RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Lexus Safety System+ (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-16, 02:25 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by StatCoder
Thanks for this interesting thread. I'm looking for real-world info on how Toyota Safety Sense P will work on the 2017 Highlander since there hasn't been any announcements other than that this will be a standard package on all trims. LDA is a listed feature along with "steering assist" but no mention of Lane Centering. These seem like exciting features, especially, since they are going to come standard. It seems that few people have actually used experienced them, though.
Lane centering never tells you it's centering. It just does it by itself.

IT's weird. It's always putting me near the middle and I can feel it slightly moving. When I get close to the lane a blue light appears and then it actually moves me back into the lane.

Not the best like Tesla or Mercedes but it's a start.
Old 06-29-16, 03:27 PM
StatCoder
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
Lane centering never tells you it's centering. It just does it by itself.

IT's weird. It's always putting me near the middle and I can feel it slightly moving. When I get close to the lane a blue light appears and then it actually moves me back into the lane.

Not the best like Tesla or Mercedes but it's a start.
So Lane Keep Assist (centering) is included in the Lexus Safety System along with LDA and Steering Assist but is not part of the Toyota Safety Sense system. Perhaps it's considered more of a luxury-oriented gizmo rather than an actual safety feature that they are making standard across all trims.
Old 06-29-16, 06:55 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by StatCoder
So Lane Keep Assist (centering) is included in the Lexus Safety System along with LDA and Steering Assist but is not part of the Toyota Safety Sense system. Perhaps it's considered more of a luxury-oriented gizmo rather than an actual safety feature that they are making standard across all trims.
Varies by the model. Prius, avalon, and RAV 4 all include
Lane Departure Alert 4 with Steering Assist
If the system senses that your vehicle is deviating from its lane, it will provide an audible and visual alert, and even help you stay in your lane by applying small amounts of counter-steering force.
Recently redone LC however just has LDA.
Old 10-23-16, 08:20 PM
dparkmit
Driver School Candidate

Default How good is Lexus' Safety System+?

My family has had a GX 470 for last 10 years. Although we loved the GX 470, it's now time to replace it. We're considering RX 350 vs. MB GLE. Here is a question that will help us make a decision. How good is the Lexus Safety System+?

The salesperson at MB dealership told me that the big advantage for the GLE is safety and touted the fact that MB has a collision detect system that automatically brakes the car and can even bring car to a complete stop if car gets close to colliding into another car in the front. Does the Lexus RX 350 have similar safety features? I saw that there's Smart Stop technology. But the description on the Lexus website http://www.lexus.com/models/RX/safety wasn't too clear.
Old 10-23-16, 08:37 PM
Signal_jp
Lead Lap

I have a 2017 Audi Q7 with driver assist package and a 2016 rx350 with safety system. I would say my Q7 has the best safety technology out there.

do some research and you'll see that the Audi tech is ahead of the other luxury SUV's
Old 10-23-16, 09:14 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

If you want the best outhere in SEMI-Autonomous tech nothing beats a tesla with the development and OTA cycle. Everyone else is basically playing second fiddle. The GLE, Q7, RX, XC90, and others are basically playing with the same tech but presenting the customer different human machine interface. The limitations of each system are basically almost identical. The bouncing between lanes, the weather limitation, and once you buy that particular iteration of the system that is all you will be getting until you purchase a new model

I`d say if anything, if your in no hurry to migrate into a new vehicle wait till the GX gets a refresh and just get into one of those with possibly the same LSS system you get with the RX
Old 10-23-16, 10:07 PM
s2000zr
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the Lexus safety system is junk. I tried to test it out on my 2017 450h. I can come three feet away from hitting the car in front and the Lexus does nothing. By then I have to slam on the brakes.

Btw the settings is on the most sensitive.

Let's not talk about the lane keep assistance. The car would be in the middle of the white lane before it would correct itself.

