RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

All Models have Qi phone charger?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-16, 12:08 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

It seems to be a "before it's time" conundrum,
a) it doesn't charge very quickly
b) very limited number of phones are compatible without an adapter.

After a few 2015 NX's were delivered with the Qi charger it became
clear that it did not add value and was quietly dropped from the RX builds.
Old 09-29-16, 09:13 AM
JosersRX
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

This option was pulled from production in the US... you can get it in Canada, however. I spoke to Lexus Corp Customer Service directly at the time I was placing a special order for my RX450H. I was told, that they received a ton of complaints from US consumers in the focus groups because the charger wasn't charging fast enough and basically just ended "holding the current charge" on their device. Also, the option is pretty much not compatible with Apple iphones. So it that will be a huge mess here in the US being the iphone is the smart phone choice of folks.
Old 09-29-16, 10:15 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by JosersRX
This option was pulled from production in the US... you can get it in Canada, however. I spoke to Lexus Corp Customer Service directly at the time I was placing a special order for my RX450H. I was told, that they received a ton of complaints from US consumers in the focus groups because the charger wasn't charging fast enough and basically just ended "holding the current charge" on their device. Also, the option is pretty much not compatible with Apple iphones. So it that will be a huge mess here in the US being the iphone is the smart phone choice of folks.
The USB ports is not that great of an option either. Each port only puts out 1A. If you want fast charging it needs to be at least twice that.
Old 09-29-16, 02:11 PM
jimos
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ericsan13
The USB ports is not that great of an option either. Each port only puts out 1A. If you want fast charging it needs to be at least twice that.
1+1=2?
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-3-Fe...dp/B0047AALS0/
Old 09-30-16, 12:41 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by jimos
Not sure how that would interfere with the iPod function of the USB port, but someone should definitely try this and report back. It's probably easier just to buy a cigarette adapter for when you do need faster charging though.
Old 10-01-16, 10:51 AM
TProfit
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well that really sucks!!!! 😑

So are there any viable options to add Qi charging to our vehicles besides USB cables to an external charging plate?
Looking for a rapid charge option if possible.
I want a much cleaner interface that looks stock, no visible wires.

Saw online the offering of the freedom charge by Brand motion. They have a few custom kits for automotive applications but none for Lexus. There is a kit that you can "trim" yourself to fit. Anyone with any expwrience with them?

Originally Posted by JosersRX
Old 08-12-17, 09:13 PM
IXLRS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wireless charging?

Is the wireless charging cubby behind the shifter available with premium, luxury and fsport trims.
Thanks
Old 08-13-17, 03:05 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

If you are in Canada I am not sure which level makes the charger standard. Might be all levels.

No such option in America.

you need to fix your .gif signature.

Last edited by ggebhardt; 08-13-17 at 04:43 AM.
Old 08-13-17, 09:58 AM
AST300
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I was researching my 2016 RX450h over a year ago, I spent a lot of time on the Lexus of Edmonton website, because they did walk-arounds of the car. The walk-around included showing the Qi wireless charger. So when I went to test drive and buy my 2016 RX450h in Beaverton, Oregon in June, 2016, I was disappointed to find the wireless charger is not offered in the U.S. (I was also very disappointed there was no hitch receiver offered at the time for 450h F Sport, but it is since offered from the factory). After purchase, I asked the Technology Consultant about it, and it was his understanding that it is not offered because U.S. Lexus drivers tend to be iPhone users rather than Android, and that the Qi charger is Android only. He also said Toyota drivers are just the opposite, they tend to Android.

This explanation seemed somewhat plausible, but one day, when really bored, I looked at all the Lexus models, and found the Qi offered on 2 models, as I recall. I believe one of the models was the LX (or it may have been GX), and I don't recall the other.

It seems to me that if offered on 2 models, it should be offered on all models. And if not offered from the factory, it should be a dealer-installed option, so that iPhone users would not risk damaging their phone on a non-compatible charging pad. And if it's a problem as others in this thread have noted that the charger does not charge but simply maintain the current level of charge, I don't understand why Lexus could not/would not fix this problem.

I still hope that Lexus will some day offer a dealer-installed Qi charger that could easily be retro-fit, so I always check with the Parts counter for availability any time I'm at my dealer.
Old 08-13-17, 02:05 PM
kg11
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I added a Qi charging receiver to my 5X for use in my 2017 RX350 (Canada) and, as has already been noted, it just holds the charge level. I do have a protective cover on the phone that adds a little bit of space between the power transmitter and receiver, but it functions well enough on the qi pad in the house so that cannot be the main cause.

On the plus side, the LED changes color to indicate connection made.

One other issue with the cubby, is that the cell phone signal is slightly less.
Old 09-19-17, 03:15 AM
giovane
10th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I bet with the new iPhones every apple user will look into retrofitting the qi charger... part number please?
Old 09-19-17, 04:03 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by giovane
I bet with the new iPhones every apple user will look into retrofitting the qi charger... part number please?
welcome to the wireless charging party, us other guys have had it for many many years. lol
anyways, if the charger is slow, it will be far from useful,
Old 09-19-17, 07:30 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by AST300
When I was researching my 2016 RX450h over a year ago, I spent a lot of time on the Lexus of Edmonton website, because they did walk-arounds of the car. The walk-around included showing the Qi wireless charger. So when I went to test drive and buy my 2016 RX450h in Beaverton, Oregon in June, 2016, I was disappointed to find the wireless charger is not offered in the U.S. (I was also very disappointed there was no hitch receiver offered at the time for 450h F Sport, but it is since offered from the factory). After purchase, I asked the Technology Consultant about it, and it was his understanding that it is not offered because U.S. Lexus drivers tend to be iPhone users rather than Android, and that the Qi charger is Android only. He also said Toyota drivers are just the opposite, they tend to Android.

This explanation seemed somewhat plausible, but one day, when really bored, I looked at all the Lexus models, and found the Qi offered on 2 models, as I recall. I believe one of the models was the LX (or it may have been GX), and I don't recall the other.

It seems to me that if offered on 2 models, it should be offered on all models. And if not offered from the factory, it should be a dealer-installed option, so that iPhone users would not risk damaging their phone on a non-compatible charging pad. And if it's a problem as others in this thread have noted that the charger does not charge but simply maintain the current level of charge, I don't understand why Lexus could not/would not fix this problem.

I still hope that Lexus will some day offer a dealer-installed Qi charger that could easily be retro-fit, so I always check with the Parts counter for availability any time I'm at my dealer.

And the made the space under the arm rest to fit only an iPhone 5 and lower models

Old 09-19-17, 07:57 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

I know that Canada was mentioned a few times, but for us canadians, it is available only on the Executive or F-Sport series 3 (fully equiped) packages.
Old 09-19-17, 10:41 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

The 2016/7 RX
wrist rest cubby does fit any retired iPod or iPhone 4 or smaller. Connect with
the .5 meter ("14) lightning cord and use for media storage. I do not want to fuss
with taking my i6 off my belt and back and the music becomes voice activated when
hard wired. It stays turned on and the .5 amp trickle is plenty.

Quick Reply: All Models have Qi phone charger?