RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Disappointed new RX

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-15, 04:15 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ericsan13
My statement wasn't about which one was more appealing or the best. I was also saying that better is relative however sales is a very good indicator of what is 'better'. I am pretty sure a lot of people cross-shopped RX and X5 before making their decision.

Anyway I am cross shopping between them as well and here is what I'm looking at in terms of RX and X5 packages/options for comparison:

$55,645 2016 RX450h F SPORT
$800 Panoramic View Monitor and Blind Spot Monitor W/RCTA
$600 Color HUD
$2,250 Lexus Safety System+ with Premium Triple-Beam LED headlamps
$200 Touch-free Power Rear Door
$500 Panorama Moonroof
$1,510 12.3" display Navigation + Mark Levinson 15-speaker Sound System
$200 F SPORT Heated Steering Wheel
OPTIONS $6,060
TOTAL $61,705

The base X5 is missing a lot of options, but I think a good starting point is kwc_diesel's well equipped 2016 X5 xDrive35i for $60k (inlc. 10% discount) with the following options:
$2,550 Premium Package
$1,100 Luxury Line (includes choice of Satin Aluminum Roof Rails or Gloss Black Shadow Rails, you must specify this when ordering) 19" standard rims
$1,400 Driver Assistance Package
$1,700 Driver Assistance Plus
$500 Comfort Rear Seats
$250 Rear Manual Sunshades
$1,300 Harman Kardon Surround Sound
$550 Cold Weather Package
Here's what each one is missing:
-X5 missing 20" rims, a $950 option
-X5 missing multi contour seats & ventilated seats, a $1,350 package
-X5 Nappa Leather is a $1,950 package
-X5 lacks fuel economy =P
-RX missing heated rear seats, $840 package (but includes power rear seats)
-RX missing headlamp washers
-RX missing rear window shades
-RX lacks speed, RWD-bias =P
So the X5 can be further optioned out more than the RX, which is why some people will argue it to be the "best", but that means more money.

"Good at everything" versus "great at some things, poor at others" is a very subjective comparison. However on average, the RX appears to be the proven winner by sales. Anyway hopefully my shopping/rambling process helps...
Yes a comparably-equipped X5 is going to cost more than a comparably-equipped RX, but in life you get what you pay for. If you want the best, the ultimate driving machine, the nicest interior, the timeless styling that will draw heads, the best tech in the business, then it's going to cost what it'll cost. If a lot of that isn't a priority and you want a vehicle that is excellent value and good in a lot of areas then there is no alternative to the Lexus RX. It's a great vehicle and it's the #1 selling luxury vehicle in America for a reason. Ultimately, automobiles are a depreciating asset so it is wise to make logical buying decisions. The Lexus fits that mold.
Old 11-12-15, 07:47 PM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

A 3 yo BMW X5 has better interior materials ?? you must be on drugs ?lol seriously that is absurd . its not even close . And a Honda MDX is better ?? are you sure you drove the right car ? lol ...oh Wait ...and its slower than the previous model too ....just ridiculous comments
Old 11-13-15, 07:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,565 Likes on 1,849 Posts

Originally Posted by LordBowral
A 3 yo BMW X5 has better interior materials ?? you must be on drugs ?lol seriously that is absurd . its not even close . And a Honda MDX is better ?? are you sure you drove the right car ? lol ...oh Wait ...and its slower than the previous model too ....just ridiculous comments
A 3 year old X5 has better interior materials than a 3 year old RX yes. As to the new RX? I'd say they're as good. The new X5 that came out in 2014 is significantly nicer inside than the previous X5.

As to the MDX, yes its "slower" than the previous model, but its a 3 row family hauler...does anybody really care?
Old 11-13-15, 09:51 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I just finished reading 4 pages of "disappointment". LOL!
the problem is, buyers don't know what they want.
I said it before, and I will say it again.. Don't buy an SUV/CUV/SAV and expect it to drive like a sedan and curve corners.
you will be disappointed.

