like me who will read this... and is being fooled into thinking the Highlander is going to be "peppy" or somehow satisfying to drive (like a more fun car, be it 4R or RX). Got a family or need to haul people? Sure... get the Highlander... No? Drive an RX and a Highlander and you tell me they FEEL even REMOTELY the same. I literally DARE you... (please watch that YouTube video... the Highlander ain't doing that, and I would know) otherwise, maybe $40K is nothing to you and you'll just buy a Highlander and assume it won't feel like a slow-dog driving it... it's your money. I did exactly that... and well... here's your chance to not make that mistake.

The Highlander is considerably bigger than a 4R? Highlander is almost the same size as a 4R, one is a couple inches taller, one is a couple inches longer; 193" L x 76" W x 68" H and between 4,200-4,500 lbs (model diff. etc) and the 4R is 191" L x 76" W x 72" H and between 4,400-4,800.

The difference is a 4R has a 100% Japanese 6, that's got a very smooth torque curve compared to the Highlander... without the hesitation that the Highlander has, i.e. a little gas = a little go... a lot of gas = a lot of go (JUST LIKE THE RX, but nowhere near the pull of an RX, but 4R still has more pull than a Highlander off the line)... The Highlander does NOT drive like that... again, how do I know? I spent my own money and found out the hard way. And for the vast difference in Highlander vs 4R... yes, definitely different, which is why I've said apples and oranges on those, but the comparison is often made online for shoppers... AND if you want a vehicle that's fun to drive (the point I'm beating to death here) the 4R is actually fun to drive. You don't have to be drag-racing to feel pep and appreciate it.

Nobody should be buying 4R that is not either KDSS or X-REAS. That's why your LX feels so nice in corners in spite of it's size. It has KDSS as standard. If someone is comparison shopping Highlander and 4R (Google says this is common, because people want a Toyota and look at the choices in a price-range)... well... don't drive a non-KDSS 4R (Limited has X-REAS which is also good, not as good as KDSS, but WAY better than no corner stability... and not as different as you think it would be vs Highlander).

Anyway... watch the YouTube video... and you own a Highlander... tell me that reminds you of driving your own Highlander. I DO own one... supposedly a "sport" version... and nope... it's nothing like that YouTube vid... but do you know what is? The RX I bought to replace it.

Last edited by Getty; 04-14-19 at 03:16 PM.
Old 04-14-19, 04:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I like how people keep going back to "drag racing" or "stomping on it"... as if normal people don't like cars that feel as if they have ample power. I see in your signature you have a Pacifica... I've driven a few of those as rentals... wouldn't you say it has ample power? Are you "stomping on it" or "drag racing"... or do you simply appreciate the feeling of "not wanting for acceleration"?... Or put another way, so no cars feel like "dogs" to you? (meaning, "slow") I love Pacifica's... I actually considered one, because again, it feels fun to drive (even though it's a mini-van).
Do I feel like the Pacifica has "ample power" yes. Is it fast or quick? Far from it and the transmission gearing is not very good which makes it hesitate to downshift, etc. IMHO the Sienna/Highlander has a much smoother powertrain with a better feel.

I've driven the Highlander several times, its never seemed slow or anything like that to me. Feels very similar to any other Toyota/Lexus product with that powertrain which makes sense.

I've driven plenty of cars that feel like dogs, but the Highlander isn't one of them. Makes me wonder if something is wrong with yours.

Not saying that's a race car... but yeah... the Highlander isn't like that... at all.
Its basically the same car, I've driven them as well as the RX many times, and they feel way more alike than they feel different. Again, that makes sense because its the same platform, same powertrain, much of the same suspension components.

