RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Anyone get Lexus to order the hitch kit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-23, 05:33 AM
MacZulu
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Hitch reciever Draw Tite #76905

I tried searching the forum for this specific product and did not find it.
https://www.draw-tite.com/product/76...-trailer-hitch

The main body of the hitch receiver is mounted up and behind the bumper, you then lock in the 90 degree receiver part and attach your ball/bike rack/ cargo basket. It's out of stock everywhere and i have a couple emails out asking about availability dates.

Does anybody have any experience with this product?

I am also looking at a 4-7 pin adapter and bluetooth brake controller. Like these.

Pin adapter https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-...RT/C55774.html
Brake controller https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Bra...RT/C51180.html

This whole combo only makes sense if I can mount the adapter in a way that it and the brake controller can be mounted up and behind the bumper somewhere as well. If it is just mounted under the bumper the hidden hitch doesn't make a lot of sense. I would also consider just removing the 4-7 pin adapter and brake controller when I'm not towing a travel trailer and just reinstalling when I rarely need it (probably twice a summer)

The idea being, when not in use there is nothing visible or lowering the departure angle of the vehicle. That's my preference.

When we head out camping here in BC we have 4 options of highway, The Duffy heading past Whistler to Lillooet, which is very slow and winding 2 lane but not alot of major slopes. The #1Trans Canada, also mostly a 2 lane but not winding, and hill grades better than the #3 Crows Nest (Hope slide pretty big slope) or the #5 the Coquihalla also some pretty big hills.

I would be renting trailers in the 2500-3000lb range to avoid hitting the 3500lb limit. Legally trailer brakes are not required for <3500lbs, but coming down those grades with an extra 3000lbs on the RX brakes seems a little excessive.

That's my story. So my question to the community is, does anybody have any experience with any of these 3 products?
Old 04-22-23, 06:47 AM
MacZulu
10th Gear

So I don't know how to delete thread, but it's pointless. I've just looked under my RX and because its an L model with the spare mounted under there I will have to go with a Curt receiver that is shaped to fit the L model. Although I will still go with the BT brake controller set up.
Old 04-22-23, 07:00 AM
jrobe
Pit Crew

Received 116 Likes on 67 Posts

There is no chance that I would haul a trailer with that hitch. It adds a 90 degree angle downward stress point to the receiver. It only has a tongue weight capacity of 200 lbs of downward force because of that 90 degree angle design. That hitch is made for very light assessories like bike racks. If you stood on that hitch and jumped up and down you would be putting more than 200 lbs of downward force on it. I wouldn't even put a cargo box on it with anything more than a light cooler attached to it. I would be nervous with my wife's heavy ebike on it. That thing is dangerous with even a very light trailer.
Old 04-22-23, 07:29 AM
MacZulu
10th Gear

Originally Posted by jrobe
There is no chance that I would haul a trailer with that hitch. It adds a 90 degree angle downward stress point to the receiver. It only has a tongue weight capacity of 200 lbs of downward force because of that 90 degree angle design. That hitch is made for very light assessories like bike racks. If you stood on that hitch and jumped up and down you would be putting more than 200 lbs of downward force on it. I wouldn't even put a cargo box on it with anything more than a light cooler attached to it. I would be nervous with my wife's heavy ebike on it. That thing is dangerous with even a very light trailer.
Well it doesn't fit my model of RX, so I won't be using it anyways.

Does anybody know where to find the electrical hookup on the L model?

Looking underneath there is a plastic housing on both driver and passenger sides, but the passenger side looks like it has wiring going in there, where the drivers side doesn't.
Has anybody set up trailer electrical hook up on the L model? Dealer said my RX does have the trailer prep package.
Old 04-08-24, 07:43 PM
Dangerdaveoc
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Draw-Tite is my recommendation.

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
i've been doing research on this topic for quite some time and it seems due to the extra stabilized bar F Sport Handling pkg brings, there is no hitch out there that can fit this particular model without removing the bar. I've decided to go this route, remove the factory bar in order to install a hitch. Because tow hitch can also be served as a stronger stabilized bar. Now my question is whether to get the Lexus OEM (PT22848160) or any Curt hitch from etrailer. has anyone with this exact trim also gotten tow hitch installed? please share your opinions, thank you.
The Draw-Tite model seems to be the best solution from my marathon session reading thru this thread. It doesn't need any cutting of the rear valence/diffuser on the 2020 (or 2021) FSport and is much less expensive than the Lexus version. The Curt version in some of the installations above requires some trimming. If you are worried about warranty issues then find a Lexus dealer that will install their hitch and it might eliminate the warranty issue (but it might require cutting). How much of a real issue the warranty threat is is unknown because I haven't read a single incident where Lexus denied a warranty claim for removing the damper. I guess you could remove the hitch and put it back on if you had a warranty covered issue. Probably why the gentleman above keeps his in the garage (Make sure you keep the tow hitch as well because the damper attaches to it and it attaches to the frame)

