RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Extended Warranty (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-18, 01:42 PM
Usual
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Jiggz858
Now that's a sales talk that will make you seriously consider an Extended Warranty. And the sad part is even if you report this to the manager, Lexus, etc . . . they'll just give you a smirk on it because they know it's nothing but a sales pitch.
Even though I know it was just a ham-fisted sales attempt, it left a really bad taste in my mouth. Up until that point I felt that they respected me as a customer, but it turns out they're no better than the fly-by-night used car dealer down the road. I hadn't signed the sales contract at that point, and I was tempted to get up and say "Well I'm not spending $70k for a vehicle that's going to fall apart before I finish paying for it - I'm going across the street to the Mercedes dealer."
Old 05-25-18, 08:45 PM
Jiggz858
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

When I bought mine, the salesman was very direct and prompt. After the negotiated price, 10% off MSRP and $2K in rebate, he asked if I wanted Extended Warranty. I said. "NO" and that was the end of it.
Old 05-26-18, 11:25 AM
Usual
Driver

In my case, the test drive process and negotiation was exceptional. It started to go downhill when they tried to sneak a $600 charge for VIN etching into the sales contract.
Old 05-27-18, 07:48 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 465 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Usual
In my case, the test drive process and negotiation was exceptional. It started to go downhill when they tried to sneak a $600 charge for VIN etching into the sales contract.
Ah, the ole VIN etching.....they still doing that?
Old 05-27-18, 12:28 PM
Usual
Driver

Originally Posted by ravenuer
Ah, the ole VIN etching.....they still doing that?
according to this guy
an average dealer can make $800k per year from this scam - not a wonder they still do it.
Old 05-27-18, 02:41 PM
chuongzzz
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i just trade my 2018 Gx for brand new 2018 RX350 L and bought 6 year or 70k miles extended warranty (meaning +2 more years or 20k miles from basic warranty ) 3 days ago , and today after i readed this topic i went to the dealer and talked to the financial manager who help me got that extended warranty . i told him i would like to cancel it , he said ok but i have to wait until i have the first bill and bring it to him so at the time he will help me cancel it and the monthly payment will not change , it's just help me pay off the car sooner if i cancel it . i dont know is it right or not but i'm feeling he just want to procrastinate and i will forget to cancel it , are there anyway to cancel it now or do i have to wait untill i have the first bill and come back to dealer to cancel it . he said i have to come back to see him with the bill so he can help me .
Old 05-27-18, 03:08 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Originally Posted by chuongzzz
i just trade my 2018 Gx for brand new 2018 RX350 L and bought 6 year or 70k miles extended warranty (meaning +2 more years or 20k miles from basic warranty ) 3 days ago , and today after i readed this topic i went to the dealer and talked to the financial manager who help me got that extended warranty . i told him i would like to cancel it , he said ok but i have to wait until i have the first bill and bring it to him so at the time he will help me cancel it and the monthly payment will not change , it's just help me pay off the car sooner if i cancel it . i dont know is it right or not but i'm feeling he just want to procrastinate and i will forget to cancel it , are there anyway to cancel it now or do i have to wait untill i have the first bill and come back to dealer to cancel it . he said i have to come back to see him with the bill so he can help me .
Do an internet search for your state's grace period for cancelling contracts. No way would I wait for the first bill to come in.
The following users liked this post:
chuongzzz (05-27-18)
Old 05-27-18, 09:29 PM
chuongzzz
Driver

Originally Posted by ravenuer
Do an internet search for your state's grace period for cancelling contracts. No way would I wait for the first bill to come in.
i did the research but could not find out how long do i have to wait until i can make the cancellation . Most of them said i can get 100% refund if cancel it within 30 day after i buy it but if i have to wait until i receive the first bill i think it will be over 30 days . i don't know what should i do now , thanks so much if i can get help from u guy .
Old 05-28-18, 06:28 AM
Usual
Driver

I would send a letter to the finance manager and to the general manager (with signature required if you want) stating that you want to cancel the warranty and that you have asked verbally to have it cancelled and are unhappy with the response. It will be good to have this in the future if you have to escalate.
The following users liked this post:
chuongzzz (05-28-18)
Old 05-28-18, 06:44 PM
chuongzzz
Driver

Originally Posted by Usual
I would send a letter to the finance manager and to the general manager (with signature required if you want) stating that you want to cancel the warranty and that you have asked verbally to have it cancelled and are unhappy with the response. It will be good to have this in the future if you have to escalate.
i just sent an email to the General manager and he call me after 5 mins . all i have to do is fill out the form to cancel it and don't have to wait until my first bill , thanks you guy so much
Old 05-29-18, 03:40 PM
Usual
Driver

Turns out the "electronic module" rust protection warranty scam is bringing in $1000 at my local Lexus dealer.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...article535224/
Old 06-14-18, 09:30 AM
LEXUSASM98
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=yoshinator;9252098]Hey there, I just joined this forum after buying my wife the new 2016 RX 350. Excited to be a part of the community.

I wanted to ask a question to the members here.

We were obviously given the option to purchase an extended warranty at the time of purchase. I was hoping to ask if anyone had experience with extended warranties and if it was worth it. Any insight or advice would be much appreciated.

- Dave[/QUOTE
The 2016 RX350 has a 4 yr/50k warr on it and also a 6/70k powertrain. No need to buy ext warr until right before the car hits 50k. Lexus EXT warranties are limited. But good to have, no need for it now. They run 2/24,3/36,4/48 and they start at around $1500
Old 06-15-18, 08:19 AM
ravenuer
Racer

[QUOTE=LEXUSASM98;10224287]
Originally Posted by yoshinator
Hey there, I just joined this forum after buying my wife the new 2016 RX 350. Excited to be a part of the community.

I wanted to ask a question to the members here.

We were obviously given the option to purchase an extended warranty at the time of purchase. I was hoping to ask if anyone had experience with extended warranties and if it was worth it. Any insight or advice would be much appreciated.

- Dave[/QUOTE
The 2016 RX350 has a 4 yr/50k warr on it and also a 6/70k powertrain. No need to buy ext warr until right before the car hits 50k. Lexus EXT warranties are limited. But good to have, no need for it now. They run 2/24,3/36,4/48 and they start at around $1500
With the generally excellent reliability record of Lexus/Toyota vehicles, I wouldn't consider an extended warranty. If I were going to buy a warranty, I'd get a Mercedes or BMW SUV.
As always, YMMV!
Old 08-20-18, 02:36 PM
wktjr
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

[QUOTE=ravenuer;10225258]
Originally Posted by LEXUSASM98

With the generally excellent reliability record of Lexus/Toyota vehicles, I wouldn't consider an extended warranty. If I were going to buy a warranty, I'd get a Mercedes or BMW SUV.
As always, YMMV!
Or a Range Rover...

I declined also. It was $3200! I tell people I can afford a Lexus now because I didn't make poor money decisions in the past.

I emailed my sales rep ahead of time saying I would be declining this option. This is my 5th Toyota product and aside some minor issues, never used it on anything that mattered. The standard warranty is pretty robust and it's a TMC vehicle. That's why you pay now so you won't pay later.
Old 10-13-18, 04:31 AM
sejijohn
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chuongzzz

I am wondering why did you trade off 2018 GX for RXL. For my RXL they chargred $2999 for additional 3 yrs 72k miles. I purchased additional warranty with an assumption of higher resale value after 4 or 5 years. Not sure now if it was a correct decision.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty (merged threads)