RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

initial impression of 16 rx f sport

Old 11-08-15, 10:29 AM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default initial impression of 16 rx f sport

saw the vehicle for the first time today in showroom, my initial thought is, wow, the nx is timid in design compared to the rx.. i think they over did the design, the front end, the curves and edges.
it didnt meet my expectations visually but couple of nice things below

did a nice job with interior.
like the nav screen and position
nice comfy front seat and did great job with arm rest for support on left door
nice laser cut metal by cup holders yamaha is doing it and its nice
surprised at the control under vents for a/c felt plasticky it was only touch point not nice in interior

i am up in the air i think they will lose sales with this rx but if you combine nx and rx sales it will probably be ahead of just rx sales in past

a lot of people especially woman will be turned off with new design.
Old 11-08-15, 10:51 AM
hon3kong
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've seen a lot of young women driving the IS f sport and nx f sport. All with red seats. Kinda surprised women do like f sport. I guess its for the red seats?? So i dont think rx will lose sales by the new design, as long as f sport offer red seats lol
Old 11-08-15, 10:55 AM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

red seats have nothing to do with it,
the went over board with design they will sell a lot of them but the rx is not a good looking vehicle i am surprised lexus management went this route
in fact i would go so far to say the truck is polarizing and ugly and too big
Old 11-08-15, 11:10 AM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Question is do you like the 2015 design? Because personally I think it's absolutely boring as heck.
Old 11-08-15, 12:29 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

I agree with bearcat. The previous gen RX looks bland and boring. I think this new RX will sell just as well. Sure, initially it looks very polarizing, but I'm sure the look will grow on many when they see it in person. This new design language with the spindle grille and sharp lines has been doing well for Lexus sales. They are trying to appeal to younger buyers who will be their future, and seems to be a success.
Old 11-08-15, 12:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Styling is subjective, I saw it in person too and I think it looks much better in person. The RX has never been an overly attractive vehicle IMHO, I think this new one will do fine.
Old 11-08-15, 02:48 PM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Default as most know i am passionate about cars

stood in front of the vehicle of 5 minutes. inside for 15 and outside on side for 10
i was uninspired.
its awkward, too busy, not classy and the antithesis of the lexus brand
to all those that like it thats what makes the boards great opinions and thoughts

usually when i look at a design i get moved with it in a good way and find inspiration. when i recently saw the new 7 series i was fairly disappointed as well...

the new ls moved me from the photos thats a game changer vehicle...
Old 11-08-15, 02:52 PM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Default and forgot

to mention some nice things i saw on the interior

the position of the seat and the panoramic roof is great lots of air and sun for the driver and passenger

the curvature in front of cup holders is a nice change haven't seen the use of metal in a car before

the position of the 12.3 inch screen is farther back in the top of dash. if it was lit up i bet it would be great for ergonomics.

a lot of truck but also a lot of coin for this thing i don't think people that have the old one are going to trade it for 30 and put another 25k for new one

lease returns will be different i think they will re lease
Old 11-08-15, 04:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

I'll take that bet lol.

The 4RX will handily outsell the outgoing 3RX.
Old 11-08-15, 04:56 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ls430lover
to mention some nice things i saw on the interior

the position of the seat and the panoramic roof is great lots of air and sun for the driver and passenger

the curvature in front of cup holders is a nice change haven't seen the use of metal in a car before

the position of the 12.3 inch screen is farther back in the top of dash. if it was lit up i bet it would be great for ergonomics.

a lot of truck but also a lot of coin for this thing i don't think people that have the old one are going to trade it for 30 and put another 25k for new one

lease returns will be different i think they will re lease

base for base very slight difference in price for a lot better car and more equipment... now if you want loaded with all the gizmos never available before, yeah, you gonna pay.
Old 11-09-15, 07:51 AM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Default there

is a shimakou interior that is feisty from the weekend...
enjoy
Old 11-09-15, 09:27 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hon3kong
I've seen a lot of young women driving the IS f sport and nx f sport. All with red seats. Kinda surprised women do like f sport. I guess its for the red seats?? So i dont think rx will lose sales by the new design, as long as f sport offer red seats lol
What a dumb connection to make...

So if you go to a football game, and all the guys around you are drinking beer, it means every guy enjoys beer, right?
Old 11-09-15, 12:05 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

I don't dislike the look but think they could have made the nose a bit shorter. I also think the non-F Sport is better looking.

Ed
Old 11-09-15, 02:17 PM
quack724
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw 2016 RX in person. I am in the camp that really like the new styling.. especially the F sport. As others have said in other threads, the nose (IMHO) is much less pronounced in person.
Old 11-09-15, 03:10 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I dont know about you guys but where I am from the 2016 RXs are selling like hotcakes. Dealer called me two weeks ago to tell me they just got 4 2016 RXs delivered to their lot. 2 base models, 1 Fsport and 1 Hybrid. I was busy that week so could not come in to check it out but came in the dealer 1 week later and they told me they sold all of them and waiting on next batch of shipment. I think this new RX will sell well.

Maby people who were fans of the old 3RX may be put off by this new stying but next generation of Lexus buyers love this look and cant wait to ****** one up. Lexus WILL lose old customers but will also GAIN new customers in the process. Young customers who are making the money and feeding the economy, will buy this RX because they will be starting to have children and starting a family. Older customers are going to retire soon and need to watch their spending to maximize retirement money.

What lexus is doing is pure genius. 2 years ago I would have never considered an RX because it was for soccer moms and old people. The old RXs had that stigma for years now. Fast forward 2 years and now I am pre ordering mine as we speak. Never though I would ever consider buying an RX until now.

Last edited by AL13NV8D3R; 11-09-15 at 03:14 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: initial impression of 16 rx f sport