This is also the plan I intend on following. Look up thread for the model number info on the Draw-Tite for the cleanest install and cheapest price with the least drawbacks. I even remember one guy using about a dozen washers to drop a Curt hitch lower to avoid cutting his car trim. He's only using it for a bike carrier but I would strongly advise against using that solution (look up thread). Buy the Draw-Tite instead. Etrailer is a helpful site for Curt and Draw-Tite hitches, accessories and installation advice/videos.

I hope I summed that up accurately and didn't upset anyone. This was my first time making a comment here and want everyone to know that this is probably the only place you will find this kind of info so thank you for all of you that contribute?
Old 04-08-24, 10:07 PM
Dangerdaveoc
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Draw-Tite additional info

Originally Posted by Dangerdaveoc
The Draw-Tite model seems to be the best solution from my marathon session reading thru this thread. It doesn't need any cutting of the rear valence/diffuser on the 2020 (or 2021) FSport and is much less expensive than the Lexus version. The Curt version in some of the installations above requires some trimming. If you are worried about warranty issues then find a Lexus dealer that will install their hitch and it might eliminate the warranty issue (but it might require cutting). How much of a real issue the warranty threat is is unknown because I haven't read a single incident where Lexus denied a warranty claim for removing the damper. I guess you could remove the hitch and put it back on if you had a warranty covered issue. Probably why the gentleman above keeps his in the garage (Make sure you keep the tow hitch as well because the damper attaches to it and it attaches to the frame)

This is also the plan I intend on following. Look up thread for the model number info on the Draw-Tite for the cleanest install and cheapest price with the least drawbacks. I even remember one guy using about a dozen washers to drop a Curt hitch lower to avoid cutting his car trim. He's only using it for a bike carrier but I would strongly advise against using that solution (look up thread). Buy the Draw-Tite instead. Etrailer is a helpful site for Curt and Draw-Tite hitches, accessories and installation advice/videos.

I hope I summed that up accurately and didn't upset anyone. This was my first time making a comment here and want everyone to know that this is probably the only place you will find this kind of info so thank you for all of you that contribute?

Draw-Tite Max-Frame Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class III - 2"

Item # 75540 From the Etrailer website: https://www.etrailer.com/p-75540.htm...hhmodel=RX+350

Customer that provided pic above states that no cutting was required for 2021 Lexus RX350 FSport. But I don't know if the same results stand for the non-Fsport, I think I saw one installed somewhere in the marathon thread. 2020-2022 should all be the same model/installation with the differences between the FSport and non-Fsport being the performance damper and the style of the rear fascia/bumper cover.

I think it looks good and about as close to a factory look as any could be. They also said they have an adaptor for the four pin light connector that makes it look even better. The one unknown I have is if my lighting connection will work of if I'll need to get an adaptor because I don't think mine has the towing package. The guy in the installation video says if you have the connector behind the driver side of the rear bumper cover then it'll work but I'm not so sure.
Old 04-09-24, 09:50 AM
bamalam
Advanced

Received 400 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Dangerdaveoc
I'm that guy. One slight correction to the description: I used washers to lower the Curt hitch to keep from making VISIBLE cuts to the bumper fascia. I still made a cut to the road surface-facing part of the fascia, but if I ever remove the hitch that cut will not be visible.

I regularly carry two bikes on the Curt hitch and the solution is still working well. Once a year I make sure the bolts are still torqued and the washers have not deteriorated; no issues so far and I don't expect any. As noted in the original post, I would not tow anything with this solution. It's perfectly functional for carrying a 20 lb gravel bike and a 25 lb mountain bike, though. The issue with the Draw-Tite hitch, or at least the one available when I needed a hitch, was the draw bar on it was much more visible. It was ugly. Perhaps a new Draw-Tite is available now.
Old Today, 07:27 AM
jm141414
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2022 Lexus rx350. I just bought a the curt hitch and modified the hitch, not the car. Jus cut an inch on some of the corners and ir fits fine and does not compermise the integrity of the hitch