Notices
RX - 4th Gen (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty (merged threads)

 
Old 03-09-19, 08:59 AM
  #91  
Tmymck
Driver
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Georgia
Posts: 105
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Please forgive me if this has been mentioned already. We bought a 2016 RX with 28900 miles on it. It is a CPO so we have 2 additional years on it. It was purchase in October 2015 so runs out in 2021. Just curious if another two years which would put it to 2023 would be worth it. They wanted $1900.00 for it. The wife traded her 2013 IS250C USB Fsport for I. Yes I cried like a baby
Tmymck is offline  
Old 03-10-19, 07:30 AM
  #92  
ravenuer
Lead Lap
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 487
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Tmymck View Post
Please forgive me if this has been mentioned already. We bought a 2016 RX with 28900 miles on it. It is a CPO so we have 2 additional years on it. It was purchase in October 2015 so runs out in 2021. Just curious if another two years which would put it to 2023 would be worth it. They wanted $1900.00 for it. The wife traded her 2013 IS250C USB Fsport for I. Yes I cried like a baby
IMO, no, not worth it at all.
ravenuer is offline  
Old 03-10-19, 09:12 AM
  #93  
HontoKuro
Pole Position
 
HontoKuro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: IL
Posts: 224
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Tmymck View Post
Please forgive me if this has been mentioned already. We bought a 2016 RX with 28900 miles on it. It is a CPO so we have 2 additional years on it. It was purchase in October 2015 so runs out in 2021. Just curious if another two years which would put it to 2023 would be worth it. They wanted $1900.00 for it. The wife traded her 2013 IS250C USB Fsport for I. Yes I cried like a baby
You are better off saving those $1900 and keep it for future rainy money repairs. Extended warranties are one of their biggest money makers for dealers and unless you negotiate it down to less than $1k for the 2 years than don't bother.
HontoKuro is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Tmymck (03-10-19)
Old 03-10-19, 01:38 PM
  #94  
Tmymck
Driver
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Georgia
Posts: 105
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Exactly what I was thinking. I even said that to finance lady. Her reply was well it could cost you more than $1900.00 for repair. I said well at least I would get my .00001 percent interest on my 1900 bucks. LOL
Tmymck is offline  
Old 04-08-19, 03:30 PM
  #95  
2ndName
Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: CA
Posts: 130
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default

For what it's worth I was offered $3995 discounted from $4995 for a 3rd party Platinum warranty that's good for unlimited miles, up to 9 years. Technically 3 years additional coverage for a CPO 2016 (1 year manufacturer + 2 year CPO) AND all maintenance up to the 9 years after the 4 scheduled one that comes with the CPO. The maintenance one is kind of blurry as that was the counter when I said no to the deal eventually. Supposedly the maintenance itself is worth $2395.
2ndName is offline  
Old 04-11-19, 09:10 AM
  #96  
Getty
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: MO
Posts: 44
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

I searched this and only found one old thread from 2016 that's more about side-moldings than this dealer offering.

My dealer offered "Ding Shield" which is supported through Dent Wizard, for $695... I declined and they returned to the offer before final paperwork at $600. I asked again what all was covered, and for $600 any cosmetic scrapes of all wheels, and any dings where the paint is still in-tact. Plus any windshield chips... all unlimited, no-deductible.

The finance guy did say that hail damage was also covered, but in reading the actual contract, that part was a bit dishonest because it's only up to your insurance deductible and it's more or less your insurance company taking the hit.

Searching online I found lots of people upset about Ding Shield, because they say dents were refused since the dent was all the way through the paint. I don't really feel that's unreasonable for the company to have some kind of limit on what they can fix(?) In the fine-print of the contract, it's said that this coverage applies to the processes they normally do, which is paint-less dent repair... so if you get such a smack on the car that the paint is no-longer there... that's something else, isn't it? Also... about the wheel refinishing. I curb scraped a wheel in my last car, unfortunately more than once... and it was minor, but I tried not to look at it, and just accepted it.

I don't know, but I felt the assurance my RX will be pretty (not covering everything, but minor stuff that would drive me nuts) was worth it, even just for the peace of mind. Of course if the need to use it ever arises... maybe it won't go the way I've imagined. I'd be curious to hear from anyone who is EITHER thankful they had it, OR... based on personal experience (not assumptions) feels it was a waste? I think that info/experience would be helpful to others also.

