RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Are Triple Beam LED headlights Adaptive?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-15, 08:56 AM
Rmayer99
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Triple Beam LED headlights Adaptive?

I'm looking at two options on the 2016 RX350 - one offers "Dual-Beam LED Headlamps with Adaptive Front Lighting System", and the more expensive one is labelled "Premium Triple-Beam LED Headlamps with Washers and Dynamic Auto-Leveling and LED Cornering Lamps". Does anyone know if the latter option, which costs $1K more, also includes the Adaptive technology? And all things being considered, would there be a reason to PREFER the cheaper option to the Triple Beam option, apart from saving money?

Thanks,

Rob from AZ
Old 11-11-15, 09:13 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Not in the historical sense. They are not going to move with steering angle. However theyre beam pattern is setup to compensate. The Led Fogs will act with the steering angle to light up to aid in cornering.
Old 11-11-15, 09:17 AM
Rmayer99
9th Gear

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Not in the historical sense. They are not going to move with steering angle. However theyre beam pattern is setup to compensate. The Led Fogs will act with the steering angle to light up to aid in cornering.
Thanks for the quick reply! Good, because help with cornering is exactly what I was hoping for - we have a lot of dark blind turns in my neighborhood.

Not that it seems like anything but the Triple LED option is available. One dealer told me EVERY Luxury level car in the country comes with that. So I'll just go with the flow.
Old 11-11-15, 09:47 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Does anyone know if the triple led lights as bright or brighter than the bi-Xenon lights? Are they as weak as led lights in the past?
Old 11-11-15, 10:21 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Rmayer99
Thanks for the quick reply! Good, because help with cornering is exactly what I was hoping for - we have a lot of dark blind turns in my neighborhood.

Not that it seems like anything but the Triple LED option is available. One dealer told me EVERY Luxury level car in the country comes with that. So I'll just go with the flow.
Not precisely. Thats a dealer blanket statement. I know that alot of the vehicles are actually comming with the adaptive LED system (looks like a xenon setup but inside its led).

In regards to brightness, IDK, both setups are LED based. Usually they are the brightest on the market, not the cheapo aftermarket led setup
Old 01-04-17, 08:31 PM
carfool
Driver School Candidate

Default IIHS verdict on Triple Beam v. dual adaptive LED headlights

Sorry to be late to the thread. I have been looking at replacing our 2004 RX330. In researching the 2017 series, I pulled the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety's recommendations on the RX line. The. IIHS has only recently started testing headlights and made the results part of its Top Safety Pick / Top Safety Pick+ recommendations. No manufacturers did well on the headlight testing, but this is new and it's reasonable to expect a lot of headlights will be redesigned for 2018 to keep vehicles at the top of the IIHS recommended lists. Of the 38 vehicles that earned the IIHS Top Safety+ rating, only 8 vehicles have lights that earn the top "Good" rating. On the RX, the Bi-LED Headlamps with Adaptive Front Lighting System package received the highest rating of all RX models, "A" for "Acceptable". By contrast the more expensive Premium Triple-Beam LED Headlamp package were rated "M" for "Marginal". Which was no better than the standard LED projector headlights, which also tested "M". IIHS printed the graphs showing the results.
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh...-door-suv/2017
Bottom line: the triple LED's are sharp looking, but work @ half as well for twice the price.
The industry has, according to IIHS, overlooked headlight standards for years because the federal standards have not changed. Expect redesigned headlights from all car makers who care about IIHS ratings, which is probably all of them. I may hold off buying anything until the 2018 features are announced.
Old 01-04-17, 08:35 PM
carfool
Driver School Candidate

Default No, the Triple Beam LED headlights are not adaptive

Or if they are, I've been unable to find anything saying so in the Lexus literature or in the descriptions of the dozens of RXs I have reviewed on dealer websites. Even if they are, see my previous post about the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety ratings of 2017 RX headlights.
Old 01-04-17, 08:57 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by carfool
Or if they are, I've been unable to find anything saying so in the Lexus literature or in the descriptions of the dozens of RXs I have reviewed on dealer websites. Even if they are, see my previous post about the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety ratings of 2017 RX headlights.
I have the triple beam. They are not adaptive. The fog lights have a cornering light that turns on at low speeds when you set the blinker or turn the wheel. The lights ramp on quick and slowly turn off after the wheels rotate back for straight ahead steering. The cornering lights serve to illuminate the side of the road and illuminate about 6 feet from the car front corner. They do not illuminate down the road on gradual turn. They are very handy to illuminate ditches, perpendicular street corners, and parking. Thing of them as a fog light that illuminates the front side of the car when turning at low speeds.
Old 01-05-17, 12:28 AM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Not adaptive. This is commonly confused with the "auto-leveling" feature, which is much less useful.

As @lexnewbi says, the cornering LEDs are very useful and bright but are only helpful for lower speed maneuvers.
Old 01-05-17, 04:05 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

there is a whole thread on this. It talks about the IHS issues with the triple beam's etc
Old 01-05-17, 09:31 AM
Lexus1998
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Being that triple beam are 3 lights in row the pattern to me seems wider from the ussual LED I had in loaner, but it can be my imaganation and maybe distance is further for LED ones.
To me its about the styling that triple beams give the car, I do miss the turning like the LED does but from style sense you can't beat the way triple beams look on or off.
Also keep in mind without the triple beam you give up the LED turn signals front and back the nice clean daytime running lights in front.
Old 01-05-17, 10:03 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

I have found the light pattern to be more than wide enough so adaptive would just be a waste. I love the triple LED on both of my Lexus.
Old 01-18-17, 04:54 PM
Bravo1010
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am a little confused. I do not have the triple LEDs. I see on the Lexus website an option for ' BI-LED HEADLAMPS WITH ADAPTIVE FRONT LIGHTING SYS ' for $400 which I do not see on my window sticker. So what LEDs do I have? Mine is fully loaded with all the safety packages. Am I missing something?

Also so are the the led daytime running lights (the swoosh below the light) not the same as on the stock lights. When a RX with the triple LEDs drives by I cannot see a difference?
Old 01-18-17, 05:22 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 507 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Bravo1010
I am a little confused. I do not have the triple LEDs. I see on the Lexus website an option for ' BI-LED HEADLAMPS WITH ADAPTIVE FRONT LIGHTING SYS ' for $400 which I do not see on my window sticker. So what LEDs do I have? Mine is fully loaded with all the safety packages. Am I missing something?

Also so are the the led daytime running lights (the swoosh below the light) not the same as on the stock lights. When a RX with the triple LEDs drives by I cannot see a difference?
The triple led is different than double led. Tripple leds do not come with adaptive lighting in North America.

The daytime running lights are also different. The triple led had lots more led lights plus the turn signal is led on triple leds.
Old 01-18-17, 06:26 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Bravo1010
Instead of looking like individual LEDs across the bottom, the Triple-beams have a continuous line look. Like already mentioned, there is an additional line of LEDs near the swoosh for turn signal.
The following users liked this post:
ggebhardt (11-03-17)

Quick Reply: Are Triple Beam LED headlights Adaptive?