Last edited by s2000zr; 10-23-16 at 10:11 PM.
Old 10-24-16, 07:34 AM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default lexus safety system

Some of you must not have it set up correctly ( the PCS and LKA) . I just returned from a 3000 mile trip and it worked great. It braked correctly. I could take my hands from the steering wheel and it would keep the car in the proper lane. 90% of my driving was on I-95. I keep the PCS set on the medium distance setting. I virtually never touched the brake or the accelerator. You have to activate the LKA and lane centering. It does not just do it on its own.
Old 10-24-16, 12:33 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by dparkmit
My family has had a GX 470 for last 10 years. Although we loved the GX 470, it's now time to replace it. We're considering RX 350 vs. MB GLE. Here is a question that will help us make a decision. How good is the Lexus Safety System+?

The salesperson at MB dealership told me that the big advantage for the GLE is safety and touted the fact that MB has a collision detect system that automatically brakes the car and can even bring car to a complete stop if car gets close to colliding into another car in the front. Does the Lexus RX 350 have similar safety features? I saw that there's Smart Stop technology. But the description on the Lexus website http://www.lexus.com/models/RX/safety wasn't too clear.
Don't expect either the Mercedes or Lexus system to do all the driving for you. LSS+ is best for straight lane clearly marked roads. It will automatically brake for pedestrians and cars to prevent collision but I have never had that encounter.

When I test drove the GLE, the automated cruise control didn't even work. I got a warning that the front sensor was dirty even though they had just washed the car. Definitely wasn't impressed by that and the dated interior.
Old 10-24-16, 01:49 PM
adambomb6
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dparkmit

It looks like this type of stuff is becoming very popular, many cars have it now and it looks like to me the 2017 RX has it std (it was a pretty low cost option in 2016). All of the LSS+ options are great, but the precollision will wait till the last second and them mash the brakes fully (so its very hard to "try out" on your own, which is why the video from the dealer below is a good one to view). I've had my rx350 for about 6 months now and its a great car. I've never had the precollision kick on and hope I never will.

This one gives a good overview of everything

another overview

Pre Collision avoidance - this was posted on here before, its a great video shot at a lexus dealership somewhere. One key note, it will stop within inches of the car, this is a "last resort", it tries to warn you with beeping before doing anything.

Smart Stop - this just seems to be if you mash brake and accelerator at same time it will still brake
Old 10-25-16, 03:20 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 496 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000zr
I think the Lexus safety system is junk. I tried to test it out on my 2017 450h. I can come three feet away from hitting the car in front and the Lexus does nothing. By then I have to slam on the brakes.

Btw the settings is on the most sensitive.

Let's not talk about the lane keep assistance. The car would be in the middle of the white lane before it would correct itself.

Not junk on my LX. Had a car pull in front of me and slam on his brakes to make a turn and before I could even remove my foot from the gas pedal my LX killed the gas pedal and went into emergency brake mode stopping well before hitting the offending vehicle. I can testify that it worked for me.

Never use the lane assistance but the braking system works quite well despite your tests.
The following users liked this post:
Kansas (12-23-16)
Old 12-23-16, 01:42 PM
salesagent
Driver School Candidate

Default front end collision warning

I would just like to know if anyone has this option in their RX350 and ever had this option work for them?
And what i mean is ,has the car ever brought them to a stop to avoid a front end collision.
I just don't see this working on mine. The only thing i get is the big red braking sign and beeping sound.
Old 12-23-16, 03:01 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by salesagent
I would just like to know if anyone has this option in their RX350 and ever had this option work for them?
And what i mean is ,has the car ever brought them to a stop to avoid a front end collision.
I just don't see this working on mine. The only thing i get is the big red braking sign and beeping sound.
It's difficult to do something like that without it actually happening. I've gotten the brake sign MANY times because sometimes I drive a little too aggressively so I accelerate to the next lane while close to the vehicle in front of me.

There are videos of it being done. If you really want to try it, try putting your trash can in front of the car and add layers and layers of blankets and see what happens haha.
Old 12-23-16, 03:09 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 504 Likes on 362 Posts

Yes, I have tested it on mine. It locks up the brakes in the last second.
Old 12-23-16, 05:43 PM
salesagent
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
Yes, I have tested it on mine. It locks up the brakes in the last second.
how did you test it?

Quick Reply: Lexus Safety System+ (merged threads)