RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Cross-shopping the Volvo XC90 and Audi Q7 -- sell me on the RX

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-19, 07:56 AM
PotOdds
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Interesting. CR gets hundreds, thousands of independent car data to come up with their final rankings. Perhaps they did not get enough data for one model versus other. They are heavily scrutinized. Have been doing it for many years. I'm sure someone who have exposed them by now if they were faking numbers.

Originally Posted by ravenuer
I remember some oddities, like an identical Dodge/Plymouth model having different scores, but otherwise no one has ever prevailed in a lawsuit against CR involving their ratings, as far as I know.
Old 03-05-19, 05:24 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The question you have to ask is...how many buyers really care if it lasts "decades"? XC90, Q7 are both vehicles that are considerable steps up from the RX in terms of product quality and drive quality, personally I'll make that tradeoff and perhaps one will only last A decade instead of "decades". In any event, I won't have it more than 3-4 years anyways.
While i agree long term reliability is only relevant to the number of years you plan to own it, but seeing the owners on 90 forums have issues from day 1, and then double digit inservice bay hours, buybacks, or heck even defective vehicles out the factory doors on European Delivery trips....idk

Again that is the price of being a pioneer in the segment. Truth be told, the 18 builds are apparently much better, but 2 whole MY of issues is a HUGE. Toyota usually nips things in the buds after the first MY
Old 03-05-19, 06:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

As an example, I have a coworker who has a new $120k SVR Range Rover Sport. Its been in the shop 9 weeks for heated seats that dont work. I would drown myself lol
Old 03-05-19, 06:46 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 132 Likes on 122 Posts

As an example, I have a coworker who has a new $120k SVR Range Rover Sport. Its been in the shop 9 weeks for heated seats that dont work. I would drown myself lol
Couple jokes about Land Rovers, "their drivers never say Hello when they come across on the street because they met already at the service department.
Land Rover drivers have two of them. One is in the shop, one he drives. Many times it quits when they were going home after picking up brand new one
from the dealer.
Old 03-05-19, 06:52 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 132 Likes on 122 Posts

[QUOTE=Cocal;10455586]
Originally Posted by Htony

I agree with the Audi service, have friends who have them, Before my RX I hd a MB E350 and it was expensive enough to service, but way better than Audi/BMW.
The main reason why I went with the RX is that I will never buy a vehicle that doesn't have a rear yellow-amber signal light, to me it's a deal breaker as it is a very important unit in the safety factor.
Since 2010 MB changed to all red signal lights, so it was out. OF whatever else was left for me to try the RX was head & shoulders above all others.
Interesting about the color, some years ago all fire engines were changed to yellow and now they are back to red....
Old 03-06-19, 04:05 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,052 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
Couple jokes about Land Rovers, "their drivers never say Hello when they come across on the street because they met already at the service department.
Land Rover drivers have two of them. One is in the shop, one he drives. Many times it quits when they were going home after picking up brand new one
from the dealer.
Baffles my mind how someone would buy a Land Rover and spend all that money after knowing their horrible dependability. Can say the same for Jaguar, Fiat, Volvo etc. Lexus has been #1 for eight straight years. This and the low cost maintenance are two of the three main reasons I buy Lexus. The third being like the looks both interior and exterior.

Old 03-06-19, 06:23 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Freds430
Baffles my mind how someone would buy a Land Rover and spend all that money after knowing their horrible dependability. Can say the same for Jaguar, Fiat, Volvo etc. Lexus has been #1 for eight straight years. This and the low cost maintenance are two of the three main reasons I buy Lexus. The third being like the looks both interior and exterior.
I think the answer is obvious, what vehicle has the same presence and design of an LR thats reliable, say from Lexus? I`ll wait lol.
Old 03-06-19, 07:12 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 465 Likes on 354 Posts

I'll have to assume he's got a loaner!
Old 03-06-19, 09:51 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,331 Likes on 1,684 Posts

Originally Posted by ravenuer
I'll have to assume he's got a loaner!
They will give him back the car in July and tell him the heated seats have been repaired.

The following users liked this post:
coolsaber (03-06-19)
Old 03-06-19, 05:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
I think the answer is obvious, what vehicle has the same presence and design of an LR thats reliable, say from Lexus? I`ll wait lol.
Thats really what it is. Its a stunning vehicle. Nothing Lexus makes comes anywhere close. I can understand the desire to roll the dice on one.
Old 03-07-19, 08:43 AM
shadowmite
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Ironically, my RX450h spent 1.5 months at the Lexus dealership for 2 non-working seat heaters in the front. Drivers side had no thermostat and any "on" setting went right to 140 degrees which is way too hot and burns. The passenger side had no thermostat control and any "on" setting went to 70 degrees which was worthless. The dealer couldn't believe it, but agreed to replace them and there it sat at first because they had to wait on parts. and then because the procedure was so ugly they didn't want to do it. when finally done they scratched the hell out of the car and had to send it to the body shop to be fixed.
Old 03-08-19, 12:24 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 465 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by shadowmite
Ironically, my RX450h spent 1.5 months at the Lexus dealership for 2 non-working seat heaters in the front. Drivers side had no thermostat and any "on" setting went right to 140 degrees which is way too hot and burns. The passenger side had no thermostat control and any "on" setting went to 70 degrees which was worthless. The dealer couldn't believe it, but agreed to replace them and there it sat at first because they had to wait on parts. and then because the procedure was so ugly they didn't want to do it. when finally done they scratched the hell out of the car and had to send it to the body shop to be fixed.
Geez, I wouldn't think seat heaters would be all that complicated. And they scratched your car putting them in?
Old 03-08-19, 04:57 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by shadowmite
How does a dealer mess up so bad, you need to get into a body shop after interior repairs LOL? I guess when service bays are rarely used, techs get caught off guard :P