Last edited by Getty; 04-11-19 at 09:18 AM.
Getty is offline  
Old 04-11-19, 09:53 AM
  #97  
2ndName
Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: CA
Posts: 130
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Getty View Post
I searched this and only found one old thread from 2016 that's more about side-moldings than this dealer offering.

My dealer offered "Ding Shield" which is supported through Dent Wizard, for $695... I declined and they returned to the offer before final paperwork at $600. I asked again what all was covered, and for $600 any cosmetic scrapes of all wheels, and any dings where the paint is still in-tact. Plus any windshield chips... all unlimited, no-deductible.

The finance guy did say that hail damage was also covered, but in reading the actual contract, that part was a bit dishonest because it's only up to your insurance deductible and it's more or less your insurance company taking the hit.

Searching online I found lots of people upset about Ding Shield, because they say dents were refused since the dent was all the way through the paint. I don't really feel that's unreasonable for the company to have some kind of limit on what they can fix(?) In the fine-print of the contract, it's said that this coverage applies to the processes they normally do, which is paint-less dent repair... so if you get such a smack on the car that the paint is no-longer there... that's something else, isn't it? Also... about the wheel refinishing. I curb scraped a wheel in my last car, unfortunately more than once... and it was minor, but I tried not to look at it, and just accepted it.

I don't know, but I felt the assurance my RX will be pretty (not covering everything, but minor stuff that would drive me nuts) was worth it, even just for the peace of mind. Of course if the need to use it ever arises... maybe it won't go the way I've imagined. I'd be curious to hear from anyone who is EITHER thankful they had it, OR... based on personal experience (not assumptions) feels it was a waste? I think that info/experience would be helpful to others also.
I think with all of these types of services/warranty, it's about the buyer's peace of mind. Others will have more threshold than others. You mentioned it right there that you felt the assurance justified the cost. If that's the case, then you're good on your purchase.
2ndName is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Getty (04-11-19)
Old 04-11-19, 10:18 AM
  #98  
Getty
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: MO
Posts: 44
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 2ndName View Post
I think with all of these types of services/warranty, it's about the buyer's peace of mind. Others will have more threshold than others. You mentioned it right there that you felt the assurance justified the cost. If that's the case, then you're good on your purchase.
I agree with you, but I do think some anecdotal experience would be valuable to the forum. Unfortunately the only way to know if "everyone" should opt for this, is what happens when you need it, and what were the circumstances.

I have insurance for peace of mind also, however... I also want to be sure it's worth the cost should a need arise.

I'd love to hear from anyone who bought this... and is glad they did... OR anyone who bought it and feels it was a waste. My buddy with the RC implied it wasn't worth it because he can get dings fixed for under $50 each... and averages $30, but when I asked where (because I'll immediately fix all the dings on my old car at that rate) he changed the subject. My perception was that he didn't want to concede this as a good choice. I'm okay to hear that was a waste, but it'll be a lot more valid from someone's own experience.
Getty is offline  
The following users liked this post:
2ndName (04-11-19)
Old 04-18-19, 08:30 AM
  #99  
tuandino
Driver
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: TX
Posts: 181
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Getty View Post
I agree with you, but I do think some anecdotal experience would be valuable to the forum. Unfortunately the only way to know if "everyone" should opt for this, is what happens when you need it, and what were the circumstances.

I have insurance for peace of mind also, however... I also want to be sure it's worth the cost should a need arise.

I'd love to hear from anyone who bought this... and is glad they did... OR anyone who bought it and feels it was a waste. My buddy with the RC implied it wasn't worth it because he can get dings fixed for under $50 each... and averages $30, but when I asked where (because I'll immediately fix all the dings on my old car at that rate) he changed the subject. My perception was that he didn't want to concede this as a good choice. I'm okay to hear that was a waste, but it'll be a lot more valid from someone's own experience.
My dad got extended warranty 7year/100k miles for his 2008 Lexus rx400h back in 2012. At year 6th of his ownership, there was crack in the radiator and some valve cover leaks. Dealership fixed all of that including timing belt service, all free under extended warranty. Total cost was around $3500.
tuandino is offline  
Old 04-18-19, 08:42 AM
  #100  
2ndName
Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: CA
Posts: 130
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tuandino View Post
My dad got extended warranty 7year/100k miles for his 2008 Lexus rx400h back in 2012. At year 6th of his ownership, there was crack in the radiator and some valve cover leaks. Dealership fixed all of that including timing belt service, all free under extended warranty. Total cost was around $3500.
Very nice saving. I'm sure what he paid for the warranty was less than $3500 too. That's a good save. I just think it trips me out when you talk to the salesman, they speak highly of the reliability of the Lexus brand. This is why you pay a premium and whatever other selling points they can add up.

