RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Pano roof and roof cross bars (merged threads)?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-16, 09:30 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by daffydd
Yes, thanks. The only Thule dealers in my area are bicycle shops, but I'll check them out anyway. I was hoping to hear from someone who would say "I have Thule (or Yakima) on my pano-roof RX 350 and..." No such luck.
Here you go:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...c-sunroof.html

Note, in the pics he took, he has the crossbars installed backwards.....I think he fixed it later...
Old 08-31-16, 08:59 AM
SFocLA
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, thanks. The only Thule dealers in my area are bicycle shops, but I'll check them out anyway. I was hoping to hear from someone who would say "I have Thule (or Yakima) on my pano-roof RX 350 and..." No such luck.

Originally Posted by skiracer
Here you go:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...c-sunroof.html

Note, in the pics he took, he has the crossbars installed backwards.....I think he fixed it later...

Yupppppp

Last edited by kitlz; 08-31-16 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-31-16, 05:49 PM
gfgolden
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, ¼ inch of clearance explains the incompatibility. With a load of a few pounds the cross-bars would deflect and strike the glass roof. So the question remains--any alternatives
to the Lexus cross-bars that will provide a few inches of clearance?
Factory does work.
Old 08-31-16, 06:18 PM
daffydd
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Pano roof and roof cross bars?

Originally Posted by gfgolden
Factory does work.
Thanks. I want to believe you, want you to be right. Lexus USA, Toyota, and dealerships say no. My dealership refused to attempt to install cross-bars "on instructions from Lexus USA." Furthermore, Lexus would not accept responsibility for damage to the vehicle caused by self-installing against Lexus USA advice. 2016 RX 350's with the pano roof come undrilled for cross-bars, standard sunroofs come drilled. One person here reports ¼" clearance with a 1 lb. ham radio antenna mounted. A 60-lb load would deflect the crossbars and put the weight on the glass, likely smashing the pano glass upon hitting a bump at speed. Not willing to risk that. Will visit a Thule dealer tomorrow to see in person what they offer.

Last edited by daffydd; 09-02-16 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 09-01-16, 11:07 AM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Here's the instructions for the OEM cross bars. See section titled "Conflicts"

Old 09-01-16, 01:05 PM
daffydd
Driver

Default Pano roof and roof cross bars?

Here's the instructions for the OEM cross bars. See section titled "Conflicts"

There's the smoking gun! I ordered a Thule cross-bar set today from a Bike Doctor dealer in Annapolis. $622.28, including installation, not including a carrier of any sort, which I shall choose after seeing the cross-bars in place. This cross-bar fiasco is my first complaint about my 2016 RX 350; it is inexcusable that they would ship a model with a set of roof rails installed that cannot be used for Lexus OEM cross-bars.

Last edited by daffydd; 09-01-16 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Error
The following 2 users liked this post by daffydd:
Curlyal (01-04-24), Vlad6525 (03-22-24)
Old 09-17-16, 08:29 AM
Capaccio
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks

i recently purchased a 2016 RX350 with pano roof and have been looking for a rack system for my Yakama spacecase. I understand that Lexus IS telling dealers not to endorse rack systems on this model because of issues with weight on the glassroof. Any thoughts?
Old 09-17-16, 08:39 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 507 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Capaccio
i recently purchased a 2016 RX350 with pano roof and have been looking for a rack system for my Yakama spacecase. I understand that Lexus IS telling dealers not to endorse rack systems on this model because of issues with weight on the glassroof. Any thoughts?
I'm not aware of the weight issue. I have heard of the interference with the panoramic sunroof in it's open state.

Is your dealer telling you that?
Old 09-17-16, 09:40 AM
daffydd
Driver

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
I'm not aware of the weight issue. I have heard of the interference with the panoramic sunroof in it's open state.
Is your dealer telling you that?
No, the dealer wasn't aware of the incompatibility until they looked at the installation instructions. The service dep't took the trouble of confirming the incompatibility with Lexus USA.
Old 09-29-16, 03:35 PM
liuzzom
Driver School Candidate

Why did you install two different rails (7602 and -03)? Is the difference in length a factor?
Old 10-04-16, 04:32 AM
SFocLA
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by liuzzom
Why did you install two different rails (7602 and -03)? Is the difference in length a factor?
Actually I just checked Thule website and it looks like they changed it to where you can order (2) 7602 and no longer need -03.Product textPriceQuantityTotalSubtotal $539.85
Thule AeroBlade Edge 7602
Sku number : 7602$219.95$439.90Delete

Thule Fit Kit KIT4072
Sku number : KIT4072$99.95
Old 10-04-16, 05:21 AM
daffydd
Driver

ROOF RACKS WASTE 100 MILLION GALLONS OF GAS NATIONWIDE
http://www.motortrend.com/news/roof-...se-nationwide/
By that logic, carrying passengers and other loads also wastes petrol. If one needs a roof rack to carry a load then the extra fuel used is simply part of the cost of carrying the load.
The following users liked this post:
exonw (03-23-21)
Old 10-04-16, 10:14 AM
jimos
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By that logic, carrying passengers and other loads also wastes petrol. If one needs a roof rack to carry a load then the extra fuel used is simply part of the cost of carrying the load.
The issue isn't folks using their racks. It's the 99.99% of the unused racks that are just increasing drag and consuming gas. This is similar to the vampire power before initiatives and regulations.

Rails don't seem to have as much an impact and many cars come with rails and no cross racks. This is actually a win/win since it allows manufacturers/dealers to sell a high priced addon that helps pay and profit from all the cars having rails.

Besides looks, the low profile racks may also have an aerodynamic benefit over older designs.

Recommendations to remove the racks when not used are well meaning, but IMO, largely ineffective, since it's so much trouble to remove/install the racks that most people won't do it. Maybe they'll get smart and design racks that can be tucked away when not used.

Last edited by jimos; 10-04-16 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-04-16, 10:52 AM
daffydd
Driver

Originally Posted by jimos
The issue isn't folks using their racks. It's the 99.99% of the unused racks that are just increasing drag and consuming gas. This is similar to the vampire power before initiatives and regulations.
Rails don't seem to have as much an impact and many cars come with rails and no cross racks. This is actually a win/win since it allows manufacturers/dealers to sell a high priced addon that helps pay and profit from all the cars having rails.
Besides looks, the low profile racks may also have an aerodynamic benefit over older designs.
Recommendations to remove the racks when not used are well meaning, but IMO, largely ineffective, since it's so much trouble to remove/install the racks that most people won't do it. Maybe they'll get smart and design racks that can be tucked away when not used.
Valid points, all. But if you need 'em, you need 'em. I have a pair of Thule crossbars on order for one-time use--a trip with four people to photograph the solar eclipse in August of next year. The back end will be full of astronomy gear and the clothing will go in the roof pod. Once the crossbars are installed—this month, I've been promised—I'll see how much (or how little) I like their looks and the added wind noise and how they affect my current 20mpg (2016 RX350, AWD). If I'm not happy I'll remove them and reinstall them at the time of the trip. After the trip someone will be able to buy them cheap.

Last edited by daffydd; 11-10-20 at 06:55 AM.
Old 10-04-16, 11:03 AM
jwigley
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So my understanding is that there are no roof racks for the 2016 RX that allow the panoramic roof to fully open? Am I correct?

Quick Reply: Pano roof and roof cross bars (merged threads)?