RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Extended Warranty (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-17, 05:21 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 465 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by lmsf
Is the extended warranty for new cars different than the extended warranty for certified pre-owned cars?

We bought a 2016 RX 350 with 10,000 miles on it, so it's still under the bumper to bumper warranty for the next 4 years. The dealership (in Colorado) offered us an extended bumper to bumper warranty for an additional 5 years for $3,990. That seems to be a lot more than many of the prices I see on this thread, so is it because it's an extended warranty for a certified pre-owned car, and not a new car?
The dealership also said that I had to buy the warranty at the time of the car purchase or I would never be able to qualify for the bumper to bumper extended warranty again. I can still cancel the extended warranty and get my money back. Any ideas on why what I was offered was so much more expensive and why the dealership said I could only buy it at the time of the car purchase? Thanks!
Sir/Ms, you are being hustled. Classic hustle. I would cancel in a NY minute!
The following users liked this post:
lmsf (11-29-17)
Old 11-29-17, 09:39 AM
BRITTO
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Extended warranty

Your dealership may offer different products. Some are Lexus branded and others may not be. I'd find out if the $3,990 policy is Lexus Branded, in other words Lexus or their vendor is sponsoring the policy. It still sounds like a lot and with the Lexus quality I'd pass. As I mentioned before, if you do encounter a problem you'll want to see if they'll assist with goodwill participation.
Old 11-29-17, 04:50 PM
lmsf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the helpful replies about the warranty, all! I called another dealership today, a Lexus Plus dealer (meaning they never negotiate on price), and they offered the same 5-year extended warranty for $3,440, about $500 cheaper than the price I got it for. When I mentioned that I had seen prices around $1,800 for the platinum warranty, they explained that that price is for new cars only, and that the warranty on certified cars is different and more expensive. They said that it is not possible to get the new car platinum warranty on certified cars, and the only available option is the one they quoted me.

I'm going to cancel the warranty I got. I'll post an update if they offer me a good price.
Old 01-13-18, 12:02 AM
kss
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think i got a good price on a 2017 RX 350 F Sport 3 package, with pretty good discounting and pick up the car next Thursday.

I wanted to also get an extended warranty, but haven't heard of canadian dealers giving discounts on extended warranties. Does anyone know of canadian dealers getting discounts on extended warranties - I've read thread of USA buyers negotiated lower prices.

With my 2010 RX350 i had the 6 yr/160k warranty and was looking at getting the 6 yr/180k warranty. My current Lexus has 197k km. A friend of mine with a 2012 lexus had to get his electrical system looked at after the warranty ended and it cost him $400 just to get the diagnostic done (3 1/2 hour shop time) and than sold the car.

I was planning on purchasing both the Platinum planextended warranty and the paint protection plan. The Platinum plan extended warranty is $3540 for 72 months/180k km and net cost would be around $2500, when you deduct the pre-paid maintenance from the overall cost. There is an additional $999 for the Smart program paint/leather protection plan(includes rock chip, scratches, dent removal and alloy wheel, as well as interior leather). I've read of USA buyers buying a car at one dealership and buying a lower negotiated price extended warranty from another dealership. Anyone have experience of that in Canada? Any recommendations of dealers that will offer the extended warranty at a lower price???

Last edited by kss; 01-13-18 at 12:07 AM.
Old 01-13-18, 06:38 AM
Pmunir
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would start shopping the extended warranties now over the phone to negotiate the best price. The dealer that sold me my AWD GS350 f sport (40K Miles) offered $3700 and then knocked it down to $3200. This was for an add’l 5 year/unlimited miles warranty on top of the 3 year/unlimited miles I got for purchasing CErtified. Another dealer offered me $2600 and I bought it with them.
Old 01-13-18, 09:49 AM
kss
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pmunir
I would start shopping the extended warranties now over the phone to negotiate the best price. The dealer that sold me my AWD GS350 f sport (40K Miles) offered $3700 and then knocked it down to $3200. This was for an add’l 5 year/unlimited miles warranty on top of the 3 year/unlimited miles I got for purchasing CErtified. Another dealer offered me $2600 and I bought it with them.
It looks like the dealers in the USA are much more open to negotiating than in Canada.
Old 01-15-18, 06:29 PM
fredw1
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by BRITTO
From everyone that I've spoken to Lexus quality as measured by JD Power and others, would indicate that an extended warranty is not needed. I'd mention that if you've had your vehicle maintained at a Lexus dealer, if something does occur they or you should approach Lexus for assistance.
I wait until close to the time that the factory warranty runs out before I decide to buy and extended warranty. If I've had no issues, I generally don't buy one, but if the car has had problems, I would buy one.
Old 02-12-18, 09:04 AM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts
Question

Interesting...I just called Lexus Financial (the department handling Lexus warranties) and was told that I could not purchase a Lexus extended warranty out-of-state as a dealership had to verify the mileage by reviewing the vehicle in person. I asked why Lexus cannot simply prompt the vehicle and find the mileage as one does with Lexus Remote? The representative didn’t even know about Lexus Remote and Lexus Enform! Really?! Have others here purchased Lexus warranties (not third-party) from out-of-state without issue from Lexus?
Old 02-18-18, 03:09 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ycnibrc
I have the 6 years 100,000 mile for $1,076. You never know with all those electronic start stop and navigation.
where did you buy from? Pm me if you don’t want to post publically.
Old 05-22-18, 12:12 PM
goto35
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default just bought a 2016 RX450H with 30k miles. Should i buy an extended warranty?

The current warranty will end 11/15/2019.

Should I buy an extended warranty? I am planning on keeping the car for atleast 10 years. Debating if we should do an extended warranty?
Old 05-22-18, 01:10 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

These are some of the most reliable cars on the market. In addition, the RX450H hybrid you bought has an 8 year 150,000 mile warranty on the battery pack and hybrid drivetrain. There are hybrid taxis with over 300,000 miles still in service.
No, put the cost of the extended warranty into a long term CD which you can reinvest after a couple years and it will be available if you need it in 10 years for a repair. If you do not need a repair you will have made a nice conservative investment.
Old 05-22-18, 05:28 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,340 Likes on 1,690 Posts

Originally Posted by goto35
The current warranty will end 11/15/2019.

Should I buy an extended warranty? I am planning on keeping the car for atleast 10 years. Debating if we should do an extended warranty?
All depends on cost, length of coverage etc.
Old 05-22-18, 06:59 PM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutchless
In addition, the RX450H hybrid you bought has an 8 year 150,000 mile warranty on the battery pack and hybrid drivetrain..
I think it varies by state. This is from Consumer Reports : "Automakers are required to warranty the batteries on any hybrid as an emissions control part for eight years and 80,000 miles in most states. In about 10 states, they're required to warranty them for 10 years or 150,000 miles..."
Old 05-25-18, 03:58 AM
Usual
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

The finance manager told me these vehicles are very expensive to maintain - I should expect $3-$4k repair bills because there's so much electronics. Also, there's essentially no rust protection from the factory - they're seeing vehicles "rust" after only 2 -3 years...
Old 05-25-18, 11:01 AM
Jiggz858
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Usual
The finance manager told me these vehicles are very expensive to maintain - I should expect $3-$4k repair bills because there's so much electronics. Also, there's essentially no rust protection from the factory - they're seeing vehicles "rust" after only 2 -3 years...
Now that's a sales talk that will make you seriously consider an Extended Warranty. And the sad part is even if you report this to the manager, Lexus, etc . . . they'll just give you a smirk on it because they know it's nothing but a sales pitch.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty (merged threads)