RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Extended Warranty (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-17, 03:32 PM
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am sure this has been hashed out many times, but right now I am to lazy to look. Besides they just sent me a quote for my Motor home at over $9000 for three years. Now this being a Lexus, do we need an extended warranty? I would probably say no except for all the fancy electronics on my new 450h.
The following users liked this post:
DunWkg (02-10-24)
Old 04-27-17, 01:38 AM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

i was quoted 4k-6k for 100k miles/8 years warranty on my 450 F sport, i turned them down, even the sales rep told me its not needed for Lexus, you won't get to use it

now that most of the Lexus are either made in the states or Canada, i am thinking if i should get it. if they were still made in Japan i wouldn't worry
Old 04-27-17, 06:06 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Brabusx2
now that most of the Lexus are either made in the states or Canada, i am thinking if i should get it. if they were still made in Japan i wouldn't worry
Over the course of the last 25-30 years, I've owned over 15 Lexus/Toyota vehicles and Nissan/Infiniti vehicles. About half were built in Japan and about half were built in the US. While the build quality of all has been very good, I had thought that the ones built in Japan were just a notch better with regard to fits and finishes and overall quality.

For 3 1/2 years, I owned a Japanese-built 2013 ES. Last fall, I traded it in and bought a 2017 US-built ES. While the 2013 Japanese-built ES was generally good with regard to fits and finishes, squeaks and rattles, etc., it was a bit short of being outstanding with regard to the fit of both interior and exterior panels, and it had an annoying squeak/chatter that I was eventually able to fix myself. On the other hand, the 2017 US-built ES is virtually perfect with regard to fits and finishes, and there isn't a hint of a squeak or rattle anywhere in the vehicle.

I never thought that I would have said it, but my US-built ES is, without question, better than the Japanese-built ES that I previously owned, and my (admittedly limited) experience has eliminated concerns that I had about the quality of the vehicles that Lexus is building in North America.

Originally Posted by Brabusx2
i was quoted 4k-6k for 100k miles/8 years warranty on my 450 F sport, i turned them down, even the sales rep told me its not needed for Lexus, you won't get to use it
Extended warranties are among the greatest opportunities that car dealers have to pad their profits. The mark-ups on extended warranties can be several hundred per cent.

For several years, I brokered car sales, and I had the opportunity to sell extended warranties. When I saw how outrageous the mark-up was on them, I could not, in good conscience, recommend that my customers buy them. If a customer insisted on buying an extended warranty, I would sell it to him/her at a fraction of the advertised price, and I still made a nice profit on the deal.

Consider that the Lexus bumper-to-bumper warranty covers the car for 4 years or 50,000 miles. Beyond that, the power train warranty extends to 6 years or 70,000 miles. And the hybrid components on your RX are covered for 8 years or 100,000 miles. Thus, the bulk of the time that is "covered" by the extended warranty is already covered by the factory warranty

If you keep your car for 6 years or more, yes, you are likely to incur some maintenance/repair costs, but the vast majority of those costs will come from things like tires, brakes, batteries, etc., which wouldn't be covered by the extended warranty. Lexus builds very dependable vehicles. Yes, there is a chance that your car could need a repair that would be covered by the extended warranty and whose cost would be greater than the cost of the extended warranty, but the chances of that happening are small. If, instead of buying extended warranties, you put the money that you would have spent on the extended warranties into an "emergency car repair" savings account, over the course of your next several cars, you would be virtually guaranteed to be many thousands of dollars ahead of where you would have been had you bought extended warranties for those cars.
The following 2 users liked this post by lesz:
Brabusx2 (05-10-17), jpark1676 (07-01-18)
Old 04-27-17, 06:56 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

I have never bought an extended warranty. I do not keep cars for more than 3 years so it really is an easy decision. However if you plan on keeping your car for 6-10 years maybe. Like Lesz says, put the money in the bank as an emergency repair fund. Peace of mind for everyone is different.
Old 05-10-17, 05:34 PM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
Over the course of the last 25-30 years, I've owned over 15 Lexus/Toyota vehicles and Nissan/Infiniti vehicles. About half were built in Japan and about half were built in the US. While the build quality of all has been very good, I had thought that the ones built in Japan were just a notch better with regard to fits and finishes and overall quality.

For 3 1/2 years, I owned a Japanese-built 2013 ES. Last fall, I traded it in and bought a 2017 US-built ES. While the 2013 Japanese-built ES was generally good with regard to fits and finishes, squeaks and rattles, etc., it was a bit short of being outstanding with regard to the fit of both interior and exterior panels, and it had an annoying squeak/chatter that I was eventually able to fix myself. On the other hand, the 2017 US-built ES is virtually perfect with regard to fits and finishes, and there isn't a hint of a squeak or rattle anywhere in the vehicle.

I never thought that I would have said it, but my US-built ES is, without question, better than the Japanese-built ES that I previously owned, and my (admittedly limited) experience has eliminated concerns that I had about the quality of the vehicles that Lexus is building in North America.

Extended warranties are among the greatest opportunities that car dealers have to pad their profits. The mark-ups on extended warranties can be several hundred per cent.

For several years, I brokered car sales, and I had the opportunity to sell extended warranties. When I saw how outrageous the mark-up was on them, I could not, in good conscience, recommend that my customers buy them. If a customer insisted on buying an extended warranty, I would sell it to him/her at a fraction of the advertised price, and I still made a nice profit on the deal.