Don't get a crossover if you will do a lot of offroading ( the real one) not the Mall-soccer practice-home off roading that most people do.

when I need to haul, I don't take the RX.
but if I just need to move people, like most of the times, I use my RX
Old 11-13-15, 04:11 PM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by HTOWNE
You have the absolute right to make your comments, but I disagree 100%

I have a 2015 BMW X5 and just purchased a fully loaded 2016 RX350 AWD. I have owned both BMW and Lexus vehicles for the past 17 years.

The interior of the RX is superior to the X5. The ride is wonderful and the seats are so much more comfortable than the X5. For you to say that the seats are not that comfortable is 100% false.

For you to make a statement that navigation screen is too big is absolutely ridiculous. It is the best out there. There is no comparison.

I will not even discuss the MDX because it is not in the same league.
Then you must have a stripped down X5. I've got a 2015 X5 35d with Mocha Nappa leather, Leather dash and multi-countour seats. The new RX doesn't come close to the interior quality of my X5.

Glad I didn't wait as I was disappointed. Not to mention I'm getting 31mpg on my X5d.... Oh.. and I paid $63k for my X5 which listed for $70k. Good luck getting a discount on the RX for the next year....

I'm not a Lexus basher... owned 2 GX470's and loved em. If they would have introduced a diesel version of the GX, I'd been all over it. But the 2016 RX is ugly as well as underwhelming to drive....

Last edited by jugdish; 11-13-15 at 04:15 PM.
Old 11-13-15, 04:29 PM
HTOWNE
Rookie

Originally Posted by jugdish
Then you must have a stripped down X5. I've got a 2015 X5 35d with Mocha Nappa leather, Leather dash and multi-countour seats. The new RX doesn't come close to the interior quality of my X5.

Glad I didn't wait as I was disappointed. Not to mention I'm getting 31mpg on my X5d.... Oh.. and I paid $63k for my X5 which listed for $70k. Good luck getting a discount on the RX for the next year....

I'm not a Lexus basher... owned 2 GX470's and loved em. If they would have introduced a diesel version of the GX, I'd been all over it. But the 2016 RX is ugly as well as underwhelming to drive....
I don't have a stripped down version, but I do not have the nappa leather. My MSRP was $70,270. It is also not my first X5. The seats are not as comfortable as the RX. My husband drives the X5. I loved my 530, but I think the X5 is boring on the outside and inside. The inside has always been more or less the same. You cannot say that the screen on the RX is not cooler and situated in a better location than the BMW. I can see people thinking the RX is ugly, especially if they cannot look outside the box! It is unique and not the boring every day box you see. We are not going to all think alike. I have owned more BMW's than Lexus, but now will probably only get Lexus vehicles primarily due to reliability. The BMW did save my life when I got hit by a dump truck while I was at a stop sign and he was going 55 mph. However, BMW sucks in reliability. I never thought I would leave BMW and when I see the new 5 series next year, I might have to go back.

I don't understand why people that own a BMW feel like they have to defend it against the RX. You can't buy an X5 for $43,XXX and you can't buy a RX350 for $70,XXX plus. You cannot beat the smooth ride and reliability of the RX350. If you say you can, you are full of ****.

I also do not mind paying MSRP for a vehicle if that is what everyone is paying. I hate negotiating. I negotiate vehicles for my business, family, and friends. I paid MSRP for my 2014 Range Rover Sport when it was almost impossible to get one. It just makes it easy. When vehicles are heavily discounted, it is not usually a good sign.

Last edited by HTOWNE; 11-13-15 at 04:58 PM.
Old 11-13-15, 04:42 PM
Martin321
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jugdish

Are you not on Bimmerforums since you own a BMW? Have you not read about our carbon build up? CBA on diesel? People with their 14, 15 models mention spending weeks in the shop just with their X5 diesel. As a matter of fact, last time I checked cargurus I saw almost 15K-20K off for a 14 or 15 X5 diesel. Hope you are leasing because this issue will not be covered by BMW. Just wanted to let you know as I have been on their forums for the past 5 years.
Old 11-13-15, 04:57 PM
HTOWNE
Rookie

