RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Adaptive High Beam gone for 2016 RX?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-15, 03:49 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Adaptive High Beam gone for 2016 RX?

Looking at the Lexus factory specs and options that were released on their site, I only see now where it says Automatic high beam (meaning turns to low via oncoming vehicle), but at NY Auto show they mentioned Adaptive High Beam System which is so much more advanced. Did they remove this from the available options or do you think it still may be an option? Anyone?
Old 09-22-15, 06:09 PM
macdee
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bearcat
Looking at the Lexus factory specs and options that were released on their site, I only see now where it says Automatic high beam (meaning turns to low via oncoming vehicle), but at NY Auto show they mentioned Adaptive High Beam System which is so much more advanced. Did they remove this from the available options or do you think it still may be an option? Anyone?
It's available as a maker option for all 4RX models in Japan.
Hopefully just forgot to mention?
Old 09-24-15, 04:14 PM
winsalem
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

I remember that our family cars in the 50's & 60's had what they called an "electric eye" that turned your high beams on and off. It was a spacey-age looking "bullet" on the dashboard and used to fascinate me as a kid:

http://www.kingoftheroad.net/59olds/.../59Olds201.jpg

I also remember that sometimes while driving in town it would start flicking high beams on and off...maybe street lights triggered it...and my dad would manually keep low beams on until we were on the highway.

Bearcat, can you help me/us understand the diff between adaptive vs automatic high beam?
Old 09-24-15, 06:01 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

premium leds also have advanced automatic high beam i believe... all with LSS+ get normal auto high beam. If i remember correctly, they call them both automatic high beam in Lexus EU press release, and then go into detail for advanced one..

winsalem: simper sistem turns off high beams when it detects street lights or other vehicles, while advanced system blocks/turns off portion of the light that would blind other drivers but keep other part lighting your side of the road...it also acts differently in the city vs open road and lights the intersections and turns better.
Old 09-24-15, 06:22 PM
macdee
Driver

Originally Posted by winsalem
I remember that our family cars in the 50's & 60's had what they called an "electric eye" that turned your high beams on and off. It was a spacey-age looking "bullet" on the dashboard and used to fascinate me as a kid:

http://www.kingoftheroad.net/59olds/.../59Olds201.jpg

I also remember that sometimes while driving in town it would start flicking high beams on and off...maybe street lights triggered it...and my dad would manually keep low beams on until we were on the highway.

Bearcat, can you help me/us understand the diff between adaptive vs automatic high beam?
This video has a rather nice demo on how both work:

( placed to start at adaptive high beam, but feel free to rewind to start )

That video is for LS, and it uses a different approach (shutter-based). On RX, they use an 11-part LED module to do the same, and with more flexibility.

Lexus has a video with 4RX and Adaptive HB system, but it is not very well made at all and doesn't show-off the technology clearly.
But if you're like to have a look:

(again, both automatic and adaptive high beam stuff there as well)
Old 09-24-15, 07:41 PM
winsalem
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks Macdee...the LS video explains it all. And of course, we all deserve the ADAPTIVE!! Hope it's offered.
Old 09-25-15, 12:24 PM
Martin321
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by winsalem
Thanks Macdee...the LS video explains it all. And of course, we all deserve the ADAPTIVE!! Hope it's offered.
Adaptive head lamps are illegal in USA. Just wanted to mention it to you since your profile states NC.
Old 09-25-15, 12:27 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Martin321
Adaptive head lamps are illegal in USA. Just wanted to mention it to you since your profile states NC.
It appears as though you are correct. How stupid...so we get the shaft on both cool turn signal lights and adaptive lights. Nice.

Last edited by Bearcat; 09-25-15 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-25-15, 01:18 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Haha we get adaptive high beams in the UK
Old 09-25-15, 01:46 PM
macdee
Driver

Its not even funny how many things are missing or dumbed down in the US. Wow..
In Japan, we don't even have to choose between 8 and 12" navigation. 12" is standard across the board. Including the rest of stuff.
ONE thing I would loved to have is Enform system with oh so nice mobile app integration. We have completely out-of-1990s navigation software here.
Old 09-25-15, 01:52 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Do we get rear view mirror in U.S.?
Old 09-25-15, 04:46 PM
Martin321
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do we get rear view mirror in U.S.?
Hehe, that's optional, we will probably need to get a $2,900 dollar safety package to get the rear view mirror.