Consider that the Lexus bumper-to-bumper warranty covers the car for 4 years or 50,000 miles. Beyond that, the power train warranty extends to 6 years or 70,000 miles. And the hybrid components on your RX are covered for 8 years or 100,000 miles. Thus, the bulk of the time that is "covered" by the extended warranty is already covered by the factory warranty

If you keep your car for 6 years or more, yes, you are likely to incur some maintenance/repair costs, but the vast majority of those costs will come from things like tires, brakes, batteries, etc., which wouldn't be covered by the extended warranty. Lexus builds very dependable vehicles. Yes, there is a chance that your car could need a repair that would be covered by the extended warranty and whose cost would be greater than the cost of the extended warranty, but the chances of that happening are small. If, instead of buying extended warranties, you put the money that you would have spent on the extended warranties into an "emergency car repair" savings account, over the course of your next several cars, you would be virtually guaranteed to be many thousands of dollars ahead of where you would have been had you bought extended warranties for those cars.
good read, thanks!

also agreed, i feel like my 16 RXh is better built than the 10 RXh
Old 10-25-17, 12:13 PM
Jiggz858
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

The dealership offered extended warranty and my response is, "Might as well buy a cheaper car brand". There is a reason I am buying Lexus and it's not just because of its name but because of its brand reputation as highly reliable. Nope never did buy extended warranty not even on my Toyota!
Old 10-25-17, 05:28 PM
ABbirds
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought 8 years 75000 miles warranty 3 weeks ago and I am going to cancel it tomorrow to get the refund. There is a $50 fee to cancel it.
Old 10-26-17, 12:17 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,348 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Originally Posted by ABbirds
I bought 8 years 75000 miles warranty 3 weeks ago and I am going to cancel it tomorrow to get the refund. There is a $50 fee to cancel it.
Good move. Most folks don't realize they can be cancelled for a full or prorated refund. Be prepared for big pushback from the dealer or whoever sold you the package. It will go something like this "do you know how much one small sensor will cost to replace? Your car has over 100 of these sensors. You're making a huge mistake. How about keeping it for 50% of the original cost?
Old 10-27-17, 06:38 PM
ABbirds
Driver

well as you predicted my wife ended up keeping the extended warranty for now.
Old 10-30-17, 06:10 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by ABbirds
well as you predicted my wife ended up keeping the extended warranty for now.
what price did you pay ?? thanks
Old 11-19-17, 05:46 PM
fredw1
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by hoplim
Hello all,

Just got my wife's RX450h, very excited!

I am wondering if I still can buy extended warranty from out-of-state dealers. If so, could anyone recommend a dealer with a good price? Otherwise, anyone know which dealer has a good price in North Carolina?

Thanks a lot!
If you are buying the Lexus Platinum warranty, you can buy it anywhere. There are a number of people at various dealers who will sell the warranty at a significant discount compared to what's offered at the point of sale. You need buy this only before the factory warranty runs out, so you can drive your car for the factory warranty period to see how repair-prone your car really is, and then decide.
The following users liked this post:
LexNYC83 (04-25-20)
Old 11-20-17, 12:13 PM
ABbirds
Driver

Originally Posted by JSracer
what price did you pay ?? thanks
Sorry for the late reply as I haven't been checking the website recently. $1780 for 8 years 75K miles platinum warranty.
Old 11-28-17, 12:15 PM
lmsf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the extended warranty for new cars different than the extended warranty for certified pre-owned cars?

We bought a 2016 RX 350 with 10,000 miles on it, so it's still under the bumper to bumper warranty for the next 4 years. The dealership (in Colorado) offered us an extended bumper to bumper warranty for an additional 5 years for $3,990. That seems to be a lot more than many of the prices I see on this thread, so is it because it's an extended warranty for a certified pre-owned car, and not a new car?

The dealership also said that I had to buy the warranty at the time of the car purchase or I would never be able to qualify for the bumper to bumper extended warranty again. I can still cancel the extended warranty and get my money back. Any ideas on why what I was offered was so much more expensive and why the dealership said I could only buy it at the time of the car purchase? Thanks!
Old 11-28-17, 12:45 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,348 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Originally Posted by lmsf
Is the extended warranty for new cars different than the extended warranty for certified pre-owned cars?

We bought a 2016 RX 350 with 10,000 miles on it, so it's still under the bumper to bumper warranty for the next 4 years. The dealership (in Colorado) offered us an extended bumper to bumper warranty for an additional 5 years for $3,990. That seems to be a lot more than many of the prices I see on this thread, so is it because it's an extended warranty for a certified pre-owned car, and not a new car?

The dealership also said that I had to buy the warranty at the time of the car purchase or I would never be able to qualify for the bumper to bumper extended warranty again. I can still cancel the extended warranty and get my money back. Any ideas on why what I was offered was so much more expensive and why the dealership said I could only buy it at the time of the car purchase? Thanks!
That price is insane. CANCEL
Old 11-28-17, 01:50 PM
BRITTO
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Extended Warranty

From everyone that I've spoken to Lexus quality as measured by JD Power and others, would indicate that an extended warranty is not needed. I'd mention that if you've had your vehicle maintained at a Lexus dealer, if something does occur they or you should approach Lexus for assistance.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty (merged threads)