RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

4RX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-16, 09:24 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by bootman
For virtually all phones made after 2013 just use the USB ports for charging.
Or do you want to use the ac plug for something else? (you bought up phones)
But I can fast charge with my Galaxy which would require an AC port. With fast chargers being the norm you need the AC. The convenience of fast charging is great. 30 minutes to 60% capacity.
Old 02-14-16, 09:26 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
But I can fast charge with my Galaxy which would require an AC port. With fast chargers being the norm you need the AC. The convenience of fast charging is great. 30 minutes to 60% capacity.
Then you need this.

Amazon.com: Car Charger, AUKEY 30W 2-Port USB Car Charger with Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 Technology & AiPower Adaptive Charging Technology; Includes a 3.3ft Quick Charge Micro USB Cable - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Car Charger, AUKEY 30W 2-Port USB Car Charger with Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 Technology & AiPower Adaptive Charging Technology; Includes a 3.3ft Quick Charge Micro USB Cable - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories
Old 02-14-16, 01:23 PM
Talys1767
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Bootman - I think the AC outlet is from the Executive package, not the rear DVD option. In any case, the rear DVD option in Canada isn't available in the F-Sport, and even if it were, it's so expensive (and not useful to me) that I wouldn't pay for it unless I had no choice in the matter.

From what I saw, the F-Sport has a cigarettle lighter accessory plug in the center console in the back, whereas the executive package has an AC outlet there. Would it have killed them to put an AC outlet there for the F-Sport?

I have a AC inverter inside the center compartment of the rear seats. Fits perfectly. However, I don't like using it because it makes a high-pitched whine -- a byproduct of it not being grounded -- but also, because it's one more thing floating/rattling around with wires.

The reason I want an AC block is to plug in/charge things like laptops.

It certainly is a million miles from a deal-killer... it's not something I would use *often*, but something I would really appreciate. It just seems bizarre that they wouldn't put it something that would be so generally desirable and easy to do, especially when it's in another package. In terms of actual cost, I think it would have been literally dollars.
Old 02-14-16, 01:57 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

So essentially your saying "Lexus if I`m paying for a $50K car, why can`t you do the logical thing and include a built in $14 inverter that Coolsaber was ranting about, and stop me from posting Amazon links for DC to AC inverter and help me just carry one cord that came with phone to charge my phone"

In this case I agree

Seriously though, why bother including DC Jacks when a) no one uses it to smoke like they did in the past, and everyone uses a smartphone and other gadgets that would be better off with an AC power inverter properly integrated and grounded. If it was standard on the low end economy matrix why not on the high end Lexus. #commonsense
Old 02-14-16, 03:26 PM
kenforum
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This might have been discovered but just learned that the sun visor can be extended:

4RX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)-image-3300985077.jpg

I used to have a 2003 TL with extended sun visor but it extends in a different way. It had a plastic plate that can be pulled out from the visor.
Old 02-14-16, 05:09 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kenforum
This might have been discovered but just learned that the sun visor can be extended:

Attachment 379947

I used to have a 2003 TL with extended sun visor but it extends in a different way. It had a plastic plate that can be pulled out from the visor.
Is this a double shade or just an extendable track? I of course only tDed on a rainy day so I didnt test it out myself
Old 02-14-16, 08:45 PM
kenforum
Driver

I think it's extendable track for the RX.
Old 02-15-16, 06:24 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
So essentially your saying "Lexus if I`m paying for a $50K car, why can`t you do the logical thing and include a built in $14 inverter that Coolsaber was ranting about, and stop me from posting Amazon links for DC to AC inverter and help me just carry one cord that came with phone to charge my phone"

In this case I agree

Seriously though, why bother including DC Jacks when a) no one uses it to smoke like they did in the past, and everyone uses a smartphone and other gadgets that would be better off with an AC power inverter properly integrated and grounded. If it was standard on the low end economy matrix why not on the high end Lexus. #commonsense
Yes, if they included the correct USB ports for high speed charging we would not be quibbling about it.
But sadly most car makers do not so at least there are options $50K car or not.
Old 02-18-16, 07:24 AM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

I took Uber to work this morning and something weird happened to the Toyota Camry that picked me up. I had my RX keyfob in my pocket when i hopped into the Camry and when i got into the car the Camry had some sort of key malfunction displayed on his dash. Driver had to stop and restart the car and error dissapeared. Wonder if its related to my RX keyfob...
Old 02-18-16, 05:58 PM
ArieAvnur
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Disappointment

One major disappointment with my new Rx450h - turn radius. Poor. Very large radius. Lexus can do better than that.
The following users liked this post:
Anipilot (05-30-17)
Old 02-18-16, 06:22 PM
jwigley
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They still have that issue? That's how the Gen 1s are. I see full size extended bed GMC trucks with a better turn radius.
Old 02-19-16, 04:15 AM
darkoozy
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I discovered something I am not sure was on my previous '13 f-sport.

This involves the chair and steering wheel auto adjusting to the memory setting when you hit the ignition.

If you simply sit in the vehicle, and buckle the seat belt BEFORE hitting the ignition, your chair and wheel will auto adjust to memory setting. Not sure this is a new behavior, as I always get in, hit the ignition then buckle up, and the seat and wheel assume their settings...I thought the "change" was cool.
Old 02-19-16, 09:55 AM
kenforum
Driver

Originally Posted by darkoozy
I discovered something I am not sure was on my previous '13 f-sport. This involves the chair and steering wheel auto adjusting to the memory setting when you hit the ignition. If you simply sit in the vehicle, and buckle the seat belt BEFORE hitting the ignition, your chair and wheel will auto adjust to memory setting. Not sure this is a new behavior, as I always get in, hit the ignition then buckle up, and the seat and wheel assume their settings...I thought the "change" was cool.
Actually, in addition to what you stated, the seat and steering wheel of the 4RX will already move the moment when you hit the ignition without even buckling up.
Old 02-19-16, 10:35 AM
Legolas2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Map

• When you click the Compass (circled red in image) you can change between 3 views
  • When you click the 3-cars symbol (circled blue in image) , it announces the traffic

Old 02-19-16, 11:58 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by ArieAvnur
One major disappointment with my new Rx450h - turn radius. Poor. Very large radius. Lexus can do better than that.
Not sure this is a valid complaint:

Turn Circle in ft
10 Lexus RX350 38.8
14 Lexus RX450h 38.8
16 Lexus RX450h 38.0
16 BMW X5 xDrive35i 41.7
14 MB ML350 4MATIC 38.7
13 Edge Limited AWD 39.3
13 Wrangler Sport Unlimited 41.2

Is this your first SUV?
The following users liked this post:
Geekteach (12-20-19)

Quick Reply: 4RX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)