The Highlander is considerably bigger than a 4R? Highlander is almost the same size as a 4R, one is a couple inches taller, one is a couple inches longer; 193" L x 76" W x 68" H and between 4,200-4,500 lbs (model diff. etc) and the 4R is 191" L x 76" W x 72" H and between 4,400-4,800.
Its much larger inside and has better passenger packaging. The greenhouse is also more upright which gives you more headroom. It also is not body on frame so the passenger compartment is lower to the ground giving you more room. Ergonomics are also much better in the Highlander. I'd never even consider a 4Runner for my needs.

The difference is a 4R has a 100% Japanese 6, that's got a very smooth torque curve compared to the Highlander.
Its the same engine. The difference is the 4 Runner is a longitudinal layout and RWD which has a different (better) feel than a transverse/FWD setup. The 4Runner has the 1GR-FE which is the RWD/4WD application, the Highlander (and the RX) use the 2GR-FKS

Nobody should be buying 4R that is not either KDSS or X-REAS. That's why your LX feels so nice in corners in spite of it's size. It has KDSS as standard. If someone is comparison shopping Highlander and 4R (Google says this is common, because people want a Toyota and look at the choices in a price-range)... well... don't drive a non-KDSS 4R (Limited has X-REAS which is also good, not as good as KDSS, but WAY better than no corner stability... and not as different as you think it would be vs Highlander).
I don't have an LX, I have an LS. The LX does not feel nice in corners, it feels huge and top heavy. The 4Runner is trucky and bouncy, totally different than the RX or the Highlander. I have no interest in a body on frame SUV.

Anyway... watch the YouTube video... and you own a Highlander... tell me that reminds you of driving your own Highlander. I DO own one... supposedly a "sport" version... and nope... it's nothing like that YouTube vid... but do you know what is? The RX I bought to replace it.
You can't tell anything from a video. I have driven both vehicles multiple times, I don't at all see the difference you're talking about. Neither vehicle is fast, its the same engine, same transmission. The RX has selectable sport modes which increase throttle response, perhaps comparing an RX in Sport mode vs a Highlander you'd have a sharper throttle response, but I don't see it.

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-14-19 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-14-19, 06:31 PM
Getty
Driver School Candidate

I’ve not only driven the Highlander several times, I’ve put 8K miles on the one I still own.

I also own own an RX.

I’m not going to keep debating reality with you. I OWN BOTH.

For anyone shopping; Caveat emptor.

Lot’s of opinions from people who own neither, few from those who’ve owned either, and VERY few from anyone who’s owned both.

About the 4R... zero comparison in KDSS and X-Reas vs “standard” which most 4R... are. KDSS is not “bouncy”... normal SR5 and ORT and ORP are. KDSS 4R and X-Reas corner closer to a Highlander. Saying it’s bouncy says you don’t actually know.

Now excuse use me while I go try to convince some dude an LS isn’t much different than an Avalon, instead of saying “go drive them and tell me they’re different” (which we know WOULD show the difference immediately... and while I realize there's a far greater difference in these two vehicles... what if the LS had a 6 instead of an 8, and NEW... it was only $8K more than an Avalon with FAR fewer luxuries? I'd be the first to back you up and say, "yeah man... drive them both, if you can swing it you want to spend this money"... I don't know... maybe it's just me. I find the Highlander insulting at a price that close to the RX... I feel cheated buying it.)

So hey there fellow car-shopper (I'm not shopping now, but pretty fresh)... drive both a Highlander and an RX... everyone who just says they’re similar isn’t your pal... it’s the most expensive $8K you’ll ever save. I don’t understand why people adamant about similarities don’t ALSO encourage test-drives... instead they just insist they know... for whatever reason. Go try them... prove me wrong, unless you can't really swing the extra $8K. My first impression of an RX was a few years ago... driving one of a coworker... and I was shocked at how powerful it felt... so was the other guy in the car. Nobody's ever said ***** riding my Highlander... and I'm TRYING to make it peppy.

Trust me... if it’s YOUR money, just see for yourself.

Last edited by Getty; 04-14-19 at 06:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone else deciding between highlander hybrid or RX350/450H?