Originally Posted by Martin321
Are you not on Bimmerforums since you own a BMW? Have you not read about our carbon build up? CBA on diesel? People with their 14, 15 models mention spending weeks in the shop just with their X5 diesel. As a matter of fact, last time I checked cargurus I saw almost 15K-20K off for a 14 or 15 X5 diesel. Hope you are leasing because this issue will not be covered by BMW. Just wanted to let you know as I have been on their forums for the past 5 years.
It sounds like he got a bad deal for $63,000! When vehicles are heavily discounted, you have to wonder!
Old 11-13-15, 04:59 PM
barbking
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BrownPride
Yes a comparably-equipped X5 is going to cost more than a comparably-equipped RX, but in life you get what you pay for. If you want the best, the ultimate driving machine, the nicest interior, the timeless styling that will draw heads, the best tech in the business, then it's going to cost what it'll cost. If a lot of that isn't a priority and you want a vehicle that is excellent value and good in a lot of areas then there is no alternative to the Lexus RX. It's a great vehicle and it's the #1 selling luxury vehicle in America for a reason. Ultimately, automobiles are a depreciating asset so it is wise to make logical buying decisions. The Lexus fits that mold.
Hold your horses there with all the hyperbole. The ultimate driving machine is a marketing jargon created by the shrewd folks at BMW to get people to believe they are paying (over) for some ultimate driving machine. Reality is that, Bimmers are a commodity automobile product just like the rest of the cars the average car buyer can get. It's neither exotic or ultimate, leave that to the ultra rich. I have owned Bimmers before so I know what I am talking about, they drive well and give you some cheap thrills and if you overdo it then the flashing blue lights will be behind you before too long. Regarding draw heads, it depends on where you live, in my town, no one really bothers much about a BMW, pretty much anyone with a half decent job can lease one. Nicest interior - well, that's the first time I heard someone calling BMW interior nicer than Lexus. If anything it is spartan and the seats actually are hard, they have the same outdated looks for ages. Lastly, the tech can be really lousy. There are far too many electrical problems on these and they can fail without any notice even on a brand new car. I have had several failures on mine. You are right about one thing, they will cost you money, lots of it, in maintenance and repairs and they depreciate a lot quicker. BMW's a nice if you like to lease one and enjoy a bit of it for 3 years, then you give it back and get back to your Lexus or Toyota for long term ownership. This is why I own a Lexus and a Toyota now.

Last edited by barbking; 11-13-15 at 05:05 PM.
Old 11-13-15, 05:03 PM
Mike_1GO
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Having worked for Acura and driven the 15 MDX, I can say that the ride quality/comfort is well below that of an RX. The RX soaks up bumps and wafts over the road whereas the MDX rides like it has shocks from an 05 Accord...bump absorption is a complete failure.. same goes for a 14, 15 RLX. The TLX however rides a lot better. In terms of luxury, Lexus has always been and always will be steps above Acura.
Old 11-13-15, 05:28 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

This thread gets better and better.

Simple matter of the fact. If you cant handle the heat, dont play with fire.

Look at the end of the day, Lexus has something amazing going on with the RX. Its a Reliable Luxury Crossover, that basically costs nothing to own. With the L finesse etc design language its found an aggressive styling pattern that people are not running away from. They have also found what BMW has found with the M Sport moniker. Basically a design package plus maybe a stiffer ride then the base luxury RX. Its working wonders for the bottom line.

Would I say they have outdone the germans....hell no. The customization options, performance, and design (this one is subjective) has not been surpassed by Lexus. Lexus knows they wont get new customers by outdoing the germans (looking at you caddy). They want to get new customers without sacrificing (not too much at least) their current market dominance.

Also, I can rattle out RX, ML Q7, XC90, X5, Cayenne, T-egg, MDX, etc etc. Note that the reason these models all have annual sales, is because they are all good at something individually. Not one of those vehicles can be considered the most superior as its impossible to design a vehicle that appeals to every buyer. Hence the bickering about one vehicle is the king of them all is plain ridiculous.

