RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Disappointed new RX

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-15, 09:23 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Value is a relative thing, it depends on what your needs are. I drove the MDX, its a nice vehicle but its very plain, very Honda. The RX has more flair, its more nicely appointed inside. I personally wouldn't buy an MDX...
Very True!!!! Each buyer has specific needs they need to prioritize and the end result depends on the at the end of the day. MDX is too industrial IMO

Originally Posted by Bearcat
People need to stop comparing on size and dollars...serious. You do know you can buy a hunk of junk Escalade for $105k loaded right? Would I drive it? No. But it's got so much space!!! Yes, but it's a hunk of junk too. A Pilot has more room than an RX too, but would I drive one? No, it's mostly cheap plastic everywhere inside. A MDX is best to compare but it's just a better Honda but is nowhere near a Lexus in quality. I still own a 2005 RL thats still doing very well but it was also $50k 10 years ago. It just doesn't have the fit and finish of a Lexus, even an ES. I'm still gonna keep the RX for bad weather days since it only has 50k miles on it and drive the 450h on good days.
Ok Bearcat? RX and MDX trade blows equally, hence why they are always going to be compared (sorry to burst the reality distortion complex). Lexus and dealers know this as they have been clamoring Lexus replacing the GX with a crossover based 3 row SUV.
Escalade is an LX competitor
Old 11-09-15, 09:49 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Acuras in my opinion is a premium car brand and not a true Luxury brand like lexus. They dont even have a flagship vehicle. Dont even mention an RL its nowhere near the Lexus LS territory.

Acuras fit and finish is what keep bringing me back to Lexus. It sucks when plastic parts fall off while driving the car. Considering the car was brand new under 10k miles. Acuras are for people who cant afford real luxury cars.

Last edited by AL13NV8D3R; 11-09-15 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-09-15, 10:12 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
Acuras in my opinion is a premium car brand and not a true Luxury brand lile lexus. They dont even have a flagship vehicle. Dont even mention an RL its nowhere near the Lexus LS territory.

Acuras fit and finish is what keep bringing me back to Lexus. It sucks when plastic parts fall of while driving and car under 10k miles brand new. Acuras are for people who cant afford real luxury cars.
Id have disagree and agree. Agree with the fit and finish of the quality of materials is not on par with the 4th gen RX. 3rd gen RX ehh, is basically on par. Surprisingly the Canadian version of the MDX has better material quality.

Classify it out how you may the MDX is the biggest competitor to the RX. Buyers seems to flock to Acura and Lexus with the promise and trust of the brands in the long run.

Side note
In regards to the Acura being a premium brand its funny. People on Bimmerfest actually say the same thing about Lexus LOL.Acura=guissed up honda Lexus=gussied up Toyota
Old 11-10-15, 05:40 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Anyone who goes into a forum dedicated to a specific brand and bash that brand and praising the other brand is a forum TROLL. I can smell them a a mile away.

^ I agree with you, even though it doesn't bother me that someone is giving their opinion or knocking a specific model. However, what I don't understand is that the OP feels the need to bash the RX in his FIRST post on CL.

He registers on a Lexus forum to bash the RX. I mean seriously, in his very first post he feels the need to explain to RX loyalists (for the most part) how bad the RX is, and why the MDX is superior to the RX. Again, in his first post, on the RX forum.

Yes, I know this is a public forum and people can say what they like. But IMO when you sign up with the intention of bashing the model, you're just "stirring the pot".
Old 11-10-15, 07:59 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Acuras are for people who cant afford real luxury cars.
I don't really see a need for you to go there. When I bought my TSX, we cross shopped the IS, the C Series, and the 3 series of the time and preferred the TSX. What we could afford had nothing to do with it.

Same story when we bought our RX and cross shopped it with the MDX. They were the same price, so...

Last edited by JDR76; 11-10-15 at 08:07 AM.
Old 11-10-15, 08:52 AM
niklow
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

15 f sport owner here. Drove f sport and non, most reviews given here are pretty accurate...obviously it is a major upgrade from the 3rd gen - but i did expect the interior width to be a bit wider. Seats are definitely much better.

Id wait for a refresh and time when we can reduce $ as much as the 3rd gen.

* Edit. They still could have sped up the infotainment system a tad + added carplay or android...2016 already. < things i hate about lexus, they will improve it in a few years and will not be backwards compatible.
Old 11-10-15, 10:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by niklow
things i hate about lexus, they will improve it in a few years and will not be backwards compatible.
What car company, other than Tesla, improves their infotainment and makes those improvements backwards compatible? Nobody.
Old 11-10-15, 11:23 AM
HTOWNE
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ACEi
We have been waiting for this new model since July when we returned our BMX X5 after 3 years of lease. Finally we test-drove new RX today and this vehicle was not impressed to us at all

1. Interior is ok. 2012 X5 cabin still looks better
2. 13" screen NAV is to wide and 8.5" is too ugly
3. Handling is so soft. My current 2016 Acura MDX is wayyyy better
4. Seat is not that comfortable (compare to X5)

5. TOO EXPENSIVE. We chose FWD, Luxury package, 13" NAV, LED headlight..... = 59k? no discount at all.

My 2016 Acura MDX tech package with SH-AWD was only $45,200. I believe MDX is more fun to drive, roomy and have more power than new RX

-- There is no need pre-order new RX. My dealer told us if we wanted it, we could get it next week.

We decide not got buy new RX, instead we will be looking 2013-2014 LS460.
You have the absolute right to make your comments, but I disagree 100%

I have a 2015 BMW X5 and just purchased a fully loaded 2016 RX350 AWD. I have owned both BMW and Lexus vehicles for the past 17 years.

The interior of the RX is superior to the X5. The ride is wonderful and the seats are so much more comfortable than the X5. For you to say that the seats are not that comfortable is 100% false.

For you to make a statement that navigation screen is too big is absolutely ridiculous. It is the best out there. There is no comparison.

I will not even discuss the MDX because it is not in the same league.
Old 11-10-15, 01:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by HTOWNE
The interior of the RX is superior to the X5. The ride is wonderful and the seats are so much more comfortable than the X5. For you to say that the seats are not that comfortable is 100% false.
I just sat in a 4RX briefly, but I have two friends that have 2014 and 2015 X5s, and I can't agree with that statement, especially for the one friend that has the nappa leather and leather dash option in his X5. For an X5 with the base dakota leather, maybe...I might say its "as nice", but not nicer, and the X5 with the napa leather with the multi-contour seats and the leather dash and door panels is way nicer than the interior of the 4RX, and the seats are way better (the multi-contour seats).

Its a nice vehicle, but I'd still rather have an X5.
Old 11-10-15, 01:50 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,052 Likes on 689 Posts

Interesting post here. I have owned Acura's for over 30 years and about ten different models. I was averaging close to 40,000 miles a year. Six months ago I traded in my 2010 Acura RL which I really enjoyed driving for 90,000 miles. I bought a 2013 Es300h, my first Lexus. My wife was also Acura for 25 years and now has owned a SC430, RX350 and now a 2015 RX450h. Acura made, past tense, very nice cars. There is no way I was going to buy a two year old RLX even with it close to 50% less than new. They have had way to many recalls and tsb's on most of their newer models and terrible ratings. The newest J D Power initial quality survey has Acura 26/33 of car manufacturers. They are behind Mini and Volkswagen. Just a few years ago they were consistently in the top four. Something has happened over there. No comparison between the ride quality, fit and finish and maintenance of Lexus and Acura.
Old 11-10-15, 01:57 PM
kwc_diesel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HTOWNE
You have the absolute right to make your comments, but I disagree 100%

I have a 2015 BMW X5 and just purchased a fully loaded 2016 RX350 AWD. I have owned both BMW and Lexus vehicles for the past 17 years.

For you to make a statement that navigation screen is too big is absolutely ridiculous. It is the best out there. There is no comparison.

I will not even discuss the MDX because it is not in the same league.
Can you take a few pictures of your 2016 RX and 2015 X5 interior dashboards, door panels, or what you think is superior in comparison? The multi-contour comfort seats in the F15 X5 are very comfortable.

Interior design preference is highly subjective, to each their own opinion. I am still undecided whether to get the 2016RX. One interior aspect that is disappointing is the lack of wood panels on the dashboard (which was missing on the 3RX, but I really like it on my 2003 ES). The leather dash is very nice but both vehicles have that (assuming you paid for that X5 option). RX analog clock is nice. Center stack on the X5 is symmetrical vs asymmetrical on the RX, which is up to the buyer to prefer.
Old 11-10-15, 06:17 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I don't really see a need for you to go there. When I bought my TSX, we cross shopped the IS, the C Series, and the 3 series of the time and preferred the TSX. What we could afford had nothing to do with it.

Same story when we bought our RX and cross shopped it with the MDX. They were the same price, so...
it's just typical fanboyism on all forums. BMW and MB forum fanboys will say the same thing about Lexus not being a luxury brand as well.

i personally prefer the MDX over the 3RX, but have not had a chance to check out the new 4RX to compare the models.
Old 11-10-15, 08:57 PM
Martin321
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tea
it's just typical fanboyism on all forums. BMW and MB forum fanboys will say the same thing about Lexus not being a luxury brand as well.

i personally prefer the MDX over the 3RX, but have not had a chance to check out the new 4RX to compare the models.
You do realize you are comparing SAV in X5 to a Luxury RX. BMW forum members does not even think RX is in their own league, MDX is not even mentioned. BMW X5 competes against Landrover and Porche Macan type of cars.
Old 11-10-15, 09:08 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Martin321
You do realize you are comparing SAV in X5 to a Luxury RX. BMW forum members does not even think RX is in their own league, MDX is not even mentioned. BMW X5 competes against Landrover and Porche Macan type of cars.
I'm a self-admitted BMW guy and I'll confirm this as well. The Lexus RX is not even viewed in the same league as the X5 because frankly it isn't. Aside from say long-term reliability and cost of ownership, the X5 is superior to the RX in every way. And yes I am talking about the new RX which is just hitting dealers. I would even go as far as saying the facelifted E70 X5s (~ 2011 - 2014) are better in every way than this new RX.

As far as OP's claims about the Acura MDX being better, I don't buy that one bit. All Acura interiors are just slightly upgraded Hondas. I was just at an Acura dealership last month and spent some time with all their cars so I'm not kidding. Acura has found their own niche of customers: people who want Japanese reliability and a lot of value. I'm sure the MDX and RX are cross-shopped often, but there is no question that the RX is more luxurious, has better tech, and is more prestigious. Sure, it is no BMW, but it's leaps and bounds above the MDX.
Old 11-10-15, 09:17 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
I'm a self-admitted BMW guy and I'll confirm this as well. The Lexus RX is not even viewed in the same league as the X5 because frankly it isn't. Aside from say long-term reliability and cost of ownership, the X5 is superior to the RX in every way. And yes I am talking about the new RX which is just hitting dealers. I would even go as far as saying the facelifted E70 X5s (~ 2011 - 2014) are better in every way than this new RX.

As far as OP's claims about the Acura MDX being better, I don't buy that one bit. All Acura interiors are just slightly upgraded Hondas. I was just at an Acura dealership last month and spent some time with all their cars so I'm not kidding. Acura has found their own niche of customers: people who want Japanese reliability and a lot of value. I'm sure the MDX and RX are cross-shopped often, but there is no question that the RX is more luxurious, has better tech, and is more prestigious. Sure, it is no BMW, but it's leaps and bounds above the MDX.
Don't think you're thinking straight.

Quick Reply: Disappointed new RX