RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Need recommendation for tire cables/chains

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-19, 04:50 PM
Scrutator
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I bought the Konig XG-12 Pro 255. I checked the fit on them and they were easy to install and appear unlikely to damage the wheels. Haven't used them in the snow yet.
Old 02-10-19, 07:52 AM
PersianGuy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autosocks

I found myself in this same situation, with the same 20” tire size. Went to two different Les Schwab tire centers and both told me they would recommend Auto Socks, due to the low profile need with having 20” tires. I have not used them yet but I believe there is a chance for damage by using chains with the 20” wheels on this vehicle so auto socks solves that problem.
Old 02-19-19, 06:27 PM
mkchung
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for your responses, everyone! I was viewing another thread that @norcal19rx created containing links to all the winter gear your car may need. I ended up getting the SZ435 Super Z6 Cable Tire Chain and had to use them this past weekend to get from Oakhearst to Fish Camp, CA. I am happy to report that they were super easy to put on (thanks to the video tutorial they have) and they didn't scratch my rims or ruin the suspension! Hope this helps you in your search for snow cables.
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (02-20-19)
Old 12-17-19, 12:13 PM
hz64
Driver School Candidate

Default Glacier snow chains 1046 for 20" RIM?

I have a set of Glacier snow chains purchased for my old RX:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004G7BQDS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1#HLCXComparisonWidget_feature_div https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004G7BQDS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1#HLCXComparisonWidget_feature_div

I'm expecting a new RX 450H with 20" RIM, and according to this page, it's 235/55R20: https://www.lexus.com/models/RX/specifications

Now, according to Glacier's web page, I cannot find this size in their chart: https://www.glacierchain.com/passeng...ing-chart.html. The closest I can find on that chart is 235/50R20, which fits my chains.

My question is whether I can use it on the new 20" tire? Or any other recommendations for snow chains?
Old 12-17-19, 04:12 PM
SilverFire
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Well chains are nice. BUT I recommend just Snow tires on Steel Rims with STUDS, that is all I have ever used. My area gets a lot of snow and ice storms, a light rain or mist that after a few hours the temperature drops to a -5 to -15 degrees Celsius turning the world into a skating rink. And with winter tires you always go smaller then the size that comes with the car, so like you my RX 350 came with 20's but ya drop down to 18's the profile will be very similar but less chance if you accidentally bottoming out or chewing the inside of your fender.

So for winter I have on my Lexus a set of Toyo 235/65R18 110T Observe G3-Ice Studded Tires. The Lexus's normally rolls with 18's it the packages that bump them up to a 20's.

Here is a little youtube video of the tires I have listed here.

Now as I said ya can go with steel rims, they aren't very pretty (usually flat black) but it saves you time and money every year switching them out. NOW if you have a few extra dollars to spend you can buy the RIMS i bought for my RX 350: 18" Alloy Wheel (5 Spoke) made by Lexus and I will quote you a small snippet off the Lexus site "The Lexus 18” silver alloy wheels have been specifically designed to equip your RX for winter driving while maintaining its prestigious appearance." And here is a picture of Lexus's winter rims (about $1240 CDN)

SOOOO!!! All of that is my recommendation on Tires, and rims, and studs and dealing with nasty winter conditions that have a lot of snow and ice. These turn my vehicle into a tank.
Old 12-18-19, 10:05 AM
hz64
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, but I live in California and the only time I might need snow chains is for ski trips. It's not practical to buy another set of tires I almost never use.
Old 07-05-21, 08:25 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Need 2 or 4 snow chains on RX350 AWD?

I know it’s an odd time of the season to ask this. But we are going to sequoia national park in august and was told there may be snow up there even in summer. Just in case we will bring a set of snow chain with us on the trip. Question now is do I need 2 or 4 on my AWD RX?
Old 07-05-21, 08:36 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 466 Likes on 355 Posts

Trade in your RX for a Jeep.
Old 07-05-21, 10:49 AM
PhxBill
Pit Crew

Received 86 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
I know it’s an odd time of the season to ask this. But we are going to sequoia national park in august and was told there may be snow up there even in summer. Just in case we will bring a set of snow chain with us on the trip. Question now is do I need 2 or 4 on my AWD RX?
I can practically guarantee you won’t need chains in August in Sequoia. Any snow would be very light and in higher elevations and if a few flakes hit the road they won’t accumulate. Unless there is a continuous depth of a couple of inches of packed snow, chains are bad for the car and bad for the road.
Old 07-05-21, 11:14 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PhxBill
I can practically guarantee you won’t need chains in August in Sequoia. Any snow would be very light and in higher elevations and if a few flakes hit the road they won’t accumulate. Unless there is a continuous depth of a couple of inches of packed snow, chains are bad for the car and bad for the road.
Thanks. Let’s say if I need one for future, should I get a pair or 2 pairs for all 4 tires?
Old 07-05-21, 11:35 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Thanks. Let’s say if I need one for future, should I get a pair or 2 pairs for all 4 tires?
You'll need them on All 4
Old 07-06-21, 09:49 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

It depends on the state. In Washington, chains are only required on the primary drive tires. Since power is delivered primarily through the front wheels, you'd only need one set for the front.

4 chains is for extreme conditions. If you're worried get some tire socks for the rear. If you're driving in extreme snow then get snow tires.
Old 07-06-21, 11:29 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by ericsan13
It depends on the state. In Washington, chains are only required on the primary drive tires. Since power is delivered primarily through the front wheels, you'd only need one set for the front.

4 chains is for extreme conditions. If you're worried get some tire socks for the rear. If you're driving in extreme snow then get snow tires.
This has nothing to do with conditions, but on AWD vehicles to put chains on only 2 tires is asking for driveline problems.
Old 07-07-21, 09:37 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocal
This has nothing to do with conditions, but on AWD vehicles to put chains on only 2 tires is asking for driveline problems.
Can you please elaborate? Even if the center diff is locked, on snowy roads where the non-chained axle can slip I don't see how this would cause driveline problems.
Old 07-07-21, 10:16 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Can you please elaborate? Even if the center diff is locked, on snowy roads where the non-chained axle can slip I don't see how this would cause driveline problems.
It has to do with the chains adding to the diameter of the wheel which should be the same or very close to on each wheel. Same as using tires with different tread depth, it will affect the AWD system.

Quick Reply: Need recommendation for tire cables/chains