RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

4RX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-16, 11:26 PM
macdee
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 450h4bvrs
Which drive recorder / camera system did you install? I am looking and reading reviews and it seems nothing is highly recommended? Thank You.
Ended up installing a retail model identical to the "official" Lexus option here in Japan (and about 40% cheaper at that!). It's DREC-4000 by Eclipse.
Unfortunately, found no exact model on the US Amazon store, but you could probably import from Japan if you'd like…*or maybe it goes under a different model name in the US.

I also searched high and low, and even bought one… ( http://goo.gl/6o2oOt ) This one is pretty good tech-wise, but I never installed it after trying it out. Just WAY too huge, especially annoying for the front passenger.

The DREC 4000 is not very good sensor-wise. Only 720p (1Mpix resolution)…*but because it's a separate type, it is really small. Just the camera, with built-in GPS module goes on the front glass, the small microphone thingy goes on dashboard, and the recorded itself goes inside the glove box.

The recorder supports HDR recording, and records in MP4 format, which is directly readable by Lexus navigation (just put recorder's SD inside micro-SD slot of the navi). Image quality is not extremely good, but not too bad either. You can try to search vids on youtube, just enter the model number.
So well… I can't tell I'm extremely satisfied, but that's the best I found that fits my needs to a decent degree. Hope there's an upgraded model coming out soon…

Here's the link on Amazon JP:
http://goo.gl/8Svxjx
Old 02-03-16, 03:05 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by go3Ds
Tire pressure is now by individual tire location. My left rear tire was 2 psi to high (cold tire pressure) so was easy to locate and correct. Also nice to know our 2016's still come with nitrogen air, at least according to the green cap N2 nitrogen valve covers on the tires. My door says psi supposed to be 33 psi cold tire pressure, but seems like dealers usually do 36 psi whether new car delivery, or during service.

Attachment 379128
Love how it shows which tire now. Do not forget to check that spare tire, I keep it a little over inflated.

Enjoy!
Old 02-03-16, 11:13 AM
SFocLA
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you guys know there is a mini storage compartment on the left hand side of steering wheel under the buttons? Just press the button and it pops open. Maybe other lexus models have this but I havent driven a lexus in a while!

Just saw that today...I feel so stoked
Old 02-04-16, 12:59 AM
Talys1767
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SFocLA
Did you guys know there is a mini storage compartment on the left hand side of steering wheel under the buttons? Just press the button and it pops open. Maybe other lexus models have this but I havent driven a lexus in a while!

Yes, this is an AWESOME storage compartment. It's actually really nicely sized, and it has a cool button with a soft open that gives it that luxury finish feel. I keep a change pouch and some keys that I almost never use in there.

There's also a little side bin thing on the left of the passenger seat, both door side pockets expand, with a cupholder of sorts in each.
Old 02-04-16, 02:13 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SFocLA

Yep, holds my calling cards and a spare pen.

Comes in very handy.
Old 02-09-16, 07:01 AM
darkoozy
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This might go without saying...

In the f-sport, the odometer reading was turned off when I picked up the car. Took me a while to figure out that pressing the "ODO/Trip" button will display the odometer and trip meters on the center tachometer. Looks better with it switched off, giving it a much cleaner look
Old 02-09-16, 08:27 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by roblim
When you activate your turn signal, the front swoosh light no longer turns off on the blinking side. This always bugged me so I am glad it is no longer necessary.

I want to get that cool sequential turn signal light that is standard in Japan. Do you need an entire new tail light assembly or is it just software? It looks sick.

Lexus New RX200t/RX450h ??? Turn signal flowing (æµã‚Œã‚‹ã‚¦ã‚¤ãƒ³ã‚«ãƒ¼ 発売å‰) - YouTube
Didn't the mid 1960s Ford Thunderbird have that as a signature feature?
Old 02-09-16, 08:29 AM
darkoozy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by daryll40
Didn't the mid 1960s Ford Thunderbird have that as a signature feature?
Yes, the t-bird did that, and the current model mustangs are doing it too...
Old 02-10-16, 09:31 PM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Mors
This is probably because Lexus hasn't figured out 8-speed engines yet. A real bummer. When the RC came out, this was a major complaint and the main reason I don't own one. Lexus tends to care about certain driving conditions and not daily drivers. I've been long Lexus, but they need to get this figured out and reprogrammed. Personally, I don't care for the 8-speeds in any car. They either change to quick or can't find the right gear
I disagree the 8 speed in my LS is sensational and was the first they did in 07 .
Old 02-11-16, 04:08 AM
darkoozy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LordBowral
I disagree the 8 speed in my LS is sensational and was the first they did in 07 .
Yes, I agree. I have a 2012 ISF with the 8 speed transmission and its quite amazing. I am still amazed how well the transmission performs. I also had the 2013 f-sport RX350 with the first time 8 speed transmission, and it drove much smoother than the 6 speed equivalent.
Old 02-11-16, 05:08 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

I have no complaints about the 8 speed tranny but do not like how it is programmed to stay at such low RPM when driving conservatively. Need a setting somewhere between normal and sport.
Old 02-11-16, 05:55 AM
Jorgenamm
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yes!!

Originally Posted by hkbruin2
We've been driving around the new RX over the weekend since purchasing last Wesnesday and we noticed a fizzing/hissing sound coming from the engine bay while the climate control is on. Particularly when it is set to auto whether AC is on or not. I thought it was the AC compressor but I'm not sure if it is because it is constant and quite noticeable while idling at a traffic light and it also elicited a comment from my wife. If I turn off the climate control/fan off entirely the sound goes away shortly after. Does anyone else experience this? I have an FSport 350 and was wondering if this was by design or if it's an issue. Any feedback would be appreciated.

My AC makes a "water" sound, but only when the AC is on.....I am currently fighting with the dealer who wants to say it's "normal". It's driving me nuts!!
Old 02-11-16, 05:59 AM
Jorgenamm
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by joe311
I thought it was just mines that had this sound. I also hear this like gargling sound. I thought it was the fan motor was loose or something.

I'm so glad to know I'm not crazy. I've been fight with my dealer about this "gurgling" noise for over a month now. Matter of fact I have a meeting with the GM and the regional FTS from Chicago today. Has anyone else actually complained, and what resolution did you get?
Old 02-11-16, 07:19 AM
hkbruin2
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jorgenamm
I'm so glad to know I'm not crazy. I've been fight with my dealer about this "gurgling" noise for over a month now. Matter of fact I have a meeting with the GM and the regional FTS from Chicago today. Has anyone else actually complained, and what resolution did you get?
Are you going to have them take a ride with you? Maybe you can get some petition going and I'll gladly sign!
Old 02-11-16, 09:24 AM
Jorgenamm
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hkbruin2
Are you going to have them take a ride with you? Maybe you can get some petition going and I'll gladly sign!
I had the service supervisor "hear" it. Then they put me off until the regional FTS could come to town and "hear" it. At which time he stated it was "normal" and nothing would be done. I then called Lexus NA and the General Manager of the dealership. They are bringing the FTS back today to ride with me and the GM. I don't expect they will give me any answer other than it's "normal". I tried explaining that if it were normal then every other car I've ever driven and they sell would make the same noise. Sadly, I believe this will be a no win situation for me. Only hoping as more of these roll out and the need for AC becomes necessary with summer that more complaints will arise as people from the cold weather states begin hearing it.

Quick Reply: 4RX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)