RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Pano roof and roof cross bars (merged threads)?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-15, 07:16 PM
joe311
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Pano roof and roof cross bars (merged threads)?

It appears that with the panorama roof, that you can not have cross bars installed since the roof opens close to the rails. can someone confirm this? I spoke to a salesman and they said it wouldn't be able to. i was hoping to add a ski rack on top later down the road to go skiing. So if that is the case i might have to put up something in the rear to hold em since nothing can be put on the roof.
Old 11-08-15, 01:56 AM
CaliTravel
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joe311
It appears that with the panorama roof, that you can not have cross bars installed since the roof opens close to the rails. can someone confirm this? I spoke to a salesman and they said it wouldn't be able to. i was hoping to add a ski rack on top later down the road to go skiing. So if that is the case i might have to put up something in the rear to hold em since nothing can be put on the roof.
Your salesman is incorrect. I drove one today with crossbars and the pano roof. They designed the bars to be way up high (and quite ugly...but functional). The crossbars give the sunroof plenty of clearance when opening and closing.
Old 11-08-15, 10:15 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

For a minute there I was Like damn Lexus engineers, why no roof rails. Almost every other mfg with a pano roof has them
Old 11-08-15, 05:13 PM
joe311
Rookie

It odd. I just got through with another sales guy and they said the same. It wouldn't make sense to have the aluminum roof rails and no cross bars. Is there clearance from the edge of the pano roof for the glass to go up and for the cross bar anchors? I'm see it will be a tight fit
Old 11-09-15, 02:47 PM
joe311
Rookie

so i'm getting mixed answers. The parts depart said he did some research and it fits all models. And in all models it's pretty vague about what trim it has like premium or luxury. I'm guessing all models would be fsport or hybrid. So I guess in time will sort all this out once they know more about the vehicle.
Old 12-03-15, 09:02 AM
joe311
Rookie

Default cross bars with panoramic roof?

I'm just curious if any one has cross bars installed with the panoramic roof. I'm having a hard time seeing how it will fit with a panoramic roof since there is very little clearance between where the panoramic roof comes up and the aluminum rails to where the cross bar will fit. If anyone has any pictures of it i would most appreciate it, especially one with the roof opened with the cross bars, since the panoramic roof is large width and comes up instead of in through the roof.
Old 12-03-15, 05:21 PM
litzdog911
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ight=cross+bar
Old 01-07-16, 07:07 PM
COskier
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus RX450H with pano sunroof engineering flaw

Originally Posted by joe311
I'm just curious if any one has cross bars installed with the panoramic roof. I'm having a hard time seeing how it will fit with a panoramic roof since there is very little clearance between where the panoramic roof comes up and the aluminum rails to where the cross bar will fit. If anyone has any pictures of it i would most appreciate it, especially one with the roof opened with the cross bars, since the panoramic roof is large width and comes up instead of in through the roof.
I was sold a 2016 Lexus RX450H F Sport with a pano roof and told that the cross bars were on back order. A couple of weeks later the salesman tells me that cross bars won't work with the pano roof. I met with the Sales Manager and was told that I was the 2nd person the dealership sold a 2016 model with a pano roof before the sales team realized this limitation. I am a skier, biker and outdoor enthusiast and bought a "sport utility vehicle" to haul my equipment around Colorado. I'm told that Lexus will never have cross bars to fit this model. Hard to believe that some design engineer messed up by not having a high enough rail and cross bar combination to work on this car. I am not going to hope that Thule or Yakima will come
out with a solution. I'm meeting the dealership tomorrow to see if they will trade in the vehicle for one without a pano roof. I will post an update once I know the answer.
Old 01-08-16, 01:01 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by COskier
I was sold a 2016 Lexus RX450H F Sport with a pano roof and told that the cross bars were on back order. A couple of weeks later the salesman tells me that cross bars won't work with the pano roof. I met with the Sales Manager and was told that I was the 2nd person the dealership sold a 2016 model with a pano roof before the sales team realized this limitation. I am a skier, biker and outdoor enthusiast and bought a "sport utility vehicle" to haul my equipment around Colorado. I'm told that Lexus will never have cross bars to fit this model. Hard to believe that some design engineer messed up by not having a high enough rail and cross bar combination to work on this car. I am not going to hope that Thule or Yakima will come
out with a solution. I'm meeting the dealership tomorrow to see if they will trade in the vehicle for one without a pano roof. I will post an update once I know the answer.
Alternatively...you can keep your car and get a trailer hitch mounted rack such as the owner of the NX below:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...-w-photos.html
Old 01-08-16, 04:31 AM
COskier
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dchar
Alternatively...you can keep your car and get a trailer hitch mounted rack such as the owner of the NX below:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...-w-photos.html
No thanks - I also have a Yakima Rocketbox I sometimes use, and I don't want the extra vehicle length to contend with when parallel parking in the city. A roof rack worked great on my last RX450H, my Acura MDX etc. I bought an SUV
- Lexus designers just weren't thinking.......
Old 01-08-16, 06:40 AM
Lubber
Rookie