Drive each car, viscerally experience each vehicle, and then come back and determine which one is better.

IMO:
Best Drivers CUV: Cayenne
Most Reliable: RX
Best Value Oriented Driver: X5
Safest Vehicle: XC90
Most Comfort oriented: ML
Best Bang For Buck Luxury: MDX
Wanna drive A Cayenne for half the price: T-Egg
Need A 7 Row with some driving creds: Q7

Again thats my lists, Im not gonna force anyone to agree with me lol
Old 11-13-15, 06:05 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber

Look at the end of the day, Lexus has something amazing going on with the RX. Its a Reliable Luxury Crossover, that basically costs nothing to own. With the L finesse etc design language its found an aggressive styling pattern that people are not running away from. They have also found what BMW has found with the M Sport moniker. Basically a design package plus maybe a stiffer ride then the base luxury RX. Its working wonders for the bottom line.

Would I say they have outdone the germans....hell no. The customization options, performance, and design (this one is subjective) has not been surpassed by Lexus. Lexus knows they wont get new customers by outdoing the germans (looking at you caddy). They want to get new customers without sacrificing (not too much at least) their current market dominance.

Also, I can rattle out RX, ML Q7, XC90, X5, Cayenne, T-egg, MDX, etc etc. Note that the reason these models all have annual sales, is because they are all good at something individually. Not one of those vehicles can be considered the most superior as its impossible to design a vehicle that appeals to every buyer. Hence the bickering about one vehicle is the king of them all is plain ridiculous.

Drive each car, viscerally experience each vehicle, and then come back and determine which one is better.

IMO:

Nice post. It makes sense. One thing that is clear is that the competition is good. As consumers we win and the vehicles keep getting better. What a time to be shopping for a CUV or SUV. if you can't find something you like, you might not be looking hard enough.
Old 11-13-15, 06:36 PM
Martin321
Driver

Originally Posted by coolsaber

IMO:

Don't underestimate the Germans, it is almost 2 seconds quicker then RX4, interior is just as nice. It is because Lexus is using a 10 year old engine, an updated one and its it is more reliable versus German turbos installed and innovation year after year, which could cause heating and engine problems in the longer term, Germans have better handling, acceleration and braking. Not that I am a fan boy of any brand.
Old 11-13-15, 06:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,565 Likes on 1,849 Posts

Originally Posted by HTOWNE
I don't have a stripped down version, but I do not have the nappa leather.
HUGE difference.

I don't understand why people that own a BMW feel like they have to defend it against the RX. You can't buy an X5 for $43,XXX and you can't buy a RX350 for $70,XXX plus. You cannot beat the smooth ride and reliability of the RX350. If you say you can, you are full of ****.
I don't have an X5 or an RX.

When vehicles are heavily discounted, it is not usually a good sign.
Just FYI, you do know that discounting on the RX is huge right? Lexus vehicles are more heavily discounted than BMW vehicles for sure.

Even the new RX, give it a few months and you'll be buying it for 10% under MSRP.
Old 11-13-15, 06:57 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin321
Don't underestimate the Germans, it is almost 2 seconds quicker then RX4, interior is just as nice. It is because Lexus is using a 10 year old engine, an updated one and its it is more reliable versus German turbos installed and innovation year after year, which could cause heating and engine problems in the longer term, Germans have better handling, acceleration and braking. Not that I am a fan boy of any brand.
Did we skim posts again? LOL

1) RX4 is not the same as the RX
2) I did not underestimate or overestimate the European offerings by my personal list. Read it when you have the time
3) Without pointing to independent studies of Long Term Reliability on FI engines vs NA engines, that statement is anecdotal at best. I.E I could make the claim that an FI engine would be more reliable since the demand on the engine is far greater. Higher Engineering Tolerances would need to be in place to make sure the engine components can handle demanding loads. But without factual evidence to support my claim, its anecdotal at best. If you are saying however that the the 2GR model line has been a tough workhorse, due to internal statistics of problems per 100K sold, then yea for sure I`d agree.

Quick Reply: Disappointed new RX