RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

4RX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-16, 01:45 PM
SFocLA
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This may have been said already but here is a short list so far having the car a couple of weeks. I am comparing this to my experience with Audi Q5, Mercedes Benz GLE350 (ML)

I have the F sport MSRP $57k

Good-
1. parking cameras, front, back, & bird's eye view is insanely helpful
2. remote control can close trunk/lift gate
3. exterior and interior lighting around the door handles and inside door handles are a nice touch
4. the whole gps display (if you got the larger screen) is huge!! lot larger than my audi and MB.
5. auto cooling and heating in the seats is nice

Nothing terrible, small things I wish was improved but car is amazing overall. (correct me if I am wrong)
1. phone slot is tiny, iphone 6 does not fit
2. no option to control temp in the back seat (did not get heated seat seat option but still)
3. I wish the start button was in the center consule like my Audi Q5, nothing crazy but what would have been better
Old 01-04-16, 02:15 PM
mklemovitc
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SFocLA
1. phone slot is tiny, iphone 6 does not fit
I got out to scope out the new RX at a local dealer this weekend and was put off by that one.

The iPhone 6 is about the most common phone in the US and it's too big - even without a case. What were the designers thinking?
Old 01-04-16, 02:37 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by mklemovitc
I got out to scope out the new RX at a local dealer this weekend and was put off by that one.

The iPhone 6 is about the most common phone in the US and it's too big - even without a case. What were the designers thinking?
The car was designed and finalized when phones were smaller, like the iPhone 4 and 5. There are other places to put your phone. I feel like if I used that compartment, I would be returning to the car many times to get my phone.
Old 01-04-16, 04:34 PM
SFocLA
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

More cons as I just posted in my other thread

Bad

- can not install tow hitch if your car does not have the tow hitch prep package " The tow prep package is factory installed that has an extra radiator coolant for your transmission to prevent from overheating when towing and to plug in the brake light for the trailer." Since I just need the hitch for a bike rack I think I still have a chance of installing one.

- panoramic sunroof- roof rails do not allow factory cross bars

- f sport does not fit factory mud flaps

Last edited by SFocLA; 01-04-16 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-04-16, 04:37 PM
cmartinez
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This was a disappointment. Neither of our phones fit in there. We noticed this during the test drive but it was not a deal breaker for my wife and me. That space is where I'll keep my gum and chapstick, lol.
Old 01-04-16, 04:41 PM
hkbruin2
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bad

- can not install tow hitch if your car does not have the tow hitch prep package " The tow prep package is factory installed that has an extra radiator coolant for your transmission to prevent from overheating when towing and to plug in the brake light for the trailer." Since I just need the hitch for a bike rack I think I still have a chance of installing one.

Thanks for the info!
Old 01-04-16, 06:58 PM
Pfizer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad

Are you sure F sport doesn't fit factory mud flaps? I saw a video on YouTube where it shows a F sport with mud flaps from factory.
Old 01-04-16, 07:10 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

Bad

Oh shoot! really about the mud flaps??

I just preorded the F sport and the salesman added the mud flaps so we will see.
Old 01-04-16, 10:22 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Bad

That's not true. Here in the UK, we have a protection package which fits mud flaps, rubber mats and rear boot liner from factory for the F sport
Old 01-05-16, 08:18 AM
Lubber
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use this to keep my prescription eye glasses I use for driving at night as the glasses holder near the sunroof holds my prescription sunglasses.

I agree with another poster on the location of the start button for being a small inconvenience. Adding to that for me would be the steering wheel heater only heating the sides of the steering wheel and while on that subject, I wish the wood on the steering wheel matched the brown wood on the console and doors.
Old 01-05-16, 12:38 PM
mklemovitc
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
The car was designed and finalized when phones were smaller, like the iPhone 4 and 5. There are other places to put your phone. I feel like if I used that compartment, I would be returning to the car many times to get my phone.
It looks like they finalized those dimensions based on the iPhone 5S or earlier (4" diagonal) - prior to the iPhone 6 (4.7" diagonal) which was released in October 2014.

Yes, it would be easy to forget the phone is tucked away in there; but it would still be nice to have someplace better to store the phone while it's charging than setting it in one of the cupholders.
Old 01-05-16, 06:00 PM
Lubber
Rookie

It looks like they finalized those dimensions based on the iPhone 5S or earlier (4" diagonal) - prior to the iPhone 6 (4.7" diagonal) which was released in October 2014.

Yes, it would be easy to forget the phone is tucked away in there; but it would still be nice to have someplace better to store the phone while it's charging than setting it in one of the cupholders.
I put mine in the cubby where the wireless charger goes. It's a Note4 and has plenty of room to charge there since there is a power outlet there as well.
Old 01-05-16, 06:14 PM
macdee
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Lubber
I use this to keep my prescription eye glasses I use for driving at night as the glasses holder near the sunroof holds my prescription sunglasses..
I use mine to temporarily put plastic bottle caps there Used to put these into (upper/small) driver's door pocket on 3RX, but now there's a much better place! Luxury style!

Whee!…*but seriously, even if it was sized for bigger phones, I'm not really sure I would've used it as Lexus designers were (supposedly) planning. I tend to check my phone while waiting for the street lights etc, and would hate to have to open that box every time.

Still, nice to have an additional storage location, whatever size it is.
Old 01-06-16, 09:42 AM
joe311
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While listening to the radio station and hear a song on the radio, you can rewind and listen to it again. I never knew that was even possible. There's a arrow in the middle next to the station name / artist name and when you click on it and push rewind and it goes back 2 minutes of what you were listening to. So if you want to hear that favorite song again you can go back. It will delete its memory when you switch stations though. but still cool
Old 01-06-16, 09:58 AM
Talys1767
Driver School Candidate

Don't know why so much obsession over the storage slot designed for the phone. Even for a phone that fits, it's a errible spot, because it's... closed. There is a huge cubby hole in front of the cupholder, where you can put a phone of practically any size. And it has a wireless charger.

Just use the little slot in the storage console for something else, like loyalty cards, roadside assistance card, etc.

Quick Reply: 4RX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)