RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Anyone get Lexus to order the hitch kit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-16, 01:50 PM
roadrider
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkbite
Our 450h is a 2016. The dealership actually had to order two bumper trims (same part number) with the hitch cutout, because the cutout for the first sample was not centered about the hitch. The second order was better manufactured and centered.

Disappointing quality control from a brand that likes to beat its chest about quality control, but all is good now.
My dealer did the same thing. Ordered a second trim piece, but it was just as off center as the first one. They said that there was nothing that could do about it and refused any more help. I agree, very disappointing quality control from what I was led to believe was a company that was very much into the attention to detail that it takes to be a luxury automobile auto maker.

They even refused my request to have someone in their shop trim the piece a little so that the hitch was centered in the cutout.....still refusal. I am not happy! FYI it is Lexus of Tacoma, WA
Old 08-11-16, 03:30 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by roadrider
My dealer did the same thing. Ordered a second trim piece, but it was just as off center as the first one. They said that there was nothing that could do about it and refused any more help. I agree, very disappointing quality control from what I was led to believe was a company that was very much into the attention to detail that it takes to be a luxury automobile auto maker.

They even refused my request to have someone in their shop trim the piece a little so that the hitch was centered in the cutout.....still refusal. I am not happy! FYI it is Lexus of Tacoma, WA
Lexus of Tacoma and Bellevue are owned by the same people and from my experience all their management cares about is making money.
Old 08-11-16, 08:10 PM
roadrider
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Star1k
Today installed Curt hitch (C13272) on my 2016 rx350 ( ordered from etailer and made them price match , there are a few websites which offer this part for less than 120 ). The whole thing ( including taking the pictures) took me about 15 minutes to install by myself . NO bumper cutting is required. The hitch looks nice.
Only one thing needed to be done - bend a heat shield a little bit so it will not touch nor hitch nor bumper ( picture 4)
Comparing with OEM hitch : quotes from lexus dealers were in 1000- 1300 range ( with parts and labor ) - to 114 i paid for curt and 30 minutes of my time.
that is awesome, looks good too. You are hired! I could have done mine too but didn't want to take the time to try to get it done before we needed it installed. my Lexus dealer just got the last penny they will get from me!
Old 08-12-16, 11:45 AM
Susoa
Driver School Candidate

Today installed Curt hitch (C13272) on my 2016 rx350 ( ordered from etailer and made them price match , there are a few websites which offer this part for less than 120 ). The whole thing ( including taking the pictures) took me about 15 minutes to install by myself . NO bumper cutting is required. The hitch looks nice.
Only one thing needed to be done - bend a heat shield a little bit so it will not touch nor hitch nor bumper ( picture 4)
Comparing with OEM hitch : quotes from lexus dealers were in 1000- 1300 range ( with parts and labor ) - to 114 i paid for curt and 30 minutes of my time.
The wiring is the hard part. Anyone found a solution to getting the factory plug to work?
Old 08-15-16, 08:05 AM
Star1k
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by roadrider
that is awesome, looks good too. You are hired! I could have done mine too but didn't want to take the time to try to get it done before we needed it installed. my Lexus dealer just got the last penny they will get from me!
thank you.
Old 08-15-16, 08:09 AM
Star1k
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Susoa
The wiring is the hard part. Anyone found a solution to getting the factory plug to work?
has not try yet , it seems one fuse is missing from panel .
Accormding lexus my car has not have tow prep pack ( even though it made in Canada )
how can I verify that ? It seems I have vents I both side of front wheels , there some pipes go to the buttom of main radiator from transmission - for it it looks like I have it. Could someone confirm?
Old 08-15-16, 08:44 AM
Susoa
Driver School Candidate

Accormding lexus my car has not have tow prep pack ( even though it made in Canada )
how can I verify that ? It seems I have vents I both side of front wheels , there some pipes go to the buttom of main radiator from transmission - for it it looks like I have it. Could someone confirm?
i would call the dealer/parts department and give them your vin. They can look it up. Mine is missing the fuse also so I tried one in the slot and nothing. I think we need a converter like the '15 RX but last I checked, they didn't make one for it.
Old 08-15-16, 06:58 PM
Star1k
Driver School Candidate

i would call the dealer/parts department and give them your vin. They can look it up. Mine is missing the fuse also so I tried one in the slot and nothing. I think we need a converter like the '15 RX but last I checked, they didn't make one for it.
Done that ( chat with Lexus online) - I don't have it.
But what makes it more interesting : in the manual it said if I don't have tow prep - I should not tow at all, but dealers had no problem to order a hitch and instal on my car using my vin ( even though it explicitly says in manual to the hitch that is should not to be installed on cars with no tow prep).
If someone can post wiring diagram for rx 350, or at least part for towing I can look it up.
From what I know( from Internet) : cars with tow pack come with converter , so I guess this converter already in the car and needs to be "activated" - when I removed basket on left side in the trunk - I saw another plastic box which has a few wires come to it - so I speculate that converter box might be it there. If I get a wiring diagram I can say for sure .
For now I'm not planning to tow - so it is not as important for me.
But if I needed to tow asap I would get 4 different color wires and connected them directly to left/ right blinker / stop and negative - so I would have at least that
Old 08-16-16, 05:31 AM
Susoa
Driver School Candidate

