RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Regular or Premium Gasoline Required?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-15, 12:09 PM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by sderman
The Lexus-quoted compresion ratio for the RX-350 and the hybrid is 11.8:1 and 13:1, respectively. Even 11.8 sounds pretty high.
A new-generation highly-efficient direct-injection gasoline engine that achieves the world's highest gasoline engine compression ratio of 14.0:1

and it doesn't require premium

http://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/t...iv/skyactiv-g/
Old 11-25-15, 02:00 PM
hon3kong
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am gonna fill up the tank tomorrow for the 1st time. Gonna go with shell regular. Gotta take advantage that it takes regular. Even at the press conference at ny auto show, he said that the engine is tune to use regular gas. Its 50 to 60 cents different in nyc between regular and premium. Thats about 20 something % cheaper by using regular. We all know we can afford the premium if we driving a lexus. But i look at it this way, i treated the 20% i saved for 20% gain on mpg
Old 11-25-15, 02:11 PM
sderman
Advanced

Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by hon3kong
I am gonna fill up the tank tomorrow for the 1st time. Gonna go with shell regular. Gotta take advantage that it takes regular. Even at the press conference at ny auto show, he said that the engine is tune to use regular gas. Its 50 to 60 cents different in nyc between regular and premium. Thats about 20 something % cheaper by using regular. We all know we can afford the premium if we driving a lexus. But i look at it this way, i treated the 20% i saved for 20% gain on mpg
I assume that the 2016 RX350 Lexus owners manual suggesting regular gasoline reads the same as my manual for the 2014 ES. That is, to buy only from a "Top Tier" retailer, which includes Shell (and Costco). Here is the link: http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers/
Old 11-25-15, 04:12 PM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hon3kong
If it rated good for regular than of course go for regular, you won't notice any difference with premium LOL I'm still stuck with Premium
Old 11-26-15, 03:53 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ybing
If it rated good for regular than of course go for regular, you won't notice any difference with premium LOL I'm still stuck with Premium
Enjoy you new Lexus!
Old 11-26-15, 09:14 AM
kenforum
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone who has an owner manual of the RX350 can confirm that it takes the regular gas? I would like to confirm it from the owner manual. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-26-15, 10:24 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by kenforum
Does anyone who has an owner manual of the RX350 can confirm that it takes the regular gas? I would like to confirm it from the owner manual. Thanks in advance!
Yes, it only requires regular. The last-gen RX350 also only required regular.
Old 11-26-15, 01:17 PM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kenforum
Like the above said, regular for sure.
Old 11-26-15, 02:41 PM
hon3kong
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So i filled up my tank on shell's regular. I ran the car until the 'range' to 9 miles before empty. I believe the capacity of the gas tank is 19 something gallon. But i was only able to fill up 14 point something gallon before the pump stopped. Anyway, i took a pic on the gas cap, it doesn't have any label require premium. compare to my other car and it has a label.

2016 RX 350

my other car has a premium only label
The following users liked this post:
BeamerDude (01-28-23)
Old 11-26-15, 04:33 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I dont understand why people who can afford a car thats 55k plus and cheap out over 60 cents premium of using premium gas. Ive have friends who drives the LX 570 that gets only 14 mpg complain about not being able to use regular. He paid cash for his car so you know he has money. It really makes me scratch my head. People who are worried about this issue should really be driving a Prius or something seriously.
Old 11-26-15, 05:04 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

There is a BIG difference in not being able to afford something, and not wanting to spend the money on something if it's not necessary.

That philosophy is how a lot of people are able to afford these expensive vehicles as well as other things.
Old 11-26-15, 10:34 PM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

There is always around 2 gallon of "reserve" fuel in the tank, so even when your trip computer show 0 mile, you still have 2 more gallon ish of range, but don't suggest you push that far, it may end up dry
Old 11-27-15, 02:52 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
I dont understand why people who can afford a car thats 55k plus and cheap out over 60 cents premium of using premium gas. Ive have friends who drives the LX 570 that gets only 14 mpg complain about not being able to use regular. He paid cash for his car so you know he has money. It really makes me scratch my head. People who are worried about this issue should really be driving a Prius or something seriously.
It is not about being able to afford the gas, it is that I consider it throwing your money away. I have owned a LX and ran regular gas in it the whole time and no harm resulted. Like I said in another post, this is like a religious thing and everyone should do what they want. When premium was on twenty cents over regular, I could see the extra horsepower or two maybe helping but not with premium being so much more than what regular is.

Use what you want but I find if "awkward" that Lexus requires premium in it hybrid while it requires regular for the 350. Surely an oil company loves you!
Old 11-27-15, 04:23 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

For me instead of pinching pennys to save money. I use that time to make connections with other business to spread my products and promote sales which nets me much more money then a few dollars at the pump. So for me time is money. I might spend more money at the pump buying premium but....i dont worry about such things and use that time worrying about other important things in my life. Again if I worry about Premium Versus Regular id just buy a Toyota or a Honda and be done with it. Still dont understand why people who buys these cars complain about this it gets old. I see it in every New luxury car forum that comes out that uses premium gas. Funny thing is at least i have not yet seen someone with A ferrari or Lambo complain about it but then again people are strange.

A business man walks down a street and sees a 100 dollar bill on the ground but keeps on walking. His assistant asks why didnt you pick that up? The business man said "By the time I spend bending over and picking it up, one swipe of my finger on my ipad can make me $1000 or more."

But i guess you guys prefer this:
A penny saved is a penny earned.

I prefer to be that business man and make much more money than i can ever make saving money at the pump my entire life.
Old 11-27-15, 05:35 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
For me instead of pinching pennys to save money. I use that time to make connections with other business to spread my products and promote sales which nets me much more money then a few dollars at the pump. So for me time is money. I might spend more money at the pump buying premium but....i dont worry about such things and use that time worrying about other important things in my life. Again if I worry about Premium Versus Regular id just buy a Toyota or a Honda and be done with it. Still dont understand why people who buys these cars complain about this it gets old. I see it in every New luxury car forum that comes out that uses premium gas. Funny thing is at least i have not yet seen someone with A ferrari or Lambo complain about it but then again people are strange.

A business man walks down a street and sees a 100 dollar bill on the ground but keeps on walking. His assistant asks why didnt you pick that up? The business man said "By the time I spend bending over and picking it up, one swipe of my finger on my ipad can make me $1000 or more."

But i guess you guys prefer this:
A penny saved is a penny earned.

I prefer to be that business man and make much more money than i can ever make saving money at the pump my entire life.
Like I said this has been argued to death and each has to make their own choices. You have made yours. Happy Thanksgiving!

Quick Reply: Regular or Premium Gasoline Required?