RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Anybody else have this noise with their car? Chirping

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-15, 07:22 AM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Anybody else have this noise with their car? Chirping

When i drive from a dead stop and/or accelerate kind of hard between 2K RPM and 4K RPM, i hear a click/chirp which almost sounds like a bird chirp. Note, I can only hear this if your front windows are down and i'm driving down a quiet street. Also, the sound is occurs more often when the transmission is in Manual Mode and i'm in suburban/city driving.

I had a Lexus Service tech drive in the car with me and he heard the noise as well. I drove the car almost 200 miles over this weekend and noise is still there. Car is being dropped off at dealer today for them to look into it.

Can you guys try driving with your windows down at slow city speeds and see if you hear any "Chirps" while accelerating?

Last edited by skiracer; 12-07-15 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-07-15, 07:59 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Are you driving with the Brake Hold feature switched on?
Old 12-07-15, 08:22 AM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dchar
Are you driving with the Brake Hold feature switched on?
This feature is turned off...
Old 12-07-15, 10:39 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Couple questions:

1. Have you checked your oil level?
2. Does it do it more when the engine is cold or warm?
3. Does it chirp all the time? Will it chirp at idle?

From my own experience with engines, when you hear a chirp, its typically in the motor, and that chirp can be a sign of a lifter failure or a something failing in the valve train.

My recommendation is to check the oil. If you're low on oil, have the car towed to the dealer. If its normal on oil, drive it there yourself.

Keep in mind, I could be wrong (as you don't have a video), but a chirp is not something to let stick around.

Last edited by Swacer; 12-07-15 at 10:43 AM.
Old 12-07-15, 10:59 AM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Swacer
Couple questions:

1. Have you checked your oil level? Oil is half way between the min/max levels on dip stick.
2. Does it do it more when the engine is cold or warm? Warm
3. Does it chirp all the time? Will it chirp at idle? Only chirps when you accelerate from a dead stop or between 2000 and 4000 RPM

From my own experience with engines, when you hear a chirp, its typically in the motor, and that chirp can be a sign of a lifter failure or a something failing in the valve train.

My recommendation is to check the oil. If you're low on oil, have the car towed to the dealer. If its normal on oil, drive it there yourself.

Keep in mind, I could be wrong (as you don't have a video), but a chirp is not something to let stick around.
1. Oil is half way between the min/max levels on dip stick.
2. Warm
3. Only chirps when you accelerate from a dead stop or between 2000 and 4000 RPM. Makes no noise when idling. Doesnt' matter if the wheel is turned or straight...
Old 12-07-15, 11:04 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Has the oil been there the entire time you've had the car, or has it decreased?

When you say warm, have you been outside the car watching it idle when its cold? Like legit stood out there and walked around listening?

Have you rev'd the car while its sitting in park and been able to recreate it? By doing that, you're separating the motor from the drivetrain to narrow it down.

I would also suggest that you open the hood and have someone look at the pulleys when you rev, this could also be as simple as an overtightened belt.

Last edited by Swacer; 12-07-15 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-10-15, 09:51 PM
Molotov411
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just recently heard this noise on my RX this evening. Im at 320 miles only. So far I heard this chirping sound from a dead stop and when i accelerate. How did you explain this sound to the dealer when you brought this to them?
Old 12-10-15, 10:29 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Molotov411
I just recently heard this noise on my RX this evening. Im at 320 miles only. So far I heard this chirping sound from a dead stop and when i accelerate. How did you explain this sound to the dealer when you brought this to them?
I had a dealer tech drive in the car with me and heard the noise. So, i left the car at the dealership (i'm officially the first '16 RX 350 in for service at this dealer!) and got a loaner. Next day, shop foreman took my car out for a spin and in conjunction speaking with Lexus, they found the noise coming from my brake pads. Something to do with the retaining clips... Lexus is already aware that some cars might have this noise, but they have no fix for it and it should go away with time.

Well, after i took my car for a small road trip from LA to San Diego, the noise went away

SUV now has about 600 miles on the odometer

Last edited by skiracer; 12-10-15 at 11:27 PM.
Old 12-11-15, 06:17 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

That's awesome that it was simplistic like that!
Old 12-03-18, 04:21 PM
antoniusR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bird Chirping Sound from the Engine

Do you guys ever experience that the machine is producing high note pitch sound when you have gone for a few miles or when the engine is already warm? I have taken twice to Lexus Service but they said there is nothing wrong with the engine there is only mechanical fuel pump sound. But for me it seems not normal as before this I owned a ES 350 which has the same machine and it doesn’t produce that wierd sound. Here is below the video of wierd sound that I got.
Attached Files
Old 12-03-18, 04:51 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe I'm not hearing the "bird chirping sound" in that clip, but such noises are often associated with a squeaky belt, common on startup - esp. with the AC compressor running, but occurring at other times as well. An old mechanic's trick is to take a sliver of bar soap and touch it lightly to the inside of the belt while the engine is running (the "V" surfaces of a v-belt, the inside of a serpentine belt) and see if that eliminates the problem. Be extremely careful doing this - don't get your fingers in the belt path, where they can be caught up. (Your friends will be calling you "Lefty" if you're not careful . . . but on the upside, you may find it easier to order two fingers of scotch.)

If the soap stops the squeak, you're in good shape, but for a more permanent fix, get a small can of "belt dressing" from your hardware or auto supply store and follow label directions for its application.
Old 12-04-18, 11:12 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 154 Likes on 123 Posts

It does have that squeaking belt sound - actually sounds like a sewing machine.