Done that ( chat with Lexus online) - I don't have it.
But what makes it more interesting : in the manual it said if I don't have tow prep - I should not tow at all, but dealers had no problem to order a hitch and instal on my car using my vin ( even though it explicitly says in manual to the hitch that is should not to be installed on cars with no tow prep).
If someone can post wiring diagram for rx 350, or at least part for towing I can look it up.
From what I know( from Internet) : cars with tow pack come with converter , so I guess this converter already in the car and needs to be "activated" - when I removed basket on left side in the trunk - I saw another plastic box which has a few wires come to it - so I speculate that converter box might be it there. If I get a wiring diagram I can say for sure .
For now I'm not planning to tow - so it is not as important for me.

But if I needed to tow asap I would get 4 different color wires and connected them directly to left/ right blinker / stop and negative - so I would have at least that
yep, the owners manual recommendation for not towing is interesting and I think it's more of a legal/limit exposure recommendation than an engineering rec because the total towing capacity in the manual (of the vehicle and trailer) is the same as with the tow prep model. They want you to have the extra cooling that the prep package offers so if you go cross country or in the mountains you would be ok.

As for the converter, I looked up a RX '15 converter online and it is a silver box that a wiring harness plugs into.

Old 08-16-16, 10:21 AM
Star1k
Driver School Candidate

yep, the owners manual recommendation for not towing is interesting and I think it's more of a legal/limit exposure recommendation than an engineering rec because the total towing capacity in the manual (of the vehicle and trailer) is the same as with the tow prep model. They want you to have the extra cooling that the prep package offers so if you go cross country or in the mountains you would be ok.

As for the converter, I looked up a RX '15 converter online and it is a silver box that a wiring harness plugs into.
i understand that, but I looked on my transmition- it does have two hoses coming out from it and the go to the buttom of radiator ( main engine radiator) - so I assume it does have cooling radiator for transmition- question - does all automatic transmition have some sort of radiator, or not?

When I mention "a box " I was referring to box to the left of spare tire with approx size 12x10x8 in - it has to be something in there , but what.
Old 08-17-16, 11:47 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 507 Likes on 363 Posts

All cars destined for Canada have the tow package. Being Made in Canada does not mean you have a tow package in USA. You must have ordered it with Tow Package in USA.

Tow package has a small radiator inside the front bumper, in front of driver side wheel. You can see it from inside the wheel well. It will also have a converter that is installed under luggage compartment covers.

You can buy that converter from the dealer as a tow package add-on, if your car does not have tow package. That will still not give you the Transmission / Engine cooler and HD alternator.
Old 08-17-16, 12:52 PM
Susoa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
All cars destined for Canada have the tow package. Being Made in Canada does not mean you have a tow package in USA. You must have ordered it with Tow Package in USA.

Tow package has a small radiator inside the front bumper, in front of driver side wheel. You can see it from inside the wheel well. It will also have a converter that is installed under luggage compartment covers.

You can buy that converter from the dealer as a tow package add-on, if your car does not have tow package. That will still not give you the Transmission / Engine cooler and HD alternator.
I'd like to buy the converter as an add on but I'm having a hard time locating the part or a dealer that has it. Can someone point me in the right direction?
Old 08-18-16, 07:10 AM
Star1k
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by toyotaman7

Valid point. thank you i think i should be more careful in my research, i just assumed i can tow at least light loads because it is SUV - wrong .
Old 08-19-16, 06:21 AM
lkleyman
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fsport Rear Damper

Can someone please point out where and what the rear damper looks like on an F-Sport? Photo, diagram, anything you got would be useful. Front would be great too if gou have it. Thanks.
Old 08-19-16, 07:49 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 507 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by lkleyman
Can someone please point out where and what the rear damper looks like on an F-Sport? Photo, diagram, anything you got would be useful. Front would be great too if gou have it. Thanks.
There is no damper on 2016 F-sport. Not sure why the usa lexus website says that.

The regular and f-sports have the same suspension layout, just different shocks, springs and stabilizer bar might also be stiffer.

Quick Reply: Anyone get Lexus to order the hitch kit?