However, when you enter the finance office, everything turns grim. Your car WILL fail. Your car has all these options/bells & whistles/technology and mechanics can't fix them as easily, will charge you hourly, you will dislike seeing our mechanics if you have to keep paying...

Trips me out every time!
2ndName is offline  
Old 04-18-19, 09:05 AM
  #101  
tuandino
Driver
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: TX
Posts: 181
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 2ndName View Post
Very nice saving. I'm sure what he paid for the warranty was less than $3500 too. That's a good save. I just think it trips me out when you talk to the salesman, they speak highly of the reliability of the Lexus brand. This is why you pay a premium and whatever other selling points they can add up.

However, when you enter the finance office, everything turns grim. Your car WILL fail. Your car has all these options/bells & whistles/technology and mechanics can't fix them as easily, will charge you hourly, you will dislike seeing our mechanics if you have to keep paying...

Trips me out every time!
Totally agree with you. I think my dad paid $1500 for the 7yr/100k miles extended warranty. So yes, it was pretty much worth it due to the problems he had with the car. However, if indeed we were gonna take it to indie shop to fix that... pretty sure it will be around 1500 or less. My point is that buying an extended warranty is just really a piece of mind kinda thing. These cars rarely have problem. Even if it does, there are shops out there that does better job than stealership and their high markup labor costs..
tuandino is offline  
Old 04-18-19, 09:08 AM
  #102  
2ndName
Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: CA
Posts: 130
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tuandino View Post
Totally agree with you. I think my dad paid $1500 for the 7yr/100k miles extended warranty. So yes, it was pretty much worth it due to the problems he had with the car. However, if indeed we were gonna take it to indie shop to fix that... pretty sure it will be around 1500 or less. My point is that buying an extended warranty is just really a piece of mind kinda thing. These cars rarely have problem. Even if it does, there are shops out there that does better job than stealership and their high markup labor costs..
Amen to that. Here's the question that I'm interested to know if you don't mind. Did you get the extended warranty on your 2019 RX?
2ndName is offline  
Old 04-18-19, 09:17 AM
  #103  
tuandino
Driver
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: TX
Posts: 181
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 2ndName View Post
Amen to that. Here's the question that I'm interested to know if you don't mind. Did you get the extended warranty on your 2019 RX?
No, i didn't get extended warranty for my 19 RX or 18 GX. Part of the reason why we choose Lexus this time is for their reliability and easier access to repair. Our last car was bmw x5 that was constantly in the shop for myriad of things. We got extended warranty for that and it was worth every penny. Back on my dad's car, the dealership found a hairline crack on one of the radiator fins, they opted to replace it under warranty. If it wasn't for warranty, I would strongly advise my dad to just live with the hairline crack. lol
tuandino is offline  
Old 04-18-19, 09:19 AM
  #104  
2ndName
Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: CA
Posts: 130
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tuandino View Post
No, i didn't get extended warranty for my 19 RX or 18 GX. Part of the reason why we choose Lexus this time is for their reliability and easier access to repair. Our last car was bmw x5 that was constantly in the shop for myriad of things. We got extended warranty for that and it was worth every penny. Back on my dad's car, the dealership found a hairline crack on one of the radiator fins, they opted to replace it under warranty. If it wasn't for warranty, I would strongly advise my dad to just live with the hairline crack. lol
Haha, got it. Yah, I had a couple of BMWs, man o' man! I spent so much money trying to fix it to baseline standard, lol. The minute it passes all checks, detailed it and then sold it...
2ndName is offline  
The following users liked this post:
tuandino (04-18-19)
Old 05-14-19, 05:22 PM
  #105  
Oldernu
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: PA
Posts: 7
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Piece of Mine

Bought an extended warranty for the first time. First CPO used car I bought since college--long ago. 2016 RX 350 has 16, 000 miles. Dealership replaced pads, resurfaced rotors, new tires, battery in presales prep. Nine months remain on new car warranty, then two years on CPO warranty before the extended warranty with $0 deductible begins. Cost $2400.

I'll drive this car until I'm wheeled away--then will tell my daughter to drive it and use the warranty until I expire. Long term planning here: I bet my life span will outlast that of the car!
Oldernu is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Extended Warranty (merged threads)


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: