RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Pano roof and roof cross bars (merged threads)?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-16, 10:22 AM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Dude you need to insulate that garage of yours!
Old 01-30-16, 10:53 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Bearcat
Dude you need to insulate that garage of yours!
Why?
It isn't attached to the house.
Old 01-30-16, 04:30 PM
RobBlack
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I looked at some rails at the dealer. The bolts in the crossbars that key in with the holes in the standard moonroof rails can be removed. Once you do this the crossbars can work as a basic "pinch" design on the factory rails. The "keying" bolts/pins are lightly threaded into the bracket. Converting to the pinch design makes them similar to previous aftermarket designs by Yakima and Thule

My guess is that Lexus did this for a few reasons. They are not confident in loading up a Pano roof with weight. So they decided not to allow the OEM rails to work therefore leaving up to aftermarket compaines to design thier own pinch style. Also ovbiously the Pano roof, when opened, will hit.

They still leave you the option, at your own risk, to use thiers (keying bolts removed) or go aftermarket in the future relieving them of any liability.

Modifying the crossbars will allow you to position anywhere not just the pre drilled locations.

I personally dont plan on putting on much weight on the roof, just a paddle board or a snowboard. You should evaluate your own situation.

I also dont own an RX....yet....beacuse I love the Pano roof and not having roof storage capability was a deal breaker. Not a deal breaker anymore!

What do you guys think?
Old 01-30-16, 04:52 PM
magpullin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RobBlack
So I looked at some rails at the dealer. The bolts in the crossbars that key in with the holes in the standard moonroof rails can be removed. Once you do this the crossbars can work as a basic "pinch" design on the factory rails. The "keying" bolts/pins are lightly threaded into the bracket. Converting to the pinch design makes them similar to previous aftermarket designs by Yakima and Thule

My guess is that Lexus did this for a few reasons. They are not confident in loading up a Pano roof with weight. So they decided not to allow the OEM rails to work therefore leaving up to aftermarket compaines to design thier own pinch style. Also ovbiously the Pano roof, when opened, will hit.

They still leave you the option, at your own risk, to use thiers (keying bolts removed) or go aftermarket in the future relieving them of any liability.

Modifying the crossbars will allow you to position anywhere not just the pre drilled locations.

I personally dont plan on putting on much weight on the roof, just a paddle board or a snowboard. You should evaluate your own situation.

I also dont own an RX....yet....beacuse I love the Pano roof and not having roof storage capability was a deal breaker. Not a deal breaker anymore!

What do you guys think?
Good to hear. This is what I plan on doing too.....
Old 03-10-16, 05:07 PM
Flash916
Driver School Candidate

Any updates on this? I just got a 2016 with the pano roof and really would like to put on the stock crossbars as they look the best by far. Has anyone tried installing them without the bolts?
Old 04-22-16, 08:13 PM
SFocLA
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Thule Crossbars on Panoramic Sunroof

Sorry for multiple threads, but here it is at last.

Cross bar / Roof Rack option that works for ALL RX with factory flush rails, especially clutch for pano roof owners because this allows opening and closing without a problem since Lexus did not make this option possible. Just remember whatever you plan to load up top, don't open your pano roof as when it is fully open the glass rises higher than bars. I plan to tape my sunroof button every time use my Thule cargo box up top.

Install time: Less than 30 mins
Difficulty level 1-10: 1

Yes the crossbars don't look as clean as without but having the option and functionality outweigh the slight change in appearance.

Couple things to note:
1) as of right now Thule is the only company that has made aftermarket crossbars for 4th gen RX
2) 3 options from Thule for crossbars: 2 types of Aeroblade,and Squarebar

Below are pictures of installed: Thule AeroBlade Edge 7603, Thule AeroBlade Edge 7602, KIT4072

REVISED: Oct 2016 Thule website shows you can also just order (2) Thule AeroBlade Edge 7602, no longer needed to have 7603. I only saw this because I am selling my Thule crossbars on ebay now!

**Remember the longer bar goes up front which is the 7603.
**In the pics my bars are facing the wrong way, the grip part of the bar should be facing forward. Too lazy to retakes pics. Thanks Skiracer for attention to detail!

I maybe the first one in history to have installed this!! #first

Front center of each bar max distance between both bar in the manual stated 32 inches, I set mine at 30 inches.

I got lucky with the back drop as I installed these after work.

Front the front rail to the front of the first cross bar I measured 11 inches. Just set the bars loose and then adjust accordingly.

30 inches center to center.

Last edited by SFocLA; 10-04-16 at 04:30 AM.
Old 04-22-16, 08:22 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Looks great, is it the same part numbers for pano and non-pano roofs?
Old 04-22-16, 08:37 PM
SFocLA
Driver

Originally Posted by skiracer
Looks great, is it the same part numbers for pano and non-pano roofs?
Yes same, will clarify on original post. Thanks!
Old 04-23-16, 02:41 PM
Flash916
Driver School Candidate

Looks great! I've been waiting for you to post your results. Planning on getting the same system for mine. We will be twins with my white F sport! Which bike rack are you using? I've read some bad reviews about the Thule sprint bike carrier.
Old 04-23-16, 08:08 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Waiting for someone to comment on the install pictures....
Old 04-23-16, 10:04 PM
SFocLA
Driver

Originally Posted by Flash916
Looks great! I've been waiting for you to post your results. Planning on getting the same system for mine. We will be twins with my white F sport! Which bike rack are you using? I've read some bad reviews about the Thule sprint bike carrier.
TWINS! Bike rack I will be using will be from the hitch- Thule T2 Pro, best one the market and best one I've own in my years. Previously I worked in the sporting equip industry so I got to test a lot of products. Roof rack for me is really for Thule cargo box and for anytime my wife decides to go crazy at Ikea I have the ability to use the roof.

I mainly ride mountain bikes so I prefer to keep the wheels on when transporting for several reasons. I used to Thule 594x Sidearm on the roof on my previous sedan which was basically the same as the hitch T2 that was flawless. Now the T2 Pro which is the updated version is 10x better. If you put a bike rack up top, for sure you will not be able to use the pano roof anytime. Roof is great, but one mistake of forgetting your bike is up top, you're really screwed.

Last edited by SFocLA; 04-23-16 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-24-16, 07:44 AM
john221us
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Thule rack looks great. The factory bars don't need to line up with the holes, though. They come with a tork wrench for clamping them in different spots. It just says it isn't as strong, though it seems petty sturdy to me. I have only used it for skis so far. I put my bikes on the hitch rack as well. It is easier than hucking them on top of the car.
Old 04-24-16, 09:09 AM
SFocLA
Driver

Originally Posted by john221us
The Thule rack looks great. The factory bars don't need to line up with the holes, though. They come with a tork wrench for clamping them in different spots. It just says it isn't as strong, though it seems petty sturdy to me. I have only used it for skis so far. I put my bikes on the hitch rack as well. It is easier than hucking them on top of the car.
Do you have more pics of the factory racks attached for the different spots?

Thanks for the info.
Old 04-24-16, 08:50 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SFocLA
Do you have more pics of the factory racks attached for the different spots?

Thanks for the info.
I tried attaching the crossbars to various other mounting points on the rack and it works out good. You just need to adjust the crossbars by making them eiither longer or shorter depending on whereabouts on the rails they're mounted. I can't post pics directly from my Google album, but here is a pic of the cross rails accidentally mounted on the mounting dimples directly above the moonroof. I later moved them back one position which is what the instructions manual stated and barely enough gap to support my Thule cargo box

Here's the mounting point recommended by the instruction manual and you'll see its mounted one position behind the moonroof now

Old 04-28-16, 08:58 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

ROOF RACKS WASTE 100 MILLION GALLONS OF GAS NATIONWIDE

http://www.motortrend.com/news/roof-...se-nationwide/

Quick Reply: Pano roof and roof cross bars (merged threads)?