RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

4RX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-18, 10:51 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,570 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Originally Posted by PeeVee
Drove Montreal-Boston and back this weekend and discovered by mistake:

Luxury model non F-Sport, the middle TFT screen when put in the navigation menu where it shows the compass when I was using the navigation, another pane is made available by clicking on the down arrow.
This pane shows the current street/road, distance to the next exit/turn (decreases in real time), direction of the turn/exit (that is also shown on the top right of the large screen) and which next street/road to take.

Having the exit number (sometimes having number followed by A-B-C) is useful since it is not always obvious which one. I liked to keep it on the screen since it prepared me better to execute the turn than being notified sometimes 5 seconds before and miss it.
Yep - I use that one frequently.
Old 03-28-18, 04:37 PM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by shq
Well mine doesn't stop fully, at about 30km/h it disables radar cruise control, beeps and shows a message to apply the brakes. I'm wondering if there is some sort of software update that would enable the future? Or perhaps they added it for 2017 model year? Is yours 2017?
I believe I have read somewhere what you have experienced is a Canadian thing (?) Canada doesn't allow all speed CC, I think.
Old 03-28-18, 04:43 PM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Originally Posted by shq
Is this correct for 2016 model year as well? My Canadian 2016 doesn't do it.
See my other comment. It could be that Canada doesn't allow all speed CC (?)
Old 03-28-18, 04:59 PM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Originally Posted by guxu
However, if you start with the headlights/DRL off at night, it will never remind you.
The instrument panel doesn't have a way to tell me if my DRL is off or on (?) I have to look at the control stick to see if it is in the "off" or "auto" position. This is a more difficult task for some drivers with less than perfect eye sight than one may think especially while driving.
Old 03-28-18, 06:09 PM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by ut2sua
The instrument panel doesn't have a way to tell me if my DRL is off or on (?) I have to look at the control stick to see if it is in the "off" or "auto" position. This is a more difficult task for some drivers with less than perfect eye sight than one may think especially while driving.
leave it on auto, problem solved.
​​​​​​I haven’t turned on headlights since the late 90s or before. Lol. Always on auto.
The following 2 users liked this post by JSracer:
mikemu30 (03-29-18), Oldfart (03-29-18)
Old 03-28-18, 08:37 PM
shq
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ut2sua
I believe I have read somewhere what you have experienced is a Canadian thing (?) Canada doesn't allow all speed CC, I think.
Thanks ut2sua, I think it is more like year (2016) than location (Canada) thingy. Oh well gotta live with it.
Old 03-29-18, 07:16 AM
Trap
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a storage compartment on the side of the console, near the front passenger's thigh. It's not in sight of the driver, and I never noticed it.
Old 03-29-18, 01:29 PM
guxu
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

The factory NAV tries to be smart when the destination is between 2 streets. More than once, it took me to the back of the buildings, even I never entered that street as the destination, since it believed it was closer. Sometimes it was OK, other than a little confusing. But one time it announced we had reached the destination while we were still on highway because the hotel I booked was next to the highway.
Old 03-30-18, 08:53 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by guxu
The factory NAV tries to be smart when the destination is between 2 streets. More than once, it took me to the back of the buildings, even I never entered that street as the destination, since it believed it was closer. Sometimes it was OK, other than a little confusing. But one time it announced we had reached the destination while we were still on highway because the hotel I booked was next to the highway.
It tried to make me take a one way in the opposite direction a couple of time.
Old 03-30-18, 11:58 AM
enjens
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confusing Nav

Originally Posted by PeeVee
It tried to make me take a one way in the opposite direction a couple of time.
Took a drive from Sunshine coast to Gold coast in our new RX---the nav took us on a complicated route that made no sense and we found some of the commands confusing, our previous three nav systems were much better than the Lexus. Ours doesn't have voice command which is a negative.
Old 03-30-18, 03:17 PM
sacksteder
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Cool accessory.
Good idea. I ordered a similar one that was $22.
Amazon Amazon
Old 04-02-18, 05:27 AM
chunktwo
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by chunktwo
hmmm... this may be it.. ill have to look into this - she normally has her keys in her bookbag... and i have mine in my pocket. and i always seem to be ready to go before she has even finished unbuckling her seatbelt.
ill have to test it so that only one set of keys are near the car. I never even thought about that.
i never looked at the guage cluster to see - i normally open the door and pop right out of the car.

for the person that asked - The BEEPING i have experienced is always/only when the car is completely turned off.

Thank you
update - the beeping is still happening even though there is only a single key within range of the car (i.e., wife's keys were confirmed to not be in her bag/car)
-the headlight switch is on AUTO
-no interiors lights are on
-no windows are open
-does not occur if passenger door is opened first then the driver side door
-does not occur if any other door (except driver door) is opened first.

this is an aside - Is there a spare key or valet key that comes with the car right that may have been left in the vehicle by the dealer without me knowing?
we received two "master" keys (the FOB that has the key that can slide out) - made me wonder if there is a spare key in the car that the dealer left there that i didn't know about. the reason i ask is my 2005 IS300 came with two master keys, a valet key and a wallet key (this was the last brand new car we bought so i am not sure if this is still the norm)
Old 04-02-18, 11:06 AM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chunktwo
update - the beeping is still happening even though there is only a single key within range of the car (i.e., wife's keys were confirmed to not be in her bag/car)
-the headlight switch is on AUTO
-no interiors lights are on
-no windows are open
-does not occur if passenger door is opened first then the driver side door
-does not occur if any other door (except driver door) is opened first.

this is an aside - Is there a spare key or valet key that comes with the car right that may have been left in the vehicle by the dealer without me knowing?
we received two "master" keys (the FOB that has the key that can slide out) - made me wonder if there is a spare key in the car that the dealer left there that i didn't know about. the reason i ask is my 2005 IS300 came with two master keys, a valet key and a wallet key (this was the last brand new car we bought so i am not sure if this is still the norm)
There is no extra keys other than the 2 master keys. The valet keys were built in as part of the master keys (mechanical key remove = valet key)
Old 04-02-18, 02:30 PM
Hubs
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

If a car is approaching at a much faster speed on your left or right, the blindspot indicator will flash even if your turn signal is not activated.
Old 04-03-18, 10:55 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 117 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Hubs
If a car is approaching at a much faster speed on your left or right, the blindspot indicator will flash even if your turn signal is not activated.
I dont think that's true. Unless they changed it from the 2016.

You can set the sensitivity so the light will light up at a much earlier time if a car in the next lane is going at a high rate of speed behind you. But unless you turn your blinkers on it won't flash.

Quick Reply: 4RX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)