RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

4RX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-16, 06:55 AM
billh556
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Talys1767
Every single car that I've ever owned has had quirks here or there that drive me nuts. On the 450RX, the one thing that drives me crazy the most is that the audio volume (radio or media) is not lowered when the GPS is giving directions. Instead, the GPS has her own volume, and simply talks over the ambient audio -- so if you have music turned up, it's impossible to hear her. This is actually the first car with built-in GPS I've owned with this behavior.

Regarding the USB media playback order -- I had the same problem with the Infiniti (using Compact Flash). I believe that it's the order the files and folders are loaded onto the media. To get mine ordered the way I wanted, manually created the file folders, then went to each file folder and dragged each file in the sequence that I wanted it. On both the Infiniti FX50S and the Lexus RX450H, this gave me songs and folders in the correct order

A strange quirk: sometimes, but not often, on the RX, the USB media goes back to Folder 1 / Title 1. I have no idea why, as I can normally switch between audio sources, and it continues on from where I left USB. My solution is to have my favorite folder as the first one. But what it kind of kills is audio books that aren't divided into small sections.

A further strange quirk as to the audio system that I really don't like: If you press the DOWN arrow on the steering wheel, it goes from track 3 to start of 3, then 2, then 1. On the track title list, this is actually going up the list (as it's listed 1, 2, 3). However, when you go to the satellite radio and you press down, it goes from preprogrammed station #4 to 5, to 6. I can live with it either way, but couldn't they have made it consistent?

Regarding pictures from phone: I have a Lumia 920. The photos work great However, there is a strange cell phone quirk. If I use car Bluetooth, but take control of the handset from the phone (eg hit speakerphone or disconnect Bluetooth) during a phone call, the car will stay stuck in the phone conversation, with the phone connection remaining open. The only way to turn it off seems to be to turn off the car.
The failure to reduce (or mute) audio playback volume during nav instructions was a surprise here too. Like you, I've never had a nav system in any car (including previous Lexus cars) that didn't have an option to do this. Seems like a candidate for an update sometime in the future.

I also find the inconsistency in audio list/channel changing to be a weird Lexus quirk. It seems fully intentional: it worked that way in my 2010 and 2015 Lexus vehicles as well as my new 4RX.
Old 03-08-16, 07:15 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by billh556
The failure to reduce (or mute) audio playback volume during nav instructions was a surprise here too. Like you, I've never had a nav system in any car (including previous Lexus cars) that didn't have an option to do this. Seems like a candidate for an update sometime in the future.

I also find the inconsistency in audio list/channel changing to be a weird Lexus quirk. It seems fully intentional: it worked that way in my 2010 and 2015 Lexus vehicles as well as my new 4RX.
This has been a complaint from 2012 with the release of the 4GS. You'd think they would have rectified it by now considering there have been like 3 generations of systems between it and the 4RX.
Old 03-11-16, 08:39 AM
cpreecs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine has a high pitched sound when the seat ventilation is on medium to high. It must be a defect since its only on the passenger seat and not the drivers. Going to get it fixed at the 5k service.
Old 03-11-16, 08:46 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by cpreecs
Mine has a high pitched sound when the seat ventilation is on medium to high. It must be a defect since its only on the passenger seat and not the drivers. Going to get it fixed at the 5k service.
My driver's seats fan has something in the way and the fan blades are hitting it. It would not be so bad except it is the fan just behind my head and will drive you nuts. I seldom if ever use the vent feature and do not wish Lexus to tear my seat apart so I am going to let it go.
Old 03-11-16, 09:14 AM
ghabicht
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
This has been a complaint from 2012 with the release of the 4GS. You'd think they would have rectified it by now considering there have been like 3 generations of systems between it and the 4RX.
And why does the radio screen STILL cut off the song title at 16 spaces? (did this on my 2008 and 2012) There is plenty of room on the screen... I thought that they would have addressed that too.
Old 03-11-16, 11:04 AM
450h4bvrs
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

This was new to us, with lane departure on and after driving a couple hours, I changed lanes without using my blinkers (a couple times), a light came on in the shape of a coffee cup and suggested taking a break. I thought that was cool!
The following users liked this post:
Hyatt (11-12-19)
Old 03-12-16, 08:09 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ghabicht
And why does the radio screen STILL cut off the song title at 16 spaces? (did this on my 2008 and 2012) There is plenty of room on the screen... I thought that they would have addressed that too.
Yep, I'll jump on this band wagon. Ridiculous this isn't fixed. My wife's 2010 Nissan shows the full title.

I've got to remember to write this on the next survey from Lexus.
Old 03-14-16, 07:41 AM
darkoozy
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RXOwner
My driver's seats fan has something in the way and the fan blades are hitting it. It would not be so bad except it is the fan just behind my head and will drive you nuts. I seldom if ever use the vent feature and do not wish Lexus to tear my seat apart so I am going to let it go.
I have this issue too. The fan noise is ridiculous.
Old 03-21-16, 04:17 PM
RKrukoski
Driver School Candidate

Default Only 2 disappointments with my 2016 RX 450h

I am an RX 450h owner (first a 2013, then a 2015, and picked up my 2016 a week ago). Always fully loaded with every option possible. I love the 2016 and only have 2 beefs ...

1. XM Nav Traffic is not supported in Canada on the 2016. I was not told about this from my dealer so I gave them a 2015 with working Nav Traffic and got a 2016 without Nav Traffic

2. There is no "change tray" in the centre console

Otherwise this vehicle is amazing and even despite these, I still highly recommend.
Old 03-22-16, 08:43 AM
Legolas2
Rookie

Originally Posted by Legolas2
Bumping my own post...

Does your RX show Caller's Photo? I get the name/number but not their picture.
Update: I switched over to Galaxy S7, and now I can see the caller photo. FYI, the photo also shows up in the instrument cluster
Old 03-22-16, 08:50 AM
Legolas2
Rookie

Is it possible to get something like Google's sendtocar w/ our 2016 RX?
Lexus doesn't show in the list of Manufacturers.

https://www.google.com/maps/sendtocar
Old 03-22-16, 08:58 AM
ghabicht
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Their website says only Lexus nav in Europe is supported, not in the US...
Old 03-22-16, 10:45 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 230 Likes on 181 Posts

Use the Enform App Suite:

1) Destination Search
2) Search for your location
3) Select from list
4) Press "Save"
5) Start car (with Bluetooth on and phone synced)
6) Launch Enform on car
7) Saved Destinations
8) Sync and go.

You can also use e-destination through Safety Connect subscription, but it's more work IMO.
Old 03-22-16, 12:40 PM
Legolas2
Rookie

Originally Posted by dchar
Use the Enform App Suite:

1) Destination Search
2) Search for your location
3) Select from list
4) Press "Save"
5) Start car (with Bluetooth on and phone synced)
6) Launch Enform on car
7) Saved Destinations
8) Sync and go.

You can also use e-destination through Safety Connect subscription, but it's more work IMO.
Thanx. Will give this a go. Noticed that Enform AppSuite doesn't search the phone contacts, that would be an easier way to seek destinations.
Old 03-22-16, 12:56 PM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by darkoozy
I have this issue too. The fan noise is ridiculous.
Agreed but not so sure I want them to pull the seat apart as I do not use the seat vent anyway.

Sounds like a small piece of plastic is hitting the blades and will drive you nuts quickly.

Quick Reply: 4RX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)