The bottom line IMO is that the dealership told you it would work with the roof rack and it won't. They should let you trade it for one that will work without you losing any money in the deal.
Old 01-08-16, 12:54 PM
SFocLA
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This is one of the biggest flaws of the pano roof as I mentioned in the good/bad discovery thread.

My Audi Q5s that I have had over the last 6 years had the cross bar option. Simple design all they needed to do is create indents sections on each side of the bars for the cross bars to mount up top. I have no idea why lexus created two different roof racks for the RX.

I am sure in the future they will change it. Until then the rest of us have to wait for Thule or Yakima to come up with a solution.
Old 01-11-16, 09:47 PM
SFocLA
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to harp on this subject but I wish I knew this info prior to getting the panoramic roof.

BUYER BEWARE: Cross bars will not work anytime soon OEM or aftermarket. If you want to have a cargo box or any accessory up top, do not get the pano roof. 1) does not have inserts on rails 2) no one makes an option

After comparing my Q5 and GLE350 I noticed RX panoramic roof pops up higher when open. While the Q5 roof opens up and sits more parallel to the roof, the RX does not. RX would require a much higher clearance cross bar because its opens/sits at an angle.

Both Thule and Yakima do not have options for 2015 NX Pano roof, which gives me 0 hope for the 2016 RX.
Old 01-11-16, 11:41 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

I got the crossbars on my standard moonroof car... Here's the OEM instructions that came with them and i scanned them into my PC. Look at bottom under "Conflicts"

Old 01-17-16, 12:30 AM
ghermes
Driver School Candidate

Default Extremely Disappointed

Originally Posted by SFocLA
Sorry to harp on this subject but I wish I knew this info prior to getting the panoramic roof.

BUYER BEWARE: Cross bars will not work anytime soon OEM or aftermarket. If you want to have a cargo box or any accessory up top, do not get the pano roof. 1) does not have inserts on rails 2) no one makes an option

After comparing my Q5 and GLE350 I noticed RX panoramic roof pops up higher when open. While the Q5 roof opens up and sits more parallel to the roof, the RX does not. RX would require a much higher clearance cross bar because its opens/sits at an angle.

Both Thule and Yakima do not have options for 2015 NX Pano roof, which gives me 0 hope for the 2016 RX.
Just learned that I can not order/use cross bars on the RX350 F Sport that I just reserved. The internet manager, working for Lexus for 14 years, did not know that the cross bars would not work with the pano roof. I specifically requested the rails and he said he would add them to the port options on the perfect car they already had on order. The car is due in late Feb. Now he tells me the cross bars can't be added since they do not fit with the pano roof. Now I have to do without one of the primary options I wanted or re-order the car without the pano roof, starting from scratch. I am very disappointed that Lexus does not offer a solution for this issue. No cross bars available on an SUV. Really? Plus their sales personnel don't seem to have a clue!

Quick Reply: Pano roof and roof cross